Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ESPN Predicts Ventell Bryant to make the 53
(08-28-2019, 08:56 PM)NKURyan Wrote: You think Tate's out? I'd almost consider him a lock at this point.

I think Malone is better so yes I think he is out.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 10:02 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I think Malone is better so yes I think he is out.

Malone has better speed and gets more separation but Tate has the advantage when it comes to size and making contested catches. It really comes down to what role is more valuable to the team. 

Personally I think Tate as a redzone weapon is really hard to pass up on.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 06:58 PM)grampahol Wrote: Probably some guy in an office at ESPN who watched A preseason game, saw him make a catch and makes a decision based on that alone. He might make the PS or even the 53 if someone goes down.. 

Agree. Katherine Terrell did a great job covering the Bengals for ESPN and recently left to cover her hometown Saints. Not sure who her replacement is but I doubt ESPN cares that much about the Bengals to make an accurate 53 man projection, hence the Ventell Bryant pick. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 10:47 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Agree. Katherine Terrell did a great job covering the Bengals for ESPN and recently left to cover her hometown Saints. Not sure who her replacement is but I doubt ESPN cares that much about the Bengals to make an accurate 53 man projection, hence the Ventell Bryant pick. 

The 53 was chosen by ESPN's Bengals reporter Ben Baby.  He chose Bryant based on his recent game performance and praise by WR Coach Bob Bicknell.  He also, when asked, admitted it was a stretch

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 10:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Malone has better speed and gets more separation but Tate has the advantage when it comes to size and making contested catches. It really comes down to what role is more valuable to the team. 

Malone also has good size at 6'3".  You can use him how you would use Tate in the red zone.  You can't use Tate like you would Malone between the 20's.  Malone has a huge advantage in role versatility.  If either guy had to take significant snaps as the #3 or even #2, the offense is hurting with Tate because his lack of speed will bring the defense up.

The other issue is Tate is injured and didn't practice all week.  If he can't go against the Colts, you have to ask how many beat up WR's you're going to carry on the 53.  AJ is out and Ross just recently returned.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 12:12 AM)Whatever Wrote: Malone also has good size at 6'3".  You can use him how you would use Tate in the red zone.  You can't use Tate like you would Malone between the 20's.  Malone has a huge advantage in role versatility.  If either guy had to take significant snaps as the #3 or even #2, the offense is hurting with Tate because his lack of speed will bring the defense up.

The other issue is Tate is injured and didn't practice all week.  If he can't go against the Colts, you have to ask how many beat up WR's you're going to carry on the 53.  AJ is out and Ross just recently returned.  

Better idea. 

Keep Malone

Keep Tate

Dump Ross

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I’d take Tate over Malone, and not think twice about it. Malone has had plenty of chances to run away with it over the past few years, and he’s done next to nothing to earn a spot. If he or Core get cut they have only themselves to blame. Both had ample opportunities.

Tate just seems like a playmaker to me. Don’t care about his speed.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 12:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d take Tate over Malone, and not think twice about it. Malone has had plenty of chances to run away with it over the past few years, and he’s done next to nothing to earn a spot. If he or Core get cut they have only themselves to blame. Both had ample opportunities.

Tate just seems like a playmaker to me. Don’t care about his speed.

Yep. People can look at just speed and make any claim they want. Malone has done nothing in all his opportunities to stand out. Tate has. Put them both on the field--i don't care where it is--and Tate makes more plays. 

I def like Malone and would take him over Core, as productive as he's been this PS, but those two are a coin flip for 1 roster spot, with everyone healthy. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 10:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Malone has better speed and gets more separation but Tate has the advantage when it comes to size and making contested catches. It really comes down to what role is more valuable to the team. 

To me Tate isn't a pure WR he is a flex TE like Eifert. If it were me I would keep 8 WR and go 3 TE but I doubt they do that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Got to say: I was impressed with the way Bryant caught the ball . 

