Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EIFERT OPTING FOR SEASON ENDING BACK SURGERY
(10-21-2017, 07:14 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Does anyone know of any cases of NFL players getting similar back surgery (or any back surgery) and performing at a high level (not winning, performing, lol). Eifert's Bengals career is probably done, I have to believe. It starts and ends quickly for most (I believe average is 3 year career?).

Gronk...

He's had what 3 back surgeries now? One coming in to the pros and 2 since?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 03:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'll pull up the numbers for you when I have the time, but if you don't feel like waiting, go ahead and look up how many RBs have had 8+ TDs and compare it to how many TEs that have had 8+ TDs through the years. Also look at our own team history. Hill, BJGE, Benson, Rudi, Corey, Ki-Jana and many others have had 8+ scores, just off the top of my head.

Outside of Eifert, how many Bengals TE's have had 8+ TDs in the past 25 years?

Perhaps I will research how many Bengal RBs had 30 TDs in thier first 3 seasons. 

Point is: Eifert scores TDs we say "holy cow". Hill scores TDs we say "That's all?" 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 02:35 PM)McC Wrote: You forgot the can punch it in from a yard out part.

Meh, that's because it was made up in an attempt to diminish what Jeremy has done. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 07:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Meh, that's because it was made up in an attempt to diminish what Jeremy has done. 

Okay.

Now, this is me quietly stepping out of the middle of this and going elsewhere.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 07:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps I will research how many Bengal RBs had 30 TDs in thier first 3 seasons. 

Point is: Eifert scores TDs we say "holy cow". Hill scores TDs we say "That's all?" 

I get your point, but it's just easier for a RB to punch it in from the 1-2 yard line than it is for a receiver to consistently find ways to get open in the EZ or outjump defender's for the ball. It's more of a rare and useful skill set, whereas just about any RB that gets consistent touches near the EZ will wind up with a healthy TD number.

The proof in what I'm saying is the long list of Bengals RBs to hit 8-10 TDs through the years, and the very short list of TEs to do the same.

Fwiw, I'm not a Hill hater. I think we have 3 talented backs that are hindered by an awful line.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 07:14 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Does anyone know of any cases of NFL players getting similar back surgery (or any back surgery) and performing at a high level (not winning, performing, lol). Eifert's Bengals career is probably done, I have to believe. It starts and ends quickly for most (I believe average is 3 year career?).

(10-21-2017, 07:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Gronk...

He's had what 3 back surgeries now? One coming in to the pros and 2 since?

As Synric said, Gronk.

Also the whole "3 year career" thing is sorta BS. A first round pick (like Eifert) has an average career length of a little over 9 years, so it's hardly meaningful to use that number when talking about Eifert. For that matter, someone with 1 Pro Bowl (also like Eifert) under their belt plays for almost 12 years.

Unless you want to start throwing Eifert or AJ Green and Jay Finley or Freddie Brown into the same broad group.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 07:34 PM)McC Wrote: The doctors tell him he'll be back to 100%.

So did Tiger Woods doctors, the first time, the second time, and the third time...
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:20 PM)Utts Wrote: So did Tiger Woods doctors, the first time, the second time, and the third time...

Yeah, I know.  But I can't pass judgment on the doctor, having never met him or even learned his name, which makes me unqualified to call the man a liar. 

I read the statement on the home page and passed it on.  That is my entire involvement.  If you think he's a liar, makes no nevermind to me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:28 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah, I know.  But I can't pass judgment on the doctor, having never met him or even learned his name, which makes me unqualified to call the man a liar. 

I read the statement on the home page and passed it on.  That is my entire involvement.  If you think he's a liar, makes no nevermind to me.

Not calling anyone a liar. It's just that back injuries are tricky things. You really don't know how they will respond.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:32 PM)Utts Wrote: Not calling anyone a liar. It's just that back injuries are tricky things. You really don't know how they will respond.

Absolutely.  I have had a back issue for years.  Goes out badly on me at least two or three times a year.  Preaching to the choir.

Used to have two guys with very similar back problems who worked for me.  They both had surgery.  One guy was back to work in a week.  The other guy never came back.  Such is the nature of the beast.

But to me, it doesn't seem likely these doctors would not make such a statement if they weren't extremely confident in the outcome.  Otherwise, that's a mighty long limb they'd be going out on, right?

Reply/Quote
Not saying Eifert's doc is full of malarky, but if any doc told me I could play pro football after 3 back surgeries I'd run like hell from the guy and never look back. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 07:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps I will research how many Bengal RBs had 30 TDs in thier first 3 seasons. 

I already told you. On any given drive, there are multiple receivers that can advance the ball down the field. On those same plays, there are much less options advancing the ball down the field by running it. 

TEs aren't expected to get a lot of yards receiving. Running backs are usually expected to get more yards rushing. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote