Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Poll - Rank the top 5 Bengals QBs?
So ESPN, in its infinite wisdom and the relative boredom of the off-season, is asking the fans to rank the best QBs in each NFL franchise's history.

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/19683658/the-franchise-qbs-rank-top-signal-callers-cincinnati-bengals-history

Current tally is: Esiason, Anderson, Dalton, Palmer and Blake.

I'd flip Kenny and Boomer. And until last year, I'd probably put CP3 ahead of Dalton. But now, I think Andy deserves the 3-spot. What say you?
Reply/Quote
Cook, Anderson, Dalton, Palmer, Esiason
Reply/Quote
5. Blake (solid QB on some horrific Bengal teams)
4. Palmer (had the potential to be one of the best QB's to ever play the game. If only that knee injury never happened... I think he'd be much higher on this list and maybe even still here).
3 Dalton (good QB with a great supporting cast, would likely do much better without Marvin Lewis)
2. Anderson (great QB that is highly underrated. If Terry Bradshaw and Dan Marino can be hall of famers, there's no good reason why Anderson shouldn't be)
1. Boomer (I'm biased but my earliest memories as a Bengal fan feature Boomer. He is the main reason I became a Bengal fan)
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 04:05 PM)shanebo Wrote: So ESPN, in its infinite wisdom and the relative boredom of the off-season, is asking the fans to rank the best QBs in each NFL franchise's history.  

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/19683658/the-franchise-qbs-rank-top-signal-callers-cincinnati-bengals-history

Current tally is:  Esiason, Anderson, Dalton, Palmer and Blake.

I'd flip Kenny and Boomer.  And until last year, I'd probably put CP3 ahead of Dalton.  But now, I think Andy deserves the 3-spot.  What say you?

I'd be in total agreement with you.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Where is akili smith and the throwin Samoan? Blasphemy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
There was a time folks wanted to put CP9 over Boomer. Fortunately that ship has sailed. I see it as:

Anderson
Boomer
Andy
CP9
Blake

Of course we all know who the most talented was.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 04:24 PM)Stingray1931 Wrote: Cook, Anderson, Dalton, Palmer, Esiason

Many know how talented Cook was and what he could have been; however, there is no way that we can disrespect what the others did/are doing for what could been.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I've completely stopped caring about the HOF. JUST ONE Bengal EVER in the HOF? What a sham that is.  It's a complete joke and as far as I'm concerned it has absolutely NOTHING to do with who was or wasn't a great player. It's more a story of who was in the right clique and who wasn't. It's like the complete jerk kid in high school who got to play QB ONLY because his dad had the biggest house in town despite the fact that the kid couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions stamped on the heel of the boot.
I ran track with that team. Coaches son got to run anchor in the relays despite the fact he was slow and couldn't hold onto the baton, but hey, DADDY was the coach so dweeb boy was THE STAR.. That's the NFL HOF..  

Woops.. I got out of line.. Excuse my rant that had absolutely nothing to do with who was the best QBS.. 

Anderson, Boomer, Toss up between CP and Andy at this point,  I'd say Cook, but he wasn't around long enough.. Memory is fading quick now.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 12:35 AM)grampahol Wrote: I've completely stopped caring about the HOF. JUST ONE Bengal EVER in the HOF? What a sham that is.  It's a complete joke and as far as I'm concerned it has absolutely NOTHING to do with who was or wasn't a great player. It's more a story of who was in the right clique and who wasn't. It's like the complete jerk kid in high school who got to play QB ONLY because his dad had the biggest house in town despite the fact that the kid couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions stamped on the heel of the boot.
I ran track with that team. Coaches son got to run anchor in the relays despite the fact he was slow and couldn't hold onto the baton, but hey, DADDY was the coach so dweeb boy was THE STAR.. That's the NFL HOF..  

Woops.. I got out of line.. Excuse my rant that had absolutely nothing to do with who was the best QBS.. 

Anderson, Boomer, Toss up between CP and Andy at this point,  I'd say Cook, but he wasn't around long enough.. Memory is fading quick now.. 

I agree, I think they are letting too many above average but not GREAT players in.
Reply/Quote
1. Anderson- Most Underrated QB
1.b Cook- just on what he did in the short time and how he even won MVP while injured. And of course what he could have been.
2. Boomer- He had the best PA I've ever seen, even to this day. I liked the way he wouldn't hesitate to tell someone what he thought. He had fire.
4. Palmer- I want to pick Andy here but I just can't do it. Let's not down play how awesome Palmer was. On second thought, he quit on his team so I'm going to put Andy here after all.
3. Dalton- Just stay healthy and perform in the big games for crying out loud.
5. Blake- For a short QB he wasn't bad. He had the prettiest deep rainbow pass.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 01:00 AM)TKUHL Wrote: 1. Anderson- Most Underrated QB
1.b Cook- just on what he did in the short time and how he even won MVP while injured. And of course what he could have been.
2. Boomer- He had the best PA I've ever seen, even to this day. I liked the way he wouldn't hesitate to tell someone what he thought. He had fire.
4. Palmer- I want to pick Andy here but I just can't do it. Let's not down play how awesome Palmer was. On second thought, he quit on his team so I'm going to put Andy here after all.

What's a "big game"? Primetime games?

While Carson Palmer was at the helm, he completed 224 passes out of 404 attempts (55.5%) for 2,385 yards, 12 touchdowns, and eight interceptions. Carson Palmer had a quarterback rating of 74.5 in primetime (excluding the Steelers and Jets playoff games); nothing extraordinary by any means.

Also, while here, Palmer himself did not win many "big games". Not sure why people focus on Dalton but exclude Palmer.

Palmer has a QB rating of 66.9 in the playoffs. He's thrown 7 INts in 4 games (3 since you can't really count the Steelers game).

Dalton has a QB rating of 57.8 in the playoffs. He's thrown 6 INTs in 4 full games.

He did well in the regular season with stats and has talent. But people overlook what Dalton has done because it comes down to post season success.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Donald Hollas
Erik Wilhelm
Turk Schonert
Scott Mitchell
Paul Justin

That is what I think of the HOF....
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 05:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Many know how talented Cook was and what he could have been; however, there is no way that we can disrespect what the others did/are doing for what could been.

This....if we were going on pure talent, Cook has to be near the front of the list, if not the front.  He just didn't play long enough to be a top 5 QB all time for the franchise.  Sad, but true.

Reply/Quote
For all the love AJ McCarron gets around here, I'm surprised he isn't on a list somewhere.     Sarcasm

My top 5 has already been listed I believe.  maybe a couple times.

1. Anderson
2. Boomer
3. Andy
4. Palmer
5. Blake
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 08:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: This....if we were going on pure talent, Cook has to be near the front of the list, if not the front.  He just didn't play long enough to be a top 5 QB all time for the franchise.  Sad, but true.

Agree.  I wasn't around to see Greg Cook, but I've heard all the stories about his talent, how great he could have been, how things would have been different with modern medicine, etc.  I'm not discounting him or his talent at all, may he RIP.  Also, I'm well aware that he played in a different era, and only played three pro games in which he was completely healthy.

However, one 4-9-1 season with 15 TDs, 11 INTs, and 1,895 yds -- despite an 87.6 QBR, 9.411 YPA, 17.5 YPC, and AFL Rookie of the Year Honors, all with a torn rotator cuff -- simply doesn't trump Blake's substantial contribution and production in my mind.  

If the list were based on talent alone, Cook and Palmer would be at the top, no question (likely followed by Boomer, Anderson, Dalton, and Blake).  But on this list -- at least in my mind -- he's fighting with Jon Kitna for spot No. 6.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 10:37 AM)shanebo Wrote: Agree.  I wasn't around to see Greg Cook, but I've heard all the stories about his talent, how great he could have been, how things would have been different with modern medicine, etc.  I'm not discounting him or his talent at all, may he RIP.  Also, I'm well aware that he played in a different era, and only played three pro games in which he was completely healthy.

However, one 4-9-1 season with 15 TDs, 11 INTs, and 1,895 yds -- despite an 87.6 QBR, 9.411 YPA, 17.5 YPC, and AFL Rookie of the Year Honors, all with a torn rotator cuff -- simply doesn't trump Blake's substantial contribution and production in my mind.  

If the list were based on talent alone, Cook and Palmer would be at the top, no question (likely followed by Boomer, Anderson, Dalton, and Blake).  But on this list -- at least in my mind -- he's fighting with Jon Kitna for spot No. 6.

Yep....and I might have to put Kitna over him....as sad as that is.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 01:00 AM)TKUHL Wrote: 1. Anderson- Most Underrated QB

Funny that you mention Jeff's stature. I met him very briefly several years ago in NYC. It was for all of 5 seconds, a quick hello outside of a radio station. Anyway, when he shook my hand I realized 1) DAMN he's got some big hands and 2) I'm at least an inch taller than him.

I'm a solid six feet even in the right pair of shoes. I don't remember what shoes I was wearing that day, or how much of a boost they gave me but I was certainly above him. I was very surprised. Granted, I didn't know his listed height but I always assumed he was over 6 feet. He wasn't close. 

I later looked up his height out of curiosity and he's listed at 6'1.... No way. I wonder how accurate these height measurements for NFL players are. Like is Dalton really 6'2? Is Russell Wilson really 5'11 when he looks about 5'9 at best on tv? Drew Brees? Is it common for NFL measurements to overestimate?
Reply/Quote
1. Cook
2. Anderson
3.Boomer
4. Blake
5. Kitna
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 02:13 PM)firstand10 Wrote: 1. Cook
2. Anderson
3.Boomer
4. Blake
5. Kitna

Kitna, lol. Great guy, good game manager but not a top 5 qb... not even close. Over dalton and palmer, that is hilarious. No offense.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 02:47 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Kitna, lol.  Great guy, good game manager but not a top 5 qb... not even close.  Over dalton and palmer, that is hilarious.  No offense.

....and Cook never played an entire season without injury. I smell a troll. LMAO

Reply/Quote