The football is like a one-man cold to Ventrell Bryant.

Ventrell Bryant's the only one catching it and only one coming down with it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If Core doesn't get cut I'm gonna be upset.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 11:43 PM)pally Wrote: The 53 was chosen by ESPN's Bengals reporter Ben Baby.  He chose Bryant based on his recent game performance and praise by WR Coach Bob Bicknell.  He also, when asked, admitted it was a stretch

Didn’t know that thanks for the info. I don’t really care for any of the new media guys yet. I liked Terrell for epsn and Jim Owczarski with the enquirer. Also liked Paul Dehner Jr. and his podcasts I just don’t fell like paying for the Athletic.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 07:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doubt Bryant makes it over Malone, highly doubt it.

Morgan is better than Bryant too, but as Harley noted he don't drop shit lol

Think this just shows how good our WR coach really is.

Bicknell has done well with his guys and Taylor also is great with young Wideouts.

I don't think I saw Morgan "drop shit" in the preseason, nor did Core.  Malone, however....Heck, even Boyd had a huge drive-killing drop.  One thing is for sure:  If Malone doesn't make it, he will likely get picked up and our depth looks really solid with Morgan and Bryant on the PS.  

That is assuming it is Tate and Core that make the final two spots.  I think ST wins out in this close race, and it appears Core and Tate did a lot of extra work in the offseason.   
Reply/Quote
I bet Morgan and Bryant drop shit sometime today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 01:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Got to say: I was impressed with the way Bryant caught the ball . 

The football is like a one-man cold to Ventrell Bryant.

Ventrell Bryant's the only one catching it and only one coming down with it.

I agree! I wouldn't say him making the roster is impossible. The guy impressed me in the game against the Redskins. They way he came back for the ball, when Finley was running to his left. Sure that was just 1 play, but I haven't seen that from Malone or Core. 
Reply/Quote
We are suddenly deep at wideout (if only they could cut or trade Ross, but I know they won't with the cap hit). Bryant showed strong hands and reminded me of Hopkins out there when he was making plays. Hate to see him get cut, but there just isn't much room

Hopefully they IR Morgan and redshirt him for next year. There's hardly room for Bryant let along Morgan, who showed well while healthy.

Great job to Tobin (whom I'm not really a fan of) for finding talented Undrafted Wideouts.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The problem with Tate is he offers nothing so Special Teams and don't you have to if you are the 5th, 6th, 7th receiver?

They love his blocking in the run game so that may be his saving grace.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Zac will stun everyone when he keeps more RB's than WRs. Zac is a McVay guy and loves RBs that can catch and run.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 10:31 AM)jj22 Wrote: We are suddenly deep at wideout (if only they could cut or trade Ross, but I know they won't with the cap hit). Bryant showed strong hands and reminded me of Hopkins out there when he was making plays. Hate to see him get cut, but there just isn't much room

Hopefully they IR Morgan and redshirt him for next year. There's hardly room for Bryant let along Morgan, who showed well while healthy.

Great job to Tobin (whom I'm not really a fan of) for finding talented Undrafted Wideouts.

Are we?

It seems every preseason we only watch our team and think our team is sooo deep at WR.

I remember last year discussing how deep we were and how tough the cuts. Then, as the year went by, Green was hurt, Boyd was hurt and Ross was hurt. We did not have a receiver step up, in fact they looked horrible. I know they had a back up throwing to them, but our lack of depth showed when our top 3 went down.

I think like every year, we have a bunch of WR's who are similar or have certain strengths, but also have weaknesses (like poor separation ability or average blockers) so we confuse it with can't miss guys may get cut.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 10:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: The problem with Tate is he offers nothing so Special Teams and don't you have to if you are the 5th, 6th, 7th receiver?

They love his blocking in the run game so that may be his saving grace.

Tate has been noted as improving his STs game tremendously this year and that he was the best WR on KOR and PR.

He's not a gunner though.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote