Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Be Hatin!
(05-09-2018, 06:36 PM)GodFather Wrote: Your looking at this from a Bengals fan perspective. The Bengals re-sign Lewis after two miserable seasons. Your going into a new season with a new DC and OC hired from within. The draft isn't going to turn this team into a Super Bowl contender by any means.

Do I think we are better than that? Yes I absolutely do. Does this team deserve the benefit of a doubt? Absolutely not. When it always come down to getting tough and pulling it out we fail 100% of the time under Lewis.

So I personally am glad so little is thought of us and hope the coaches and players see that too and prove everyone wrong..... or not.

And there you have it.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2018, 06:29 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: You mean the same d coordinator that’s now our new d coordinator?

I wasn't a fan of the Austin hire. It could be worse, but he doesn't have the track record or good influences (Parcells) that Zimmer had when we hired him. This reeked of Marvin taking more control of the D again. Hiring a fellow Pittsburgh native to be his yes man. He didn't even wait and let Austin have say on his staff. Just my opinion, but that's how it looked to me.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I don't care what pundits say. I'm a Bengals fan ,win/lose or draw.. If we go on a Clevelandesque run of terrible I'm still a Bengals fan. Oh, I dunno .if we become 90ish again I'll probably just stop watching ,but they're still the team I want to win. It's much like wanting beautiful, sunny and warm weather every February . Whenever it's like that in February I don't complain about it .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2018, 04:14 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: So beating two teams that would have gone to the playoffs doesn't matter? I am calling BS on this. Winning those games was impressive and shows us what type of heart and professionalism this team has. Also why not mention that we lossed to Pittsburgh by a field Goal, Tennessee by a late touchdown, and lost in overtime to an Aaron Rodgers lead Packer team. If those three games are won we're 10-6 not 7-9.

Most of the teams in the league can make these kinds of excuses. Hell, didn’t Cleveland lose a bunch of close games last year? You are what your record says your are. Losing close games means nothing.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Broncos also lost one of the best CBs in the league (Talib) and their leading rusher (Anderson).

You can't just look at additions and ignore the losses.

We've lost no one of value and made solid additions.  I don't see how we could have gotten worse.

What is really dumb is they had our ESPN writer predict our win total and she predicted 8-8.  Then , on the comment of our Power ranking slot, she gave a reason why we should be ranked 29th. So she is thinking that if we go 8-8 we will be the 29th best team in the NFL. That does not make sense to me. 

Also, what in the hell do people see in Tampa Bay that makes them think they are going to make the playoffs every year? Andy Dalton has actually made the playoffs 5 times but yet we get zero respect for the season predictions. How does Winston still inspire people to pick him when he does nothing?
Reply/Quote
2015 notwithstanding, the Bengals best seasons have come after previous disappointing seasons and little to no media expectation.

I would expect nothing different this time from ESPN. They don't watch as intently as us fans and know every weakness and upgrade to address those weaknesses. Last year was bad but there were games for the taking we should have won: Green Bay, Pitt at home, Houston to name a few. If those game go the other way the conversation is different.

The below to me are wildcards from last year"

- Improved OL play (both at Center and LT, RT still questionable)
- Healthy John Ross (we'll see)
- Improved LB play against the run (picked up solid tackler in Preston Brown)
- Healthy Eifert (I know that's an oxymoron but I'm an optimist)
- Improved safety play
- Mixon no longer a rookie
- AJ Green (yep, down year last year will come back with a vengeance IMO)

and..... most importantly, addition by subtraction:

- New OL coach (this by itself is reason to be optimistic)

Sure there are others but these came to mind quickly. I'm excited for 2018, drinking the Kool-Aid already.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 12:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Most of the teams in the league can make these kinds of excuses. Hell, didn’t Cleveland lose a bunch of close games last year? You are what your record says your are. Losing close games means nothing.

JakeyPoo's comments were in response to a claim that we were rated lower because some of our losses were blowouts insteadof being close.

So if you do look at scores instead of just the W/L record you have to take into account the how close some of the losses were as well as how many of them were blowouts.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 09:02 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: - Mixon no longer a rookie

Here is something a lot of fans are overlooking when it comes to improving in '18.

Many people hate on our '17 draft because our #1 pick did nothing, but overall we had 6 draft picks who played over 25% of the team snaps (not counting special teams) Lawson 42%, Mixon 40%, Glasglow 36%, Willis 31%,  Evans 27%, and Malone 26%.  That is very rare for us.  In fact it is the same number from our previous 4 drafts combined.

So if all of these rookies just make the usual level of improvement from the rookie season to the second we will have a lot of better play at a lot of positions.

And if Ross plays anything like a first riund pick the players from the '17 draft will have a huge impact on our roster.  They may not all be starters but they will be on the field for a lot of snaps.  Evans is really the only one I can see who might have his role reduced. 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 03:12 PM)Brimey Wrote: Almost every post draft ranking I've seen has the Bengals in the bottom 5. I'm confused as to why, but I've been know to see this team through rose colored glasses before the stark reality of a losing season slaps me in the face. But i see...

A slightly above average QB who played at an MVP level just 2 seasons ago

A young dynamic back, with a shifty proven backup

An elite WR, a 1st round pick, and a few promising Young's at WR

An elite TE when healthy and a backup who played well last year

A good LT, 1st round center, above average left guard. Right side of the line is a big question mark

An elite HOF level DT, an excellent DE an bevy of young players on the DL. An edge rusher in Lawson who flashed at times Von Miller like in season one for him

A LB core that has 2 proven vets and some young guys battling for the 3rd spot

A CB who has shown he can be elite and looks to take that step this year. Multiple veteran corners.

Two average safeties and a 2nd round pick...

Not a ton of holes and a good mix of solid vets and up and comers..Maybe I'm delusional but this looks like a 10-6 team and maybe better if some of the young guys who have a question mark next to their name step up. Talking Billings, Willis, Ross, Boyd, Malone, Vigil, and Fisher

You're forgetting the counterweight to all of that: Marvin Lewis + Toughest division in football over the last 15 years (which only got better in the offseason) = Neutralized.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 09:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is something a lot of fans are overlooking when it comes to improving in '18.

Many people hate on our '17 draft because our #1 pick did nothing, but overall we had 6 draft picks who played over 25% of the team snaps (not counting special teams) Lawson 42%, Mixon 40%, Glasglow 36%, Willis 31%,  Evans 27%, and Malone 26%.  That is very rare for us.  In fact it is the same number from our last 4 drafts combined.

So if all of these rookies just make the usual level of improvement from the rookie season to the second we will have a lot of better play at a lot of positions.

And if Ross plays anything like a first riund pick the players from the '17 draft will have a huge impact on our roster.  They may not all be starters but they will be on the field for a lot of snaps.  Evans is really the only one I can see who might have his role reduced. 

Mixon should be the biggest "improver".....along with Gio.  The blocking scheme will change to a more aggressive approach, and on paper, the personnel should be improved up front.  So, not only will he benefit from having a year under his belt, he should benefit from the changes to the offensive line.  If the last 6 games of '17 are any indication, the run game should be much improved.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 09:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: JakeyPoo's comments were in response to a claim that we were rated lower because some of our losses were blowouts insteadof being close.

So if you do look at scores instead of just the W/L record you have to take into account the how close some of the losses were as well as how many of them were blowouts.

The losses in the 2016 season were actually very close, with the Bengals going into the 4th quarter with the lead and being unable to hold it. I think that happened in 5 of their losses that season.

Remember when it was the kicker causing the losses (2016)? Now it's the O-Line (2017)? I wonder which unit it will be this year?  Hmm
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 09:23 AM)PDub80 Wrote: You're forgetting the counterweight to all of that: Marvin Lewis + Toughest division in football over the last 15 years (which only got better in the offseason) = Neutralized.

We have made the playoffs 6 of the last 9 years in this division with Marvin as head coach.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2018, 04:14 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: So beating two teams that would have gone to the playoffs doesn't matter? I am calling BS on this. Winning those games was impressive and shows us what type of heart and professionalism this team has. Also why not mention that we lossed to Pittsburgh by a field Goal, Tennessee by a late touchdown, and lost in overtime to an Aaron Rodgers lead Packer team. If those three games are won we're 10-6 not 7-9.

And a miraculous Dunlap pick six vs Colts and AD pass vs Ratbirds could of meant 5-11.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 10:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Good to know you and Mike Brown are in step with each other.

But, uh, no dude. Beating those two fringe teams in the Lions and the Ravens doesn't mean jack. It wasn't impressive - at all. They were two okay teams barely on the boarder line of making the playoffs. Those wins don't erase the skid-mark stains the Bears (33-7) and Vikings (34-7) left on the Bengals in the two games leading up to those final two wins. Those two losses were so much more embarrassing than the LLions and Ravens wins were uplifting.

You may chose to obsess over the negative, but you can't say that beating teams with winning records is "meaningless".  Especially since you have been known to use the argument in the past that the Bengals pad their record against poor teams and struggle to beat teams with winning records.

BTW we beat a playoff team in the Bills.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 11:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You may chose to obsess over the negative, but you can't say that beating teams with winning records is "meaningless".  Especially since you have been known to use the argument in the past that the Bengals pad their record against poor teams and struggle to beat teams with winning records.

BTW if the Bills beat us last year they make the playoffs.

Man, Andy took a beating that game, AJ was off his game, and Dunlap made a helluva play to save it.....but the Bills did make the playoffs.

EDIT:  they made it because we knocked the Ravens out for them. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 11:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: .but the Bills did make the playoffs.

Derp!

I must have forgotten because no one mentioned the Bills at all when we knocked off the Ravens to put them in the playoffs. Hammer
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 11:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Derp!

LOL....no worries, if I go solely off memory, I screw up a bunch as well.....as my edit says....they got in because we beat the Ravens.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 12:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Most of the teams in the league can make these kinds of excuses. Hell, didn’t Cleveland lose a bunch of close games last year? You are what your record says your are. Losing close games means nothing.

The Browns lost 4 games by 3 points and a game by 4 points and a game by 6 points last year.  Hell, the 2010 Bengals lost 6 games by less than a TD, so feh...excuses.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if by some magic the Bengals win every regular season game by large margins this season will any of the national pundits pick us to win at least one playoff game? 
Just imagine that everything clicks all season long then they once again melt down come playoff day . I think I'd just quit watching football for good after that .

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 11:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The Browns lost 4 games by 3 points and a game by 4 points and a game by 6 points last year.  Hell, the 2010 Bengals lost 6 games by less than a TD, so feh...excuses.

It doesn't matter if you win the game by 100 or lose by 100.. It still only counts as 1 game. 
Although losing by 100 nobody is going to want to play the next game .

Reply/Quote