Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ESPN Doesn't Have Our Line As Our Biggest Weakness!
I know that ESPN's not the end-all be-all, but they listed the biggest weaknesses for 14 playoff contenders, and ours is NOT our offensive line, but rather our secondary:

Quote:Like the Eagles, Cincinnati is trying to adjust to its new economic reality on the fly. In the process, it has had to let veterans leave. Eli Apple, Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell and Tre Flowers all left in free agency this offseason. That's more than 3,100 combined defensive snaps from last season scattering around the NFL.

There are players here to try to replace those lost veterans. Nick Scott, who emerged during Los Angeles' run to the Super Bowl in 2021, signed a low-cost deal to take over one starting safety spot. Dax Hill, a first-round pick in 2022 who played 131 snaps as a rookie, will be the other starter. Mike Hilton returns in the slot, and Taylor-Britt got better as his rookie season went along. Rookie second-rounder DJ Turner could see time in his debut season and profiles as the likely long-term replacement for Hilton.

The biggest difference-maker might not be any of those guys. Chidobe Awuzie was playing at an All-Pro level last season before tearing the ACL in his right knee in November. The former Cowboys corner had been a revelation since joining the Bengals in free agency, raising his game in 2021 and then again even higher in 2022. If the Awuzie who comes back is the guy who was allowing a 53.4 passer rating in coverage before his injury, the Bengals should be fine. If he's battling to stay on the field as he recovers from the torn ligament in his knee, there will be real questions about whether this secondary can hold up to the passing attacks it'll face in the playoffs.

First of all, our secondary might not be that proven of a unit, especially not together, but that makes it sound like it's more of a question mark rather than a weakness, especially if we can get a pass rush with Hubbard, Hendrickson, Ossai, and Murphy on the ends, and then even Hill and Reader from defensive tackle.

If our offensive line isn't our biggest weakness, I think we can win every game because Burrow's has proven he can lead us deep in the playoffs with basically no offensive line.

I didn't use my usual exclamation marks, but I'm pumped up about this and it's giving me even more hope going into this season!
Reply/Quote
I’m not an insider so I wasn’t able to read the whole article, but they wrote they were going to identify a potential problem. Not necessarily the biggest problem.

They have to continually create content to generate revenue.
Reply/Quote
CB depth and no backup QB on the current roster are the biggest weakness on the team.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think Eli signed for less than two with Miami.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree with them. On paper our starting 5 OL should be the best since 2015. If La'el comes back strong he can theoretically be a backup at both guard spots and both tackle spots seeing as he played LG for a few seasons in Dallas. Jackson Carman while disappointing in pass pro is an excellent run blocker and should be a contributor as the 6th OL we like to run.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
If they are pointing toward the secondary as the team's biggest weakness, I'd say that we have a pretty good team from top to bottom. I can understand why they would finger the secondary, as the team let a lot of experienced talent walk out the door. However, as I look at the players replacing that experience, it's not hard to get excited in anticipation of watching them develop into the next top shelf position group.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If Williams really is going to be average or even above average at RT, this is definitely the best OL in the Taylor era.
Now, the depth is still not good IMO.
Carman is showing LT might be his only decent spot.
Scharping may only be ok at LG.
Smith still an unknown, but showed some promise last preseason game.
Adeniji is...Adeniji.
Ford didn't look good.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with any of the backups coming in and playing C, RG, or RT right now if there were an injury to one of the planned starters.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
woah sick all hail espn

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 10:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If Williams really is going to be average or even above average at RT, this is definitely the best OL in the Taylor era.
Now, the depth is still not good IMO.
Carman is showing LT might be his only decent spot.
Scharping may only be ok at LG.
Smith still an unknown, but showed some promise last preseason game.
Adeniji is...Adeniji.
Ford didn't look good.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with any of the backups coming in and playing C, RG, or RT right now if there were an injury to one of the planned starters.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with them playing for any amount of time due to a serious injury, but I'm ok with one of these guys filling in for a series or two, especially because having this good of a line improves the play of the rest of the linemen, both by pushing them to practice and play harder and to learn from them (I know I've posted that before).

Like I said, I'm heading down training camp in a bit and I'm going to get a good look at them.

I'm trying to temper my expectations, but I'm definitely a lot more excited and I'm going to put a few more bets on us while I'm downtown.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2023, 10:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know that ESPN's not the end-all be-all, but they listed the biggest weaknesses for 14 playoff contenders, and ours is NOT our offensive line, but rather our secondary:

First of all, our secondary might not be that proven of a unit, especially not together, but that makes it sound like it's more of a question mark rather than a weakness, especially if we can get a pass rush with Hubbard, Hendrickson, Ossai, and Murphy on the ends, and then even Hill and Reader from defensive tackle.

If our offensive line isn't our biggest weakness, I think we can win every game because Burrow's has proven he can lead us deep in the playoffs with basically no offensive line.

I didn't use my usual exclamation marks, but I'm pumped up about this and it's giving me even more hope going into this season!

Depth on the OL certainly looked like our biggest weakness the last PS game along with the backup QB's.

I like our Secondary with its speed, youth and talent. I could see how an outsider espn person would look at losing all those guys and it 
maybe becoming a weakness. If you know the team though, until the OL shows it is a strength it is the question.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 01:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Depth on the OL certainly looked like our biggest weakness the last PS game along with the backup QB's.

I like our Secondary with its speed, youth and talent. I could see how an outsider espn person would look at losing all those guys and it 
maybe becoming a weakness. If you know the team though, until the OL shows it is a strength it is the question.

I agree that our secondary seems like a question mark but, before I saw that article, I was actually optimistic and excited to see our secondary. 

It might just be because I played DB and I love the potential I'm seeing and just overall like DBs more, but our line is the only thing that kept us from winning a ship the past two years and if they could have only been shitty instead of God-awful, I think we win both years.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 01:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree that our secondary seems like a question mark but, before I saw that article, I was actually optimistic and excited to see our secondary. 

It might just be because I played DB and I love the potential I'm seeing and just overall like DBs more, but our line is the only thing that kept us from winning a ship the past two years and if they could have only been shitty instead of God-awful, I think we win both years.

I am optimistic about the secondary. This espn stuff doesn't change anything for me. I think they are wrong and the weakness is 
still the OL until we see otherwise. The starters might be much better this year, but the depth is still a concern.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 04:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am optimistic about the secondary. This espn stuff doesn't change anything for me. I think they are wrong and the weakness is 
still the OL until we see otherwise. The starters might be much better this year, but the depth is still a concern.

Like I said, they did team drills on the other field but the DBs were right in front of us. I know anyone, especially pros, can look good in practice, but I was liking how they looked.

While I was rolling in to practice in the crippled entrance (they directed us to where the players come on the field), I think Taylor-Britt ran over and fist bumped me before I even saw him!

(I think it was him but I was so shocked that I didn’t get a good look at his face or number).
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2023, 10:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know that ESPN's not the end-all be-all, but they listed the biggest weaknesses for 14 playoff contenders, and ours is NOT our offensive line, but rather our secondary:

No doubt Burrow and his leadership and strong 4th quarters has helped in the playoffs but the offense has not performed as well in playoffs as the defense overall  Last year Burrow was on fire for Buffalo, and put the Bills to rest in 1st half but the defense played well and kept hi power offense contained plus  against KC and Ravens numbers were much below Joe's regular season.  He averaged 240 yards passing with 2 TDs and 2 INTs in the KC and Ravens game

We know in 2021, the defense was  as much the key in making it to the SB as our offense.  I think we really need to get a better running game going in playoffs that will help Burrow even more  
Reply/Quote
Interesting that ESPN (historically biased against small market teams like the Bengals) would not finger the OL as the biggest weakness, yet PFF or whoever did the "grading" had the Bengals pass protectors as 2nd worst in the league..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Just because it isn't our biggest weakness, doesn't mean it's improved that much.  The reality is that the secondary lost 2 starters which dropped them below the line in ESPN's mind.

I don't think the loss the safeties is as big as some people think.  I'd rather lose 2 safeties than 2 starting CBs.
Reply/Quote
I’m not the least concerned about the Cincinnati secondary. Here’s why: Lou Anarumo.
Reply/Quote