Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlap is playing at a high level
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Seems he's lining up a lot more on the weakside this year than he has in years past. I never understood why we lined him up on the strongside with MJ on the weakside.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He has 5.5 sacks over the past 5 games. He only had 1 sack over his 1st 6 games played. (He missed some games with an injury too.)
Reply/Quote
There were tidbits dropped by Hobson and Taylor, that he was dealing with a knee issue in the first half of the season. Probably would have been better to sit him and let it heal, so we could have gotten this version of Dunlap sooner.
Reply/Quote
I feel pretty good about my defense of big Los before the season when a bunch of people were naming him in that most overrated player thread.

He’s up to 79 career sacks here. He’s earning that extension we gave him. His buddy Geno not so much...

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I feel pretty good about my defense of big Los before the season when a bunch of people were naming him in that most overrated player thread.

He’s up to 79 career sacks here. He’s earning that extension we gave him. His buddy Geno not so much...

Hmm, I wouldn't go discounting Geno's effectiveness, just because he isn't getting the sack.  He pushes the pocket, and often commands a second man's attention, thus freeing up teammates to make the play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I wouldn't go discounting Geno's effectiveness, just because he isn't getting the sack.  He pushes the pocket, and often commands a second man's attention, thus freeing up teammates to make the play.

He just doesn’t get home like he used to. A couple years ago I would argue he’s right there with Aaron Donald, but it’s really not that close anymore. Geno’s game has definitely dropped off, imo. He’s still a good player, but maybe not worthy of being one of the highest paid defensive players in the league

Reply/Quote
He is certainly playing at an All Pro level. My issue is he is 30 years old so the Bengals need to draft/groom a replacement soon. We are seeing a clear decline in Geno (just one year older) so a revamp is in order. Hubbard seems to be a good start. Chase Young? Maybe, but only if the Bengals lose the Burrow pick.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He just doesn’t get home like he used to. A couple years ago I would argue he’s right there with Aaron Donald, but it’s really not that close anymore. Geno’s game has definitely dropped off, imo. He’s still a good player, but maybe not worthy of being one of the highest paid defensive players in the league

I'm really not wanting to argue, but he still commands a second blocker's attention.  That is worth money, in and of itself, as that is typically a respect given only to the NT on a 4 front defense.  However, going strictly by sacks and hits, yeah he sucks ass now...  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm really not wanting to argue, but he still commands a second blocker's attention.  That is worth money, in and of itself, as that is typically a respect given only to the NT on a 4 front defense.  However, going strictly by sacks and hits, yeah he sucks ass now...  Ninja

I never said he sucks, I literally just said he’s still a good player. But we pay him as one of the best defensive players in the league (especially at his age), and he does have a tendency to go MIA for large chunks of a season the last couple years.

*i fully admit I’m being a hypocrite focusing on the money, as I just said I don’t care about Mike Brown’s money in another thread talking about AJ lol

Geno is just frustrating to me. He’s one of my favorite Bengals of all time, and there was a point I thought he’d be the 2nd Bengal to go into the HoF, but IMO his play has noticeably dropped off.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I never said he sucks, I literally just said he’s still a good player. But we pay him as one of the best defensive players in the league (especially at his age), and he does have a tendency to go MIA for large chunks of a season the last couple years.

*i fully admit I’m being a hypocrite focusing on the money, as I just said I don’t care about Mike Brown’s money in another thread talking about AJ lol

Geno is just frustrating to me. He’s one of my favorite Bengals of all time, and there was a point I thought he’d be the 2nd Bengal to go into the HoF, but IMO his play has noticeably dropped off.

Why do you think that he goes long periods of time without sacks?  I'm betting that it's not because he's lost his touch, as much as opposing OCs have a big, huge gold star over his position in the lineup, when they are game planning for the week.  Most teams prepare to block from the inside, working outward, so he commands the most respect, and thus the most attention.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It almost seems that we compare Atkins and Dunlap like they’re both DE’s. Atkins is still a stud but he probably is in the beginning of the inevitable decline.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I never said he sucks, I literally just said he’s still a good player. But we pay him as one of the best defensive players in the league (especially at his age), and he does have a tendency to go MIA for large chunks of a season the last couple years.

1.) I don't agree with you often but you're right on Green they need to keep him.

2.) Geno is a hall of famer already.

3.) I don't know if it's injury, old age, or scheme but he hasn't been that effective recently since the Pittsburgh game(PFF credited him with multiple pressures). I think it's more scheme and him just playing too much. We need a backup 3T to allow him to stay fresh. He played 90% of the snaps yesterday that's too much.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Ben Baby retweeted a graphic on DT’s pass rush win rate and double team blocked rate and Geno was at league average in both categories, barely above Billings. So, Geno is not winning one-on-one blocks like he used to and he isn’t being double teamed anymore than any other average DT.

https://twitter.com/sethwalder/status/1205222343120957449
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why do you think that he goes long periods of time without sacks?  I'm betting that it's not because he's lost his touch, as much as opposing OCs have a big, huge gold star over his position in the lineup, when they are game planning for the week.  Most teams prepare to block from the inside, working outward, so he commands the most respect, and thus the most attention.

Well, sure, but you don’t think opposing teams plan for Donald and other dominant pass rushers the same way? I’m not saying Geno takes plays off, I just don’t think he’s what he once was.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:44 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) I don't agree with you often but you're right on Green they need to keep him.

2.) Geno is a hall of famer already.

3.) I don't know if it's injury, old age, or scheme but he hasn't been that effective recently since the Pittsburgh game(PFF credited him with multiple pressures). I think it's more scheme and him just playing too much. We need a backup 3T to allow him to stay fresh. He played 90% of the snaps yesterday that's too much.

I’m not so sure. We’ve seen Bengal players like Ken Riley get the shaft before. You almost need to be so unbelievably good (Munoz) they can’t overlook you if you’re a Bengal.

If Geno was a Steeler or Cowboy he’d probably have a much better chance.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:45 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Ben Baby retweeted a graphic on DT’s pass rush win rate and double team blocked rate and Geno was at league average in both categories, barely above Billings. So, Geno is not winning one-on-one blocks like he used to and he isn’t being double teamed anymore than any other average DT.

https://twitter.com/sethwalder/status/1205222343120957449

And that’s exactly what the eye test has been telling me...

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 12:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not so sure. We’ve seen Bengal players like Ken Riley get the shaft before. You almost need to be so unbelievably good (Munoz) they can’t overlook you if you’re a Bengal.

If Geno was a Steeler or Cowboy he’d probably have a much better chance.

Agree. Geno has been over 9 sacks 5 times in his 10 year career. His high was 12.5.

Donald has played 6 years...and has been over 8 sacks EVERY year. And he had 20.5 sacks last year. He's had 11 3 times including this year with 2 games to go.

Geno has had a great career for a Bengals, but he's also had some average years too. I doubt he'll be a HOFer. He has a better case than AJ though.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 12:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agree. Geno has been over 9 sacks 5 times in his 10 year career. His high was 12.5.

Donald has played 6 years...and has been over 8 sacks EVERY year. And he had 20.5 sacks last year. He's had 11 3 times including this year with 2 games to go.

Geno has had a great career for a Bengals, but he's also had some average years too. I doubt he'll be a HOFer. He has a better case than AJ though.

He has done a lot better than Suh, Cox, Heyward and McCoy in his career.  As far as interior pass rushers go he is the third best of this decade behind JJ Watt and Aaron Donald. 
He is a 100% a first ballot Hall of famer.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 04:31 AM)J24 Wrote: He has done a lot better than Suh, Cox, Heyward and McCoy in his career.  As far as interior pass rushers go he is the third best of this decade behind JJ Watt and Aaron Donald. 
He is a 100% a first ballot Hall of famer.

I hope you’re right.

Reply/Quote