Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlap Skipping OTAs and Workouts
(05-23-2018, 10:09 AM)Go Cards Wrote: No huge deal for a seasoned vet to skip.

But with new DC that makes it a little different.

FO needs to get it done.

I don't think Dunlap gets resigned with Lawson, Willis, and now Hubbard on the roster.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 10:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remembering back, Carlos Dunlap took the offer that was team friendly that Michael Johnson turned down, in order to end up in Tampa.  I'm pretty sure that he's ready to get paid, weather it's by the Bengals, or any team in the league.

Cutting players like Michael Johnson and others that don't produce strongly, could make a difference in the team being able to sign Geno and Carlos to extensions, or having to choose one of them.  If I'm the Bengals, I'm cutting bait on the dead weight players and re-upping the guys that I know for certain that I can count on.

Not to derail this thread, but I think signing Geno is going to be difficult. I believe Suh is getting like 14 mil per year....
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 10:44 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: no need for him to risk injury.. dunlap knows what hes doing.   they are VOLUNTARY and he voluntarly gave up 300k to help ensure hes healthy enough to sign for millions

I'd gladly stand in for Carlos for 300K!! Think they would know the difference?? 6'6" black guy suddenly turned into a 5"11" old white guy.... Cool
Reply/Quote
pay the man. great on and off the field
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 08:32 PM)pally Wrote: He is in line for a big contract either from the Bengals or another team.  Why risk injury at this point?  As long as he shows up to camp, in shape and knowing the new playbook, he'll be fine

True that Pally, plus Marv said it is no big deal.

He will be around for Mandatorys. Need to give Carlos a nice extension right after Geno though this is for sure.
Reply/Quote
No reason to get worked up over this he's still under contract for this year. If he holds out on TC and the Preseason, then we might want to start getting worried.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 11:46 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Not to derail this thread, but I think signing Geno is going to be difficult. I believe Suh is getting like 14 mil per year....

that depends a lot on geno himself and what he thinks he should be getting paid
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 11:46 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Not to derail this thread, but I think signing Geno is going to be difficult. I believe Suh is getting like 14 mil per year....

How the hell did the Rams afford all of this?

Didn't they also get Aqib Talib and another top Corner in FA?

(05-23-2018, 04:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that depends a lot on geno himself and what he thinks he should be getting paid

He should be getting paid big money and i am sure we will pay him it. He is essential to our team.

Still think we should be able to pay Dunlap as well. We have the dough.
Reply/Quote
Meh. Lots of players skip OTAs
Well your honor, we've plenty of hearsay and conjecture, those are kinds of evidence. - Lionel Hutz
Reply/Quote

Which was a pay cut. I thought he was due make like 20 mil. 
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 04:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How the hell did the Rams afford all of this?

Didn't they also get Aqib Talib and another top Corner in FA?

Funny things can happen when your starting QB and star HB are on team-friendly rookie deals, and their best defensive player is playing on a rookie deal 5th year option. BIG chunk of the cap in the QB alone. Rams'll be in cap-hell when Goff and Gurley come up for new deals, and are already having a problem getting Donald extended it seems.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 04:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He should be getting paid big money and i am sure we will pay him it. He is essential to our team.

Still think we should be able to pay Dunlap as well. We have the dough.

The franchise tag value for DT should be somewhere around 14M this year.  Does anyone not see Geno as a top 5 player at his position?  He's paid his dues, it's time for the team to pay him what he's worth.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 01:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The franchise tag value for DT should be somewhere around 14M this year.  Does anyone not see Geno as a top 5 player at his position?  He's paid his dues, it's time for the team to pay him what he's worth.

Agree, Geno is still a game changer and should be paid accordingly.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 01:11 PM)Ravage Wrote: Funny things can happen when your starting QB and star HB are on team-friendly rookie deals, and their best defensive player is playing on a rookie deal 5th year option. BIG chunk of the cap in the QB alone. Rams'll be in cap-hell when Goff and Gurley come up for new deals, and are already having a problem getting Donald extended it seems.

Ah, all those guys are still on their rookie deals, i see. Thanks Ravage.

It is already catching up to them. But they sure seem like they are in win it all now mode.

(05-24-2018, 01:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The franchise tag value for DT should be somewhere around 14M this year.  Does anyone not see Geno as a top 5 player at his position?  He's paid his dues, it's time for the team to pay him what he's worth.

Agreed and i personally believe Geno is the best 3 Tech DT in the NFL, better than Donald and Suh.

But this is just my opinion.

(05-24-2018, 01:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree, Geno is still a game changer and should be paid accordingly.

Sure doesn't seem to be slowing down to me that is for sure. Yes sir, pay the man.

Then give Dunlap a 3 year extension who is still relatively young and one of the most disruptive Ends in the game.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 01:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed and i personally believe Geno is the best 3 Tech DT in the NFL, better than Donald and Suh.

But this is just my opinion.

My opinion also.  Maybe not better, but just as good.  Donald is the media darling right now, but Geno is just as good on the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2018, 12:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My opinion also.  Maybe not better, but just as good.  Donald is the media darling right now, but Geno is just as good on the field.

It is close. Think Geno is a better pass rusher, they are about even in stopping the run though.
Reply/Quote
Meh no biggie. He seems to disappear at times during games, so why not in the offseason before camp starts.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2018, 03:30 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Meh no biggie. He seems to disappear at times during games, so why not in the offseason before camp starts.

WTF
He's not perfect, but, you're joking, right?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2018, 03:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: WTF
He's not perfect, but, you're joking, right?

A little I suppose. He is a really good player for sure, really good. But what I said probably was meant more for the coaching, because it seemed when games were on the line or big 3rd downs were happening, seemed like a few of the top players seem to disappear. His numbers though have been very good over the years, wont argue that.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 10:44 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: no need for him to risk injury.. dunlap knows what hes doing.   they are VOLUNTARY and he voluntarly gave up 300k to help ensure hes healthy enough to sign for millions

But skipping OTA's doesn't insure he will stay healthy.

He still needs to work out and the risk of getting hurt in a home gym or commercial gym is no better than at the team facility.

As has been mentioned, what he is missing is an opportunity to get coached in the new defensive scheme, so he could end up hindering himself in that regard.  If Guenther were still DC I wouldn't be as concerned.

And as I mentioned initially, we all know that Geno's deal is coming first, so staying away won't get him moved to the front of the line.  It could, however, lead to resentment on his side that it doesn't accelerate things, or resentment on the team's side for him trying to skip ahead.  I don't want either of those things to happen.
Reply/Quote