Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ESPN Saying Bengals to tag Green
If Sanu brings a 2nd AJ Green would be worth a 1st
Reply/Quote
Tag is the only way to go. We paid him last season and he didn’t even have a catch. He needs to let the organization and the team know he’s healthy. Otherwise, he’s just an old beater who sucks you dry on finances and does nothing more than start. Crap, he doesn’t even start? So much for that defense. He’s a good guy tho, so hope he brings it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This move has been obvious for a long time. It's fair for both parties, and buys time. AJ is going to have a huge year. Helps Boyd, Ross, and especially Burrow, a ton.
Reply/Quote
There would obviously be some risks involved in signing him,as he’s aging and has been injury prone the last couple seasons.I would still like to see them sign him though.Burrow needs him more than he needs Burrow.I’m sure Burrow would appreciate an elite,experienced,wide receiver.He’ll need all the help he can get.
Reply/Quote
I really have to wonder what folks are talking about when they mention long term deal. The guy just isