Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN "Best team fits" has the Bengals taking Washington and Achane
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36079362/2023-nfl-draft-best-team-fits-top-wide-receivers-running-backs-tight-ends-bijan-robinson-jaxon-smith-njigba

Quote:Devon Achane to the Cincinnati Bengals
Height: 5-foot-9 | Weight: 188
College: Texas A&M

Where the Bengals can get him: Round 3 (No. 92 overall)

Why he fits: With Samaje Perine singing in Denver and Joe Mixon's future with the team a little cloudy at this point, Achane fits in the Bengals' run game due to his traits and play style. The speed pops here on tape. Achane ran a 4.32-second 40-yard dash at the combine, and he plays big despite his smaller frame. He's decisive and determined in downhill schemes, with the perimeter ability to bounce the ball to daylight. Achane averaged 5.6 yards per carry last season. And the receiving skills are there, too -- he brought down 36 catches and scored three receiving TDs in 2022.

I like the upside of Achane in Cincinnati, who can work in a backfield rotation to share touches and provide quarterback Joe Burrow with another playmaker.

Quote:Darnell Washington to the Cincinnati Bengals
Height: 6-foot-7 | Weight: 264
College: Georgia

Where the Bengals could get him: Round 1 (No. 28 overall)

Why he fits: Let's give quarterback Joe Burrow an upside target in Washington, a tight end with the physical traits to develop into a dominant run blocker and create mismatches in the pass game. He can use his size and power to seal the edge on outside zone run schemes or move defenders off the ball in gap schemes. And with his 4.64 speed and long frame, Washington has the potential to produce as a second-level option for Burrow while also creating conflict for linebackers and safeties in the red zone. He has post-up ability to dig out space in the end zone.

Adding Washington would fill a need for the Bengals after the departure of Hayden Hurst. The arrow is pointing up on the Georgia tight end, despite middling numbers last season while playing behind Brock Bowers.

This isn't a mock draft, but it is kind of because they are saying we should draft Washington at 28 and Achane at 92.

If we were to take a TE in the first round, Washington is definitely an intriguing one. We have Irv now, so day 1 impact isn't as high of a priority as it was earlier this off season. Day 1 impact is what made Mayer the favorite for me, but now that we have Irv, I could see us prioritizing Washington over Mayer.

Washington is just so absurdly athletic, large and powerful. His run blocking alone would be an incredible addition to this team, especially with Achane joining the team as well in this mock, who likes to bounce the ball outside for big chunk plays.

If we're going TE, I think Washington makes sense. The only thing I wonder about is if he is worth the #28 pick or if he's more like a mid 2nd rounder. Could we get away with drafting a top OT or DT at 28 and then trading up to ~50 and getting him? Or is that gambling too much?

As for Achane, I really like what he brings to the team in tandem with Mixon. Mixon is your short yardage grinder who can occasionally muscle through some tackles to get a big gain and Achane is your outside threat who can take one to the house. Thunder and Lightning.

How would you all feel about this combination of picks? Are they fits to what we want to do? Do you feel they're good value at their selection spots?
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 12:02 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: How would you all feel about this combination of picks? Are they fits to what we want to do? Do you feel they're good value at their selection spots?

Darnell Washington has some freakish size which should help him create mismatches and he runs pretty well at that size.  I tend to lean towards the Bengals getting a Tight end in round 2 since it is a deep class. Maybe Sam Laporta in round 2. 

Devon Achane has great speed 4.32 forty. It would be interesting to have him on the Bengals Roster. He would likely need a small workload at his size of 5 foot 8 and 1/2 inches tall and 188 pounds. Isiah Pacheco of the Chiefs measured in at  5 foot 10 and 3/8 and 216 pounds by contrast. They both have great speed.
I could see Achane's value as a #2 back with speed that gets up to 10 or so touches per game. (carries/catches)  

Reply/Quote
Interesting, as I took Washington and Achane at 28 and 92, respectively in my latest mock.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 12:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Interesting, as I took Washington and Achane at 28 and 92, respectively in my latest mock.

Do you, by chance, work for ESPN? Tongue
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 12:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Darnell Washington has some freakish size which should help him create mismatches and he runs pretty well at that size.  I tend to lean towards the Bengals getting a Tight end in round 2 since it is a deep class. Maybe Sam Laporta in round 2. 

Devon Achane has great speed 4.32 forty. It would be interesting to have him on the Bengals Roster. He would likely need a small workload at his size of 5 foot 8 and 1/2 inches tall and 188 pounds. Isiah Pacheco of the Chiefs measured in at  5 foot 10 and 3/8 and 216 pounds by contrast. They both have great speed.
I could see Achane's value as a #2 back with speed that gets up to 10 or so touches per game. (carries/catches)  

If we could get Laporta in the 2nd, that is my ideal scenario as well. He just looks like a player who will be in the league for a decade. Maybe never a true super star like Kelce, but will get you 800 yards and 6 touchdowns any given year.

Achane I don't know a whole lot about other than just he's a super fast, smaller RB. It makes sense as a pairing with Mixon but, in the back of my mind, I keep thinking we should be replacing Mixon since he is likely not on the team in 2024. It would be nice if we took a guy who could be a bell cow back in the future like Charbonnet or even Abanikanda. 188 lbs is scary to me.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If we could get Laporta in the 2nd, that is my ideal scenario as well. He just looks like a player who will be in the league for a decade. Maybe never a true super star like Kelce, but will get you 800 yards and 6 touchdowns any given year.

Achane I don't know a whole lot about other than just he's a super fast, smaller RB. It makes sense as a pairing with Mixon but, in the back of my mind, I keep thinking we should be replacing Mixon since he is likely not on the team in 2024. It would be nice if we took a guy who could be a bell cow back in the future like Charbonnet or even Abanikanda. 188 lbs is scary to me.

Man, that would load up the Offense if Carman is the answer at RT. I also haven't looked at Achane because of his size, but with that 
speed he could be that breakaway RB we haven't had in forever. I think if we take Washington in the 1st we will be looking at a CB, G
or RT like McClendon or Bergeron in the 2nd more than another TE like LaPorta.

Agree that 188 lbs is a bit scary small for a RB. That is why I haven't looked at Achane as much. I like Tyjae Spears or Tank Bigsby in the 
3rd or Chase Brown or Roschon Johnson in the 4th. All can pass block too.
Reply/Quote
I understand the appeal for a dynamic playmaker like Achane, but I just can't see the Bengals going for a RB that small.
They have shown the past few seasons that they want to have a bigger guy than Mixon who can churn out short yardage, catch passes, and block.
I don't see Mixon as being able to take on that role.

On the other hand, Washington fits the Bengals offense to a T, especially if they want to "eat more glass" at the LOS.
I don't personally see Washington being any worse in the pass game than the likes of Hurst, who was a late 1st rounder himself back in 2018 (25th overall).
But you're also getting a fantastic blocker, which IMO is an upgrade over Hurst in that area.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 02:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand the appeal for a dynamic playmaker like Achane, but I just can't see the Bengals going for a RB that small.
They have shown the past few seasons that they want to have a bigger guy than Mixon who can churn out short yardage, catch passes, and block.

On the other hand, Washington fits the Bengals offense to a T, especially if they want to "eat more glass" at the LOS.
I don't personally see Washington being any worse in the pass game than the likes of Hurst, who was a late 1st rounder himself back in 2018 (25th overall).
But you're also getting a fantastic blocker, which IMO is an upgrade over Hurst in that area.

Hurst was a much better blocker than I thought he would be here, but yeah, DW might be the best blocking TE to ever come out.

That is how dominant he is in this aspect of his game.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 02:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand the appeal for a dynamic playmaker like Achane, but I just can't see the Bengals going for a RB that small.

Its the receiving back part that everyone wants to fit to the Bengals. I agree that Achane is tinier than the Bengals like they have gone small at 5'9 200-205ish before but not 20 pounds under 200.

The Bengals really struggled with range and blocking on the outside in the run game. Washington would be a huge upgrade in that area as well as inline. He could also be a big part of the screen game that doesn't exsist outside of WR bubble/tunnel screens in Cincy. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote