Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We could've (should've) had Drew Brees
(01-20-2021, 11:56 AM)mas_fuerte Wrote: Exactly. 

Hell, even though we took Justin Smith in that draft, he didn't become Justin Smith until he went to San Francisco. Made 5 straight Pro Bowls with the 49ers. 

What still bothers me is his stats while here and there are almost identical. But there he’s a pro bowler.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 05:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: who was the coach for all of that?  would Dick have still hung around?

They probably would've sat him his first year. I think Lebeau would've still been canned.

Also... I'm in no way putting Brees down if he were here. He was always a really nice player. He was at Perdue toward the end of my time at Ohio State, so I'd been aware of him for awhile before he got the NFL. He used to singlehandedly do damage against John Cooper's teams during his collegiate days. I think he even played a hand in getting him fired. It was so long ago, that I don't remember, but I think Perdue beat Ohio State his senior year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 09:54 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: What still bothers me is his stats while here and there are almost identical.  But there he’s a pro bowler.

Different responsibilities/expectations between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 DE. In the 4-3, you're expected to be the primary pass rusher for your team.

Same reason why Manny Lawson getting 2 sacks with the Bengals as a 4-3 OLB was okay, but if he got that as a 3-4 OLB, it'd be awful.

It's a bit rough of a stat, but if you look at the Pro Football Reference page for Justin Smith, you can see where his AV (Approximate Value) went from 50 in 7 years with the Bengals to 83 in 7 years with the 49ers.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 09:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: For those who don't know, Paul Alexander has a weekly call in spot with Moving the Chains on SiriusXM NFL Radio.  I caught his segment today, and told a story about Brees.

So in the preliminary meeting for 2001 draft evaluation, Mike Brown walked in and stated that he wanted the Drew Brees as our pick at the top of the first round.  Paul said we were picking 3, but it was actually 4 overall.  Apparently all of the coaches who had input on QB evaluation started trying to talk him out of it, pointing out arm strength and other perceived weaknesses, while pointing out that we already had Akili Smith on the roster.  It seems that they continually had to fight to change his mind throughout the entire draft process.  Ultimately the coaches won out and we took Justin Smith instead.  Paul then mentioned that he ended up at the Perdue Pro-Day evaluating someone, and that Drew through some balls that day.  Paul stated he watched him throw some and told other staff members, "His arm is stronger than Akili's arm is".

I wonder what could've been had Mikey not given in...

I remember this. But before anyone glorifies Mike Brown just remember that he's the one, against the advice of the coaches, drafted Akili Smith and turned down the Saint's draft offer just two years before.

In addition, Brees was not the Brees of today until he hooked up with Sean Payton. Remember that San Diego drafted Eli Manning and traded him for Philip Rivers to replace Drew Brees, then just let Brees walk when his rookie contract was up. The news at the time was that Brees' shoulder was shot. Miami almost signed Brees, but bailed when their doctors examined Brees' shoulder. Sean Payton swooped in and nabbed him. By that time the Bengals had Carson Palmer.

It's interesting that Brees outlasted Eli Manning, Carson Palmer and possibly Philip Rivers if Brees doesn't retire.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 10:07 PM)jason Wrote: There's actually a video on YouTube about this... The subsequent moves we would've made, and all that. Oh... And we won a Super Bowl or became a dynasty with him... I don't remember because I'm not buying it.

Drew Brees never becomes the Drew Brees we know today if he were drafted by Cincinnati... Especially THAT Cincinnati.

I was going to say that Drew Brees in Cincy would've been like the Drew Brees of his first 3 years in SD...except our guys wouldn't have been capable of coaching him out of it.

He would've never become the good QB he was later on in SD...let alone the record shattering QB he became under Sean Payton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
There is a similar story about the 1998 draft.

The Bengals had 2 picks in the middle of the first round. Mike wanted DE Vonnie Holliday and WR Randy Moss. The coaching staff wanted linebackers Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote