Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dwayne Johnson 'The Rock' slammed for going to aquarium
I was just browsing on MSN and came across this one the front page about Johnson and his family going to an aquarium in Georgia. The title was the same as above basically, and here is more of the article at everyone's favorite Fox news site http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/08/06/dwayne-rock-johnson-upsets-animal-rights-advocates-with-pictures-from-aquarium-visit.html

Basically he was being criticized by animal rights activists that he was supporting animal captivity. These would be the same people that are against zoos as well I imagine. Yawn, idiots, but whatever.

If these animal rights activists got there way to get zoos and aquariums to close forever, they may feel good for the time being. But in just a few short decades when conservation funds dry up because of what zoos do, those animals most likely will cease to exist.

So in a way animal rights activists like these ones want to see these animals set free, but with their narrow viewpoints don't care about preventing extinction of many species. I mean it's like if an animal goes extinct, at least they werent in a cage. But those 'cages' in some cases is perhaps the only reason they still exist today, because of the money they can generate to help them survive.

Anyways something to spice up P&R outside of politics. Because, yeah.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I always try to give the activists a bit of leeway if the zoo is not well kept, the animals are abused, etc.   It doesn't hurt to have someone watching them.

But so many go so far to the extreme that I just can't support them.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-07-2018, 02:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: I always try to give the activists a bit of leeway if the zoo is not well kept, the animals are abused, etc.   It doesn't hurt to have someone watching them.

Same here. I am all for animal rights in terms of abuse and neglect. But I am also for animal rights to exist in the big picture as well. Which is where the money that zoos generate help tremendously. I keep up with Jack Hanna up in Columbus Zoo, and they have had millions pour in over the years which directly correlates to conservation efforts in parts of Africa on reserves, mainly paying security rangers or whatever they call them to keep poachers out.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

We should close the zoos and aquariums and transfer the animals to places that would support their conservation and upkeep. Since that's going to be expensive, we should sell tickets to this place. Which would work out since the people buying the tickets will get exposure to animals that (most likely) they wouldn't be able to see.

Mellow
(08-07-2018, 02:19 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I was just browsing on MSN and came across this one the front page about Johnson and his family going to an aquarium in Georgia. The title was the same as above basically, and here is more of the article at everyone's favorite Fox news site http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/08/06/dwayne-rock-johnson-upsets-animal-rights-advocates-with-pictures-from-aquarium-visit.html

Basically he was being criticized by animal rights activists that he was supporting animal captivity. These would be the same people that are against zoos as well I imagine. Yawn, idiots, but whatever.

If these animal rights activists got there way to get zoos and aquariums to close forever, they may feel good for the time being. But in just a few short decades when conservation funds dry up because of what zoos do, those animals most likely will cease to exist.

So in a way animal rights activists like these ones want to see these animals set free, but with their narrow viewpoints don't care about preventing extinction of many species. I mean it's like if an animal goes extinct, at least they werent in a cage. But those 'cages' in some cases is perhaps the only reason they still exist today, because of the money they can generate to help them survive.

Anyways something to spice up P&R outside of politics. Because, yeah.

people should be careful trying to slam the rock...

or they might just end up smelling what he is cooking    after he turns his boot sideways and sticks it straight up their Candy-.......
(08-07-2018, 02:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: I always try to give the activists a bit of leeway if the zoo is not well kept, the animals are abused, etc.   It doesn't hurt to have someone watching them.

Absolutely. Aside from social programs, conservation is one of my favorite policy topics and so I think about these sorts of issues on a regular basis. I have had people argue with me that zoos and aquariums should not be and there is certainly room for discussion when animals are mistreated. However, there are some animals that we need zoos and aquariums for to facilitate the conservation process. Most importantly, though, they also serve an educational purpose.

Many people will never experience the places these animals exist in the wild, but because the earth's ecosystems are so intricately tied together, what we do here in the United States affects the rainforests, the tundras, the oceans, etc. Zoos and aquariums allow people to see animals they would otherwise never see, creating a connection to places that are far off but feel impacts from what we do. Using this to educate the public on the choices we make and how they impact animals all over the world is something that has an immense value. Sure, menageries don't have the best reputation in history, originating from wealthy assholes doing shitty things, but they have evolved into something important for our society in modern times.

/rant
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
These animal rights activists are hypocrites.

They claim they want people to treat animals better but then they pitch a fit when I want to marry a sheep and bring her in out of the cold fields to a nice warm house.
(08-07-2018, 03:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Absolutely. Aside from social programs, conservation is one of my favorite policy topics and so I think about these sorts of issues on a regular basis. I have had people argue with me that zoos and aquariums should not be and there is certainly room for discussion when animals are mistreated. However, there are some animals that we need zoos and aquariums for to facilitate the conservation process. Most importantly, though, they also serve an educational purpose.

Many people will never experience the places these animals exist in the wild, but because the earth's ecosystems are so intricately tied together, what we do here in the United States affects the rainforests, the tundras, the oceans, etc. Zoos and aquariums allow people to see animals they would otherwise never see, creating a connection to places that are far off but feel impacts from what we do. Using this to educate the public on the choices we make and how they impact animals all over the world is something that has an immense value. Sure, menageries don't have the best reputation in history, originating from wealthy assholes doing shitty things, but they have evolved into something important for our society in modern times.

/rant
I like elephants.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-07-2018, 05:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I like elephants.

So why don't you like lions!? Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

That's perfectly fine, good sir.  No one around here will ever criticize your choice of women.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
when it comes to the larger animals they should have to work for their food at a zoo. It would be good for them to get a little exercise. Just a few hours a day pulling wagons or plows or electrical generators. That is not too much to ask.

And drug testing. Any animal living in a zoo should be subject to random drug screens.
Harambe is not a fan of Zoos
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Of course you do.

They are massive consumers.

And they produce more crap than any animal on earth.  

Seriously, they barely digest what they eat.  Their dung is full of in tact plant fiber.  

Very appropriate.

Much better than donkeys
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-08-2018, 12:10 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Much better than donkeys

I made the transition to the porcupine in 2009.
(08-07-2018, 03:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: These animal rights activists are hypocrites.

They claim they want people to treat animals better but then they pitch a fit when I want to marry a sheep and bring her in out of the cold fields to a nice warm house.

They are fine with the marriage. It’s the verbal abuse they won’t tolerate.
(08-07-2018, 11:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: when it comes to the larger animals they should have to work for their food at a zoo. It would be good for them to get a little exercise. Just a few hours a day pulling wagons or plows or electrical generators. That is not too much to ask.

And drug testing. Any animal living in a zoo should be subject to random drug screens.

Will never happen while Dems are running the zoos.

And why import animals to do what hard working American animals can probably do better.

Bit of a sidebar, but i head the story recently of how the donkey became the symbols of the Democrats. Apparently, it was an opponent of Jackson calling him a jackass. They felt like they should keep the symbol for some reason.

(08-07-2018, 11:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course you do.

They are massive consumers.

And they produce more crap than any animal on earth.  

Seriously, they barely digest what they eat.  Their dung is full of in tact plant fiber.  

Very appropriate.

You may not recall, but the Cincinnati Zoo has Asian elephants.  Very frugal.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Took me a minute to figure out where you picked donkeys from.  No I just like the elephants.  Wish we had some African ones here.