Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlap Skipping OTAs and Workouts
(06-01-2018, 04:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Lewis isn't concerned, and said Dunlap was working out elsewhere. I doubt anyone in the front office is concerned....

These workouts are voluntary.  Vets all over the league skip them.  No one should be concerned.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 04:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Just read on the front page article on Michael Johnson, that he just joined Dunlap at Carlos Expanded Football Camp.. So I would tend to guess Carlos has been getting ready for his youth camp. No big deal.

Good to know. Like we were thinking all along. Cool
Reply/Quote
A lot of players skip OTAs going into a contract year they want to stay healthy
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 12:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Since Dunlap has come into the league having questionable work ethic and such he has totally thrown this notion
out of the window and has become an outstanding character in the NFL. I think he is missing Voluntarys cause he
is in a contract year and wants to stay healthy. I don't believe this takes away from his character, lots of veteran
players do this. He will be here for Mandatorys and TC.

The Shittsburgh pukes are what they are, scum. Just agreeing with Sled that lots of vet players don't think they
need the Voluntarys nowadays.

I just don't think Dunlap would sit out for those guys. If you think they are being blacklisted unjustly, that is your
opinion. I disagree with it though, these players should of told teams they would stick to playing football this year
instead of saying they will continue to bring politics into the game of football. This is on them IMO.

Thanks for more commentary. Like the point about how Dunlap has really flipped the script on what was portrayed as a questionable work ethic when he first came into the league. He seems to be a leader now for sure.

Makes a lot of sense what you say about stepping back from OTA's as a health precaution in a contract year. It does seem to be a common step for a lot of vets. As an aside - I never fully got behind the idea that young guys would be learning from the vets in OTA's. It always made more sense to me to have the young guys get as many reps as possible.

I can't be for sure at all how Carlos feels about players like Kaepernick and Reid. I do agree that most wouldn't sit out for somebody else, and that's understandable. I do disagree on your point about politics in the game - for me, this isn't a political issue at all. It's a societal issue, a human issue, a justice issue, with no regard for party. 

I certainly don't think any player who feels the same can't compartmentalize his efforts and energy, and would be able to continue to contribute at a high level between the lines. If the players truly can't hack it on the field, that's a different story. But in my opinion, the politics are coming from the stands, and the economics are being decided in the owner's boxes, and the players are just supporting society, while continuing to put on a show we all go crazy for.  
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When it came time for his second contract the Bengals chose to pay him and let MJ walk.  I think that would have earned some loyalty to the team.

But we have no idea what all is going on with personal relationships between players coaches and front office.

Definitely agree there should be some familiarity and a bit of loyalty from the first contract. 

Am I misremembering though that the deal was offered to MJ first, and when he didn't take it, they shifted to Dunlap? ...Or at least was it like, whoever takes this offer first gets signed type thing? I feel like I heard that, but certainly don't know if it was confirmed.

And wouldn't it be great to at least listen in on front office dealings? That's why I do find it pretty interesting to play a bit of psychologist following along with what they're deciding to share on social media. It's as good a thing as any out there to get a little bit of edge on what way people might be inclined to think about things like contracts, teams, teammates, and the league.  
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 06:16 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: Definitely agree there should be some familiarity and a bit of loyalty from the first contract. 

Am I misremembering though that the deal was offered to MJ first, and when he didn't take it, they shifted to Dunlap? ...Or at least was it like, whoever takes this offer first gets signed type thing? I feel like I heard that, but certainly don't know if it was confirmed.

And wouldn't it be great to at least listen in on front office dealings? That's why I do find it pretty interesting to play a bit of psychologist following along with what they're deciding to share on social media. It's as good a thing as any out there to get a little bit of edge on what way people might be inclined to think about things like contracts, teams, teammates, and the league.  

Now you're just creeping me out with all this psycho babble... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 06:16 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: Definitely agree there should be some familiarity and a bit of loyalty from the first contract. 

You're right, they were trying to re-sign Johnson, and when that deal didn't get done they offered the money to Carlos, who jumped on it.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When it came time for his second contract the Bengals chose to pay him and let MJ walk.  I think that would have earned some loyalty to the team.

As I understood the chain of events, at that time, I remember reading that the same offer was put on the table to both Dunlap and MJ.  MJ turned it down, and Carlos accepted.  I'm not so sure it was a situation where the Bengals "chose" one over the other.  Not that it matters a whole lot, as it turned out for the best, I just don't think it's completely fair to say the team chose one over the other, when the same offer was made to both.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The year MJ was a free agent Carlos still had another year on his contract. Isn't that right? They might have tried to sign MJ first because of that. Then if he did not take the deal they gave Dunlap the extension.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 06:06 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: Thanks for more commentary. Like the point about how Dunlap has really flipped the script on what was portrayed as a questionable work ethic when he first came into the league. He seems to be a leader now for sure.

