Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN DOWN GRADES BENGALS DUE TO HEAD COACH
(07-11-2017, 01:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hmm .....and here I thought it was all Andy Dalton's fault. Ninja LMAO

Actually, it is...

If Dalton had sucked like seemingly everyone thought he would after the quitter quit, Marv would have likely been fired.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 02:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I downgrade this thread due to a caps lock title.  Ninja

But more seriously, the only thing that's surprising about Marvin being linked to holding the team back is that it took him entering his 15th season for them to realize what we around here have long since known.

I do find it funny that apparently ESPN thinks the Bengals are ranked 17th at QB, but tied for 6th in drafting when Dalton the last two years has 65.2% completion, just shy of a 3:1 TD:INT ratio, 7.9 YPA, and a 97.7 QB Rating... meanwhile the Bengals have drafted exactly 1 Pro Bowl player since they used the 35th overall pick in 2011 on Dalton.

- - - - -
Side Note: The "promising crop" includes Jake Fisher (who sucked), Dennard (who is in his 4th year now and got beat out by Shaw), and three guys who have never played a snap in the NFL. Not promising at all.

Double rep for making me spit coffee and making the excellent points about drafting and Dalton.  
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 08:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Actually, it is...

If Dalton had sucked like seemingly everyone thought he would after the quitter quit, Marv would have likely been fired.

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO Good point!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 01:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hmm .....and here I thought it was all Andy Dalton's fault. Ninja LMAO

Of course he's ranked 17th (Damn someone on this very board just biasedly ranked him at 17) in a roster that is tied for 5th, So anyone would be silly for anyone to look in his direction.

As to the OP: Seems they are knocking Marvin quite a bit for post season performance, while "ignoring" the regular season (Ok I'll stop). Overall ranking of 14 seems fair.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 10:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course he's ranked 17th (Damn someone on this very board just biasedly ranked him at 17) in a roster that is tied for 5th, So anyone would be silly for anyone to look in his direction.

As to the OP: Seems they are knocking Marvin quite a bit for post season performance, while "ignoring" the regular season (Ok I'll stop). Overall ranking of 14 seems fair.

Ol Marvy has had a few more losing seasons than just last year.... Wink

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 10:22 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I can actually picture Mike Brown being the kind of guy who doesn't have cable TV due to not wanting to "waste" money on it when he can get other channels for free....

It's kinda like scouting. He doesn't need more channels, like he doesn't need more scouts. He gets the same information.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 10:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course he's ranked 17th (Damn someone on this very board just biasedly ranked him at 17) in a roster that is tied for 5th, So anyone would be silly for anyone to look in his direction.

Meh. It's better than the 90s, that's for sure.

But nothing about a overall .533 winning %, .302% vs playoff teams, and .267% vs our chief rival screams he's a regular season hero either. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I think ESPN reporters and so called experts are a bunch of hacks who cater to big market teams (fans) and write to create havoc and thus ratings.

So, we will see in 2017 if they are hacks or are great when the season is over. We will see if AD is as mediocre as they rank him making them look smart or if they are morons.

I could care less about ESPN, in fact I quit watching them for anything other than live broadcast due to losing my respect a long time ago due to bogus predictions. They ranked us 32nd as AD and AJ came in year number one and we made the playoffs. I just don't see sharp tools in the ESPN shed.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 01:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think ESPN reporters and so called experts are a bunch of hacks who cater to big market teams (fans) and write to create havoc and thus ratings.

So, we will see in 2017 if they are hacks or are great when the season is over. We will see if AD is as mediocre as they rank him making them look smart or if they are morons.

I could care less about ESPN, in fact I quit watching them for anything other than live broadcast due to losing my respect a long time ago due to bogus predictions. They ranked us 32nd as AD and AJ came in year number one and we made the playoffs. I just don't see sharp tools in the ESPN shed.

To be fair, 2011 looked like a shit storm going into the season.  We were going to start a rookie QB with no OTAs, the team was coming off 4-12 and in shambles.  I predicted a last place finish myself.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 01:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: To be fair, 2011 looked like a shit storm going into the season.  We were going to start a rookie QB with no OTAs, the team was coming off 4-12 and in shambles.  I predicted a last place finish myself.

We had a strong defensive nucleus. I did not predict the playoffs, but picking us the worst team in the NFL as many from ESPN did proved to me these guys have no clue and do little research on all 32 teams, but sure do research on the big market teams.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 03:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We had a strong defensive nucleus. I did not predict the playoffs, but picking us the worst team in the NFL as many from ESPN did proved to me these guys have no clue and do little research on all 32 teams, but sure do research on the big market teams.

That is certainly true.  I'm usually on them for their narratives as well, but I honestly didn't see us scoring enough points to compete.....we had a rookie OC with no OTAs as well.  It sure looked bleak.

Reply/Quote
I've lost faith in Marvin, I have to concede but I'm not a player.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 04:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: That is certainly true.  I'm usually on them for their narratives as well, but I honestly didn't see us scoring enough points to compete.....we had a rookie OC with no OTAs as well.  It sure looked bleak.

A top 10 defense will win you many games. Again, 32nd best team (worst team in the league) was worst than bleak for a team not far  removed from the playoffs. Sound familiar? I see the same mistake being made by the experts evaluating the 2017 Bengals. I would love 60 minutes to pepper them with direct questions on our 2016 losses. My guess is they would falil the test miserably.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 08:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Actually, it is...

For how many years do Mike and Marvin have to hamstring Dalton's success before you start to think Carson had a reason for being sick to death of playing for a bunch of untouchable failures?  It's just something that we can have a thread where we defend Dalton for having to play for a crappy owner/GM and HC who are never held accountable for their failures, oh but Carson is still a big ol' quitter for wanting out of this mess.

To each his own.  

(07-12-2017, 04:52 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I've lost faith in Marvin, I have to concede but I'm not a player.

Exactly.  We as fans who have no actual stake in the value and success of the franchise have become apathetic when it's clear certain people don't have to fear losing their jobs.  I'm sure players who actually have their careers on the line are slightly more aware of the way the Bengals do things than we are.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 01:14 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Meh. It's better than the 90s, that's for sure.

But nothing about a overall .533 winning %, .302% vs playoff teams, and .267% vs our chief rival screams he's a regular season hero either. 

Marvin with Dalton: 56-35-1 (.613)
Marvin without Dalton: 62-68-1 (.477)

Unfortunately, it looks like we'll never see how prime Andy would look with a better coach. We've seen what Marv can do with multiple different QBs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 01:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think ESPN reporters and so called experts are a bunch of hacks who cater to big market teams (fans) and write to create havoc and thus ratings.

Of course they are.  They almost have to be.  A network has to cater to the large market teams, in order to keep the most viewers watching.  They problem with ESPN, is that they went on a political agenda, and have been bleeding viewers ever since.

Heck, I was even reading an article today that the NFL is losing advertising revenue, likely having to do with losing viewers with money, because of the "political protest" by "some players".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Heck, I was even reading an article today that the NFL is losing advertising revenue, likely having to do with losing viewers with money, because of the "political protest" by "some players".

Hmm, can't they just watch JJ Watt pretend he's a GI Joe and appreciate the NFL even more? Ninja Hell, now that the Steelers have his lil' brother on the team we could see even MORE of the empty political pandering people "want to see!"
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 06:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: For how many years do Mike and Marvin have to hamstring Dalton's success before you start to think Carson had a reason for being sick to death of playing for a bunch of untouchable failures?  It's just something that we can have a thread where we defend Dalton for having to play for a crappy owner/GM and HC who are never held accountable for their failures, oh but Carson is still a big ol' quitter for wanting out of this mess.

To each his own.  

This own has never blamed Dalton's lack of success in the postseason on Mike Brown.  Has Marv had some lame game plans?  Sure, but I don't even put it on him.  I have always said that their losses have been a function of many variables from poor play to injuries.

Carson is the only player in the modern NFL era that I can think of that got over tens of millions of dollars from a team, and walked out on them during a contract.  So, this is his stance against the poor owner and coach?  Quit?  "Here, son, sit on dad's lap and let me tell you about the time I quit".  I'm sure that would make any kid proud of their dad.
Palmer had a better line and better weapons than Dalton.  He did not have as good a defense.  Should Dalton pout and quit because the Bengals have drafted more talent on the defensive side of the ball instead of drafting great offensive linemen and weapons for him?  Good thing Dalton is more of a team guy that makes no excuses. 

Dalton is more of the Kurt Warner school.  Kurt Warner took two of the worst franchises in NFL history to Super Bowls and won one of them.  He didn't complain about their poor GMs or coaches, he simply worked his ass off and made the team better.  That is a man.  Not a quitter.  
Reply/Quote
Marvin is stale. All of his teams (no matter the changes in personnel) look alike (undisciplined and can't win big games, can't beat the Steelers, schooled by rookie qb's, bad challenges in big games, poor use of timeouts, no pressure on qb's in big games, star players disappear in big games). Expecting anything different in this 5th rebuild is insane. This "new" team won't reach it's heights under Marvin. There's always hope, if you ignore history and the writing on the walls. But let's be realistic for a second, we've read this script before. This is like Saw 15.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 07:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This own has never blamed Dalton's lack of success in the postseason on Mike Brown.  Has Marv had some lame game plans?  Sure, but I don't even put it on him.  I have always said that their losses have been a function of many variables from poor play to injuries.

Carson is the only player in the modern NFL era that I can think of that got over tens of millions of dollars from a team, and walked out on them during a contract.  So, this is his stance against the poor owner and coach?  Quit?  "Here, son, sit on dad's lap and let me tell you about the time I quit".  I'm sure that would make any kid proud of their dad.
Palmer had a better line and better weapons than Dalton.  He did not have as good a defense.  Should Dalton pout and quit because the Bengals have drafted more talent on the defensive side of the ball instead of drafting great offensive linemen and weapons for him?  Good thing Dalton is more of a team guy that makes no excuses. 

Dalton is more of the Kurt Warner school.  Kurt Warner took two of the worst franchises in NFL history to Super Bowls and won one of them.  He didn't complain about their poor GMs or coaches, he simply worked his ass off and made the team better.  That is a man.  Not a quitter.  

I get your sentiment.....but it wasn't so much quitting as it was "I would rather retire than play another down for this team".  Read what Megatron had to say about his early retirement in Detroit.  He pretty much said the same thing, and retired.  From what I gather, it's also what led Barry Sanders to call it quits early.  

Reply/Quote