Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlap Skipping OTAs and Workouts
just my 2 cents worth, but I don't believe anyone on this TEAM helped us to get in the playoffs last season. That includes the coaches. 7-9 is a very losing season. NOBODY should miss opportunities to get BETTER!!!! I don't give a shit how much you are supposed to be worth! The TEAM had a LOSING season! Get over it and get your asses on the field!

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 08:53 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But skipping OTA's doesn't insure he will stay healthy.

He still needs to work out and the risk of getting hurt in a home gym or commercial gym is no better than at the team facility.

As has been mentioned, what he is missing is an opportunity to get coached in the new defensive scheme, so he could end up hindering himself in that regard.  If Guenther were still DC I wouldn't be as concerned.

And as I mentioned initially, we all know that Geno's deal is coming first, so staying away won't get him moved to the front of the line.  It could, however, lead to resentment on his side that it doesn't accelerate things, or resentment on the team's side for him trying to skip ahead.  I don't want either of those things to happen.

He's a Defensive End. Regardless of what new schemes the backfield is playing, his job is to pretty much get after the quarterback.... I still say it's no big deal, and a great opportunity for the new guys to get more reps.... 
Reply/Quote
Now I'm wondering if Dunlap is part of the group of star players who are threatening to sit out the season. Of course it won't happen for long. They'd lose too much money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 10:02 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Now I'm wondering if Dunlap is part of the group of star players who are threatening to sit out the season.

He sat out the first round of OTAs which were before the anthem decision was announced

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 03:59 PM)pally Wrote: He sat out the first round of OTAs which were before the anthem decision was announced

They aren't talking about sitting out over the anthem.  They're talking about sitting out until Kaepernick and Reid are signed.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 08:47 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: They aren't talking about sitting out over the anthem.  They're talking about sitting out until Kaepernick and Reid are signed.

That will never happen. No way these Diva Millionaire athletes are going to void their contracts, have to repay bonuses, etc. because those two losers can't get on a team....
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 08:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's a Defensive End. Regardless of what new schemes the backfield is playing, his job is to pretty much get after the quarterback.... I still say it's no big deal, and a great opportunity for the new guys to get more reps.... 

Can't do that if you can't defend against the run, and the run fits and responsibilities are dependent on the scheme.

I'm not saying it will hinder him in the end, but you catch my drift...

Very true that the young ones aren't getting more reps out of it.
Reply/Quote
I heard on the news last night that up in the land of the stool, Rothlesberger and Antonio Brown are also missing their OTA's. I think it gets to the point players just don't think they need it.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 10:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I heard on the news last night that up in the land of the stool, Rothlesberger and Antonio Brown are also missing their OTA's. I think it gets to the point players just don't think they need it.

That is what i am thinking.

Austin will still have plenty of time to work with Dunlap and we didn't change our D-line coach.

I am not worried and i highly doubt Dunlap is one of the guys thinking of missing the season for Kaep and Reid.

Highly doubt it. Dunlap is a class act.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is what i am thinking.

Austin will still have plenty of time to work with Dunlap and we didn't change our D-line coach.

I am not worried and i highly doubt Dunlap is one of the guys thinking of missing the season for Kaep and Reid.

Highly doubt it. Dunlap is a class act.

Just interested to hear your thoughts (and avoid misunderstanding your point):

In your opinion, is Dunlap a class act because he is missing voluntary OTAs he might think he doesn't need (as was the point made about the Shittsburgh pukes you replied to)?

And in your opinion, would Dunlap not be a class act if he sat out in solidarity of fellow workers he might think are being blacklisted unjustly? 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...To jump into the conversation and speculation with a few of my own insights:

I have found myself going down the rabbit hole recently being very much interested in following a lot of the Bengals on Instagram (the only social media I mess around with, primarily because it's where I generate marketing for my business.) 

But having a tiny bit of access and exposure to players on a team that I've followed religiously for years is good fun. A couple takeaways I've noticed quite quickly:

1) Players seem to stay friends with each other well beyond contracts and team affiliation (that may or may not be obvious to some fans) ...side note/point of curiosity here - loads of current and recent Bengals from the Marvin era regularly tag and get comments from guys like Akili and Jeff Blake. ...Gresham, Whit, Peko, Baby Hawk, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Big Willie, Levi, Takeo, and plenty of others I'm forgetting pop up with some frequency in the comment section of current players' accounts too. As do players who have never played with Bengals, or may have only played with them in college or high school. 

All of this is to say that it is quickly obvious that the players seem to feel like a fraternity, and not necessarily the kind that shuts the doors when the jersey changes. I note it, because when it comes to loyalty, I like to think of the differences between player and fan expectations.

2) The Bengals players I follow and look for their posts regularly are often doing really cool and commendable things in the community, with their foundations, and with their families. Michael Johnson seems to be a force for good with anything he gets involved with, and I have seen that seem to rub off on Dunlap a lot from his comments and posts. This has actually gone to the point where Dunlap has regularly been encouraging Pac Man to get on board with some of these more positive experiences, and I frankly find it fascinating to kind of people watch.

3) Some of the biggest stars on the team (AJ, Geno, Dunlap) LOVE to go travelling, and not the kind of travelling I think a lot of pro athletes get stereotyped with (posh exclusive resorts, jet-set clubbing, ect). Geno and his wife have been posting highlights for several offseasons now of just getting out all over the world, checking things out like normal people. As someone who has been injected with that vagabond bug a long time ago, and who watches every Bengals game no matter where I am on the road, I really dig seeing it. AJ does the same thing with his wife too. 

Dunlap is the one that's gone on very existential wanderings in the last few years. Always getting away to museums, remote outdoor spots, old-world cities, ect. Makes me wonder if Dahani's legacy had any influence on him? As of a few days ago, Carlos was posting from a 4-wheeler ride on some Costa Rican dirt mountain-road. Him and Michael Johnson both post a ton on continuing education and childhood education too. Again, I'm hooked on seeing what they get up to.

4) Players definitely keep in touch as mentioned above, but also get exposed to and potentially see the pros (and cons) of players' lives who have moved on in free-agency. That's probably an obvious thing to say and an easy concept to believe, but seeing the interaction on social media makes it all the more clear. It's not a hard leap to believe such relations will, even subconsciously, affect decisions when it comes to their own contract signings.

5) In Dunlap's case in particular - I've had a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind for a while now that he might not be as attached to the club as we all hope he would be. I don't really have a ton to back up that claim, I'll admit, and I would be disappointed to see him go, but not hold it against him at all if he did, but for starters as to my inklings, his account name is: Employee96 - not the warmest way to describe your work I would say.

Over the years, there's been a few comments peppered here and there on his account when it comes to contracts of other Bengals (Maualuga was one, Gresh another), and reading a little into context clues, it gives me a subtle impression that the business side of things might be rubbing him the wrong way when it comes to the organization. 

Certainly a lot of speculation obviously on my part, but as a sociology study, following along to the players more personal shares and comments can be very interesting (particularly in the dog days of the off season.) 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anybody else gotten a bit hooked on catching these guys' Instagram feeds? (I admit I don't do twitter at all). Big Willie's Insta account is incredible with all the teaching breakdowns he posts. Pac Man is always posting workout feeds (which he kills) and clubbing feeds (which can be slightly cringe, particularly when I was worried about him getting in trouble late night while he was on the team.)  Vontaze's account is private last I looked, but I would like to catch a more personal side to him. 

Any other gems to recommend? Anybody catch the feel-good story about Gresham helping a girl out with baggage fees on a flight recently?
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 10:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I heard on the news last night that up in the land of the stool, Rothlesberger and Antonio Brown are also missing their OTA's. I think it gets to the point players just don't think they need it.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that it is Dunlap's right to miss OTAs; however, I am not going to pretend it's a good thing (not suggesting you are). Folks like Hubbard, Willis, Brown, and Lawson could be learning a lot from Carlos
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He is a seasoned vet and probably doesnt want to risk getting a major injury in a spring voluntary practice in a contract year. I dont blame him. It seems like this is pretty common with older players and superstars...
Reply/Quote
I feel we have a pretty good one in Willis.

Did anyone hear the sound clip of his interview with the Bengals Beat Podcast guys? Sounds like there was some veterans trying to make it difficult for him last year. He made it sound like those guys are gone now, so the suspected culprit is Gilberry...

Anyways, high hopes for Willis as that tough run stuffing gets a sack here and there type of DE.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 08:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I feel we have a pretty good one in Willis.

Did anyone hear the sound clip of his interview with the Bengals Beat Podcast guys? Sounds like there was some veterans trying to make it difficult for him last year. He made it sound like those guys are gone now, so the suspected culprit is Gilberry...

Anyways, high hopes for Willis as that tough run stuffing gets a sack here and there type of DE.

Willis played quite a bit for a rookie (360 snaps on defense) and did not do a lot to impress me.

But I never judge a player based on his rookie season.  Most guys improve a lot their second year.  I hope he develops into a solid DE. 

I wonder if they are trying to get him bulked up more?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Willis played quite a bit for a rookie (360 snaps on defense) and did not do a lot to impress me.

But I never judge a player based on his rookie season.  Most guys improve a lot their second year.  I hope he develops into a solid DE. 

I wonder if they are trying to get him bulked up more?

He is in a couple of the photos from OTAs and he looks bigger than lastyear!
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 06:38 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: Just interested to hear your thoughts (and avoid misunderstanding your point):

In your opinion, is Dunlap a class act because he is missing voluntary OTAs he might think he doesn't need (as was the point made about the Shittsburgh pukes you replied to)?

And in your opinion, would Dunlap not be a class act if he sat out in solidarity of fellow workers he might think are being blacklisted unjustly? 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Dunlap has come into the league having questionable work ethic and such he has totally thrown this notion
out of the window and has become an outstanding character in the NFL. I think he is missing Voluntarys cause he
is in a contract year and wants to stay healthy. I don't believe this takes away from his character, lots of veteran
players do this. He will be here for Mandatorys and TC.

The Shittsburgh pukes are what they are, scum. Just agreeing with Sled that lots of vet players don't think they
need the Voluntarys nowadays.

I just don't think Dunlap would sit out for those guys. If you think they are being blacklisted unjustly, that is your
opinion. I disagree with it though, these players should of told teams they would stick to playing football this year
instead of saying they will continue to bring politics into the game of football. This is on them IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 06:38 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: 5) In Dunlap's case in particular - I've had a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind for a while now that he might not be as attached to the club as we all hope he would be. I don't really have a ton to back up that claim, I'll admit, and I would be disappointed to see him go, but not hold it against him at all if he did, but for starters as to my inklings, his account name is: Employee96 - not the warmest way to describe your work I would say.

Over the years, there's been a few comments peppered here and there on his account when it comes to contracts of other Bengals (Maualuga was one, Gresh another), and reading a little into context clues, it gives me a subtle impression that the business side of things might be rubbing him the wrong way when it comes to the organization. 

When it came time for his second contract the Bengals chose to pay him and let MJ walk.  I think that would have earned some loyalty to the team.

But we have no idea what all is going on with personal relationships between players coaches and front office.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 07:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I mentioned earlier in the thread that it is Dunlap's right to miss OTAs; however, I am not going to pretend it's a good thing (not suggesting you are). Folks like Hubbard, Willis, Brown, and Lawson could be learning a lot from Carlos

I think folks like Hubbard, Willis, Brown and Lawson are learning more getting more reps under the watchful eyes of their coaches than they would watching Carlos get the reps. This gives the coaches a chance to look for individual weaknesses and correct them.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When it came time for his second contract the Bengals chose to pay him and let MJ walk.  I think that would have earned some loyalty to the team.

But we have no idea what all is going on with personal relationships between players coaches and front office.

Lewis isn't concerned, and said Dunlap was working out elsewhere. I doubt anyone in the front office is concerned....
Reply/Quote
Just read on the front page article on Michael Johnson, that he just joined Dunlap at Carlos Expanded Football Camp.. So I would tend to guess Carlos has been getting ready for his youth camp. No big deal.
Reply/Quote