Makes a lot of sense what you say about stepping back from OTA's as a health precaution in a contract year. It does seem to be a common step for a lot of vets. As an aside - I never fully got behind the idea that young guys would be learning from the vets in OTA's. It always made more sense to me to have the young guys get as many reps as possible.

I can't be for sure at all how Carlos feels about players like Kaepernick and Reid. I do agree that most wouldn't sit out for somebody else, and that's understandable. I do disagree on your point about politics in the game - for me, this isn't a political issue at all. It's a societal issue, a human issue, a justice issue, with no regard for party. 

I certainly don't think any player who feels the same can't compartmentalize his efforts and energy, and would be able to continue to contribute at a high level between the lines. If the players truly can't hack it on the field, that's a different story. But in my opinion, the politics are coming from the stands, and the economics are being decided in the owner's boxes, and the players are just supporting society, while continuing to put on a show we all go crazy for.  

Good post man, we may disagree on whether it is a political issue or not but i understand the rest of your post.

I just think football players should stick to playing football. I think those two shit in their own mess kit myself.

There are other places to speak your mind on these issues IMO.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2018, 09:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You're right, they were trying to re-sign Johnson, and when that deal didn't get done they offered the money to Carlos, who jumped on it.

Yep, so happy the MJ deal fell through lol

Dunlap was clearly the more disruptive End and we sure did come out the better of it then Tampa.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 08:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's a Defensive End. Regardless of what new schemes the backfield is playing, his job is to pretty much get after the quarterback.... I still say it's no big deal, and a great opportunity for the new guys to get more reps.... 

Agreed. Whoever calls the alignment and assignments will get him set. So he will be fine. 

Ultimately, he is putting his money where his mouth is, and holding out for an extension.

Does he feel that Hubbard was drafted as bargaining leverage against him? Or does he feel that Hubbard is drafted to replace him?

Maybe he doesn't like the offer.

Who knows.

But whether he comes in now or 2 months from now, doesn't matter much.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2018, 07:57 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Agreed. Whoever calls the alignment and assignments will get him set. So he will be fine. 

Ultimately, he is putting his money where his mouth is, and holding out for an extension.

Does he feel that Hubbard was drafted as bargaining leverage against him? Or does he feel that Hubbard is drafted to replace him?

Maybe he doesn't like the offer.

Who knows.

But whether he comes in now or 2 months from now, doesn't matter much.

Hubbard was drafted to replace MJ.

You don't just replace a player of Dunlap's stature.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hubbard was drafted to replace MJ.

You don't just replace a player of Dunlap's stature.

Well we also drafted Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson. So it seems like the team is prepared to let Dunlap walk if he doesn't accept their offer. Geno has all the negotiating power right now since all we have behind him is Andrew Brown.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 10:57 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Well we also drafted Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson. So it seems like the team is prepared to let Dunlap walk if he doesn't accept their offer. Geno has all the negotiating power right now since all we have behind him is Andrew Brown.

Correct i just hope we can extend both Geno and Dunlap.

As much as i love the Willis, Lawson and Hubbard picks they have yet to prove they are near as disruptive as Dunlap.

Lawson is one hell of a pass rusher but he really needs to work on stopping the run.
Reply/Quote
Dunlap is a bad mofo. plays the run n pass great and stays in the game on every down holding that LDE spot..
Reply/Quote
Dunlap's back...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Dunlaps-return-spices-emerging-pass-rush/233cb061-99e4-4ae7-a107-f94530171649

And sounding ready.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
He's baaaack... and it sounds like he was gone not to "hold out", but because he wants to be in the best shape possible to make a run at the sac record.... Rock On Rock On Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's baaaack... and it sounds like he was gone not to "hold out", but because he wants to be in the best shape possible to make a run at the sac record.... Rock On Rock On Rock On

Lol I’m a big Dunlap fan but he’s never getting anywhere near the sack record. He should have never made that comment.

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 08:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lol I’m a big Dunlap fan but he’s never getting anywhere near the sack record. He should have never made that comment.

How so?

Its completely feasible for anyone to do it. Strahan wasn't some legendary pass-rusher, like LT, Reggie White, Kevin Greene or even DWare, but he was in the second tier, with the Dolemans, the Leslie O'Neals and the Richard Dents: Dunlap is in that same group from an ability standpoint and when luck FINALLY goes his way, the 30 times a year he gets his hands on a QB, only for him to slip out, will FINALLY turn into sacks.

If it was an MJ situation where he was getting stonewalled constantly, I can see the comment as preposterous, but the difference is that Dunlap ACTUALLY GETS TO THE QB lol.

Time will tell though; being a contract year, if he doesn't get signed before the season, we can all expect a blow-up.

But I'm hoping he gets signed (sorry for all the caps).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote