Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic Novels
I just read all 5 Red Rising Novels and would really like to stick to the genre at the moment. I've already read 1984, The Stand, Ender's Saga, I am Legend, Dies the Dire, and The Dark Tower plus quite a few others lol.

I was just wondering if anyone new any good series in the Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic Adventure Genre.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:05 PM)Synric Wrote: I just read all 5 Red Rising Novels and would really like to stick to the genre at the moment. I've already read 1984, The Stand, Ender's Saga, I am Legend, Dies the Dire, and The Dark Tower plus quite a few others lol.

I was just wondering if anyone new any good series in the Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic Adventure Genre.

Heard the Passage was in the genre...

I want to Read the Expanse Series next myself.  near future dystopian... (not sure if you would count those as its set in the future where humans have colonized i number of planets/moons in the solar system...  ) 
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I want to Read the Expanse Series next myself.  near future dystopian... (not sure if you would count those as its set in the future where humans have colonized i number of planets/moons in the solar system...  ) 

That's what Red Rising is Earth colonized most the the solar system and then those colonies end up conquering Earth and setting up a Class system based on colors. First book starts a little slow but after that the series is hard to put down.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:37 PM)Synric Wrote: That's what Red Rising is Earth colonized most the the solar system and then those colonies end up conquering Earth and setting up a Class system based on colors. First book starts a little slow but after that the series is hard to put down.

Ahh no idea about Red Rising myself.  But sound similar although the Expanse has a sci-fi element to it(not just the fact its in space lol).
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Heard the Passage was in the genre...

I want to Read the Expanse Series next myself.  near future dystopian... (not sure if you would count those as its set in the future where humans have colonized i number of planets/moons in the solar system...  ) 

I read the Expanse this year and really really enjoyed the series. I definitely think it is worth checking out. It has some great ideas, but comes off as more of a Blockbuster than the classics like 1984. The show is great as well. 

Some other classic books of the genre that I enjoyed were Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451.

I fell into the same genre and these are a few more that I enjoyed over the last couple of years:
The Handmaid's Tale
Station 11 (similar to the Stand)
Dune (more Sci-fi like The Expanse, but the future is definitely rough)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (This is what Blade Runner was loosely based off - more scifi lol)
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
That CW series “The 100” was based off a series of books that I can’t recall the name of off the top of my head. I really enjoyed that show, so I figure “books are usually better than their cinematic versions” right?
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 04:38 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: That CW series “The 100” was based off a series of books that I can’t recall the name of off the top of my head. I really enjoyed that show, so I figure “books are usually better than their cinematic versions” right?

...well everyone keeps telling me how great the new Dune movie is so that would be a step up compared to how boring the novel was...lol. 

Dune is one of those hot or cold books you either loved it or were bored to death I'm in the latter.

Reply/Quote
Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite authors.

"The Road" is considered one of his best works.  It won a Pulitzer prize and they made a movie based on it.

But I will not read "The Road" because when McCarthy does "dark" it gets ***** harsh.  I had to go on anti-depressants after I read "Blood Meridian".

However, "The Road" is considered one of the all-time classic dystopian novels and McCarthy is a highly skilled writer.  So if you like that genre I have to recommend it.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 08:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite writers.

"The Road" is considered one of his best works.  It won a Pulitzer prize and they made a movie based on it.

But I will not read "The Road" because when McCarthy does "dark" it gets ***** harsh.  I had to go on anti-depressants after I read "Blood Meridian".

However, "The Road" is considered one of the all-time classic dystopian novels and McCarthy is a highly skilled writer.  So if you like that genre I have to recommend it.

We read The Road in high school and I absolutely loved it. Definitely second this recommendation.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I literally entered the thread to recommend "The Road". So consider that recommendation reiterated.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 09:35 PM)MrRager Wrote: We read The Road in high school and I absolutely loved it. Definitely second this recommendation.

(11-11-2021, 12:54 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I literally entered the thread to recommend "The Road".  So consider that recommendation reiterated.

I have read almost everything else he has written.  Guess I will eventually read "The Road".  I will just make sure it is in the spring when the weather is nice and the flowers are blooming.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 08:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite authors.

Probably my favorite book of all time. But you’re right on just how dark he goes. Some of the things like the tree of you know what will stay with you forever…

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 08:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite authors.

It's usually the first Post-Apocalyptic book everyone recommend and honestly I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The Road takes you on a dark depressing ride and drops you off in the middle of nowhere.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 09:33 AM)Synric Wrote: It's usually the first Post-Apocalyptic book everyone recommend and honestly I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The Road takes you on a dark depressing ride and drops you off in the middle of nowhere.

This is exactly what I suspected, but I think people who are drawn to the dystopian genre often expect something like that.  

Kind of OT, but it is strange for me to be part of a literary discussion about one of my favorite authors when I have not even read the book we are talking about.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:05 PM)Synric Wrote: I just read all 5 Red Rising Novels and would really like to stick to the genre at the moment. I've already read 1984, The Stand, Ender's Saga, I am Legend, Dies the Dire, and The Dark Tower plus quite a few others lol.

Try out..
The Postman: it's very different from the movie.
Hell Divers: wasn't a bad series read so long as you realize you're not getting cerebral writing and it's more action-y.

People's Suggestions I Saw And Have Read...
-The Passage: was pretty good but I felt like the book really dragged on for too long and probably could have cut a decent amount out of it. I read it hardcover years ago and it was 1,300+ pages and it is book 1 of 3 if I recall correctly.
-Dune: I have to admit back when I read it I found it 1 part interesting, 3 parts boring.
-The Road: I would also suggest it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote