Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN. Bengals on the Rise
Shocking, ESPN is saying we are on rise with our FA class and drafting a franchise QB in Burrow.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29001772/five-nfl-teams-trending-where-upgraded-most-offseason

Say we are one year away from playoffs
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Considering 7 of last years losses were by a touchdown or less, and they were absolutely riddled with injuries. Not to mention a lot of dead weight has (finally) been cut this offseason, and they made some of the best free agency acquisitions in team history.

I’d say a playoff appearance this coming season isn’t out of the realm of possibility. I’m not going to bank on it, but I won’t be shocked like I was in 2011.
Reply/Quote
On the rise from 2 wins? Gutsy call, ESPN! In all seriousness though, it's nice to see the Bengals trying to get better is paying off already.
Reply/Quote
That's the beauty of being at rock bottom... Nowhere to go, but up.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:00 AM)jason Wrote: That's the beauty of being at rock bottom... Nowhere to go, but up.

Nah you have to do something to get out of the hole or else you can be the Browns and go from 1-15 to 0-16.
Reply/Quote
Did ESPN get Freds opinion of Josh Bynes before they
Did They did the article ?
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 09:43 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Considering 7 of last years losses were by a touchdown or less, and they were absolutely riddled with injuries. Not to mention a lot of dead weight has (finally) been cut this offseason, and they made some of the best free agency acquisitions in team history.

I’d say a playoff appearance this coming season isn’t out of the realm of possibility. I’m not going to bank on it, but I won’t be shocked like I was in 2011.

I agree in 2011 ESPN had us ranked the 32nd best team (last).

I am just shocked when any National media gives us any props

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 09:37 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Shocking, ESPN is saying we are on rise with our FA class and drafting a franchise QB in Burrow.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29001772/five-nfl-teams-trending-where-upgraded-most-offseason

Say we are one year away from playoffs

Thats pretty optimistic. I was thinking more like 2-3 if we had a really great draft class this year. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 09:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: On the rise from 2 wins?  Gutsy call, ESPN! 
Was pretty much my post as soon as I read the title.
Reply/Quote
Lol at the Steelers being on that list. Their “big additions” are getting back a 38 year old injury prone QB, and adding an average TE.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 09:43 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Considering 7 of last years losses were by a touchdown or less, and they were absolutely riddled with injuries. Not to mention a lot of dead weight has (finally) been cut this offseason, and they made some of the best free agency acquisitions in team history.

Hmm, not so sure I can buy into the "but we were close" in so many of those losses.  Most of those games got cosmetically closer, late in the game, after the other team had taken their foot off the gas.

Had they held momentum throughout most of those games, and lost them late for one reason or another, that logic would hold more credence.  As it stands, I can see the Bengals being significantly better this year.  But I absolutely cannot buy into the close losses last year argument, as most NFL contests are relatively close games.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

WhoDey2 I'd agree with this. I'm also not convinced the Stoolers are as stacked as they make them out to be. Wishful thinking. Piggy isn't doing anything but getting older and creakier... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I think our free agency was a bit overrated not bad but not as good as everyone wants it to be. That said what makes me excited about the 2020 season is the Return of AJ Green, the debut of Jonah Williams, and of course Burrow. Those three Guys make our offense complete also our defense finished the season well last year and I expect that trend to continue this upcoming season.
I think we can win the division and surprise in the playoffs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:46 PM)J24 Wrote: I think our free agency  was a bit overrated not bad but not as good as everyone wants it to be. That said what makes me excited about the 2020 season is the Return of AJ Green, the debut of Jonah Williams, and of course Burrow. Those three Guys make our offense complete also our defense finished the season well last year and I expect that trend to continue this upcoming season.

The key is we had free agency!  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:46 PM)J24 Wrote: I think our free agency was a bit overrated not bad but not as good as everyone wants it to be. That said what makes me excited about the 2020 season is the Return of AJ Green, the debut of Jonah Williams, and of course Burrow. Those three Guys make our offense complete also our defense finished the season well last year and I expect that trend to continue this upcoming season.

Reader was rated the #2 IDL and #33 overall FA by PFF. That’s a HUGE pickup alone. And take into account a bunch of the top 10 were QB’s.

Trae Waynes was also top 50. Add in solid pickups like Bell and Alexander, and I don’t think our FA class was overrated at all.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:46 PM)J24 Wrote: I think our free agency  was a bit overrated not bad but not as good as everyone wants it to be. That said what makes me excited about the 2020 season is the Return of AJ Green, the debut of Jonah Williams, and of course Burrow. Those three Guys make our offense complete also our defense finished the season well last year and I expect that trend to continue this upcoming season.

Why do you say that?  The Bengals filled a lot of holes on the team, made smart pickups that support the direction they are taking the team.  I'm curious as to why you aren't happy with what the team did.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We need a solid draft after pick #1. If we have a solid draft, I can see us surprising a lot of people.

As I said a rookie QB (many say is garbage) helped a 4 win team go to 9 wins and the playoffs). So grabbing best QB in draft and a very good free agency may be the ticket for success sooner than later.

So those fans who said Dalton was garbage should now expect great things immediately because a lousy Andy Dalton did it throwing to a rookie WR. Sarcasm

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Reader was rated the #2 IDL and #33 overall FA by PFF.  That’s a HUGE pickup alone. And take into account a bunch of the top 10 were QB’s.

Trae Waynes was also top 50. Add in solid pickups like Bell and Alexander, and I don’t think our FA class was overrated at all.
I like the Reader signing but he is getting a ton of money for a nose tackle. 
Wayne's, Bell, and Alexander are good players replacing good players. I don't think we improved those positions and in all honesty those positions we're the problem to begin with.
(04-10-2020, 11:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why do you say that?  The Bengals filled a lot of holes on the team, made smart pickups that support the direction they are taking the team.  I'm curious as to why you aren't happy with what the team did.
Answer above also we didn't improve our two biggest weaknesses on the team RT and a 3 down off ball LB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It can still be considered a good FA even if we didn’t address every single issue. It was never getting fixed in one offseason.

Also the secondary guys are definitely an improvement. Better tacklers, less injury prone, playoff success, etc.

Reply/Quote
You know...someday we'll all wake up from this Bengal wet dream and realize they did nothing in free agency, traded the #1 pick for some worn out, slow LBer and Giggles is still the head coach still giggling. And somehow Mike Brown just got 30 years younger through some rich guy miracle procedure to take 30 years off their lives. Nervous
Could it possibly be true this Bengal wet dream is real? Nahhhhhh.. This kind of good news just doesn't happen to Bengals fans. Nope..I still expect to wake up and realize my pajama bottoms have been glued to me in my sleep..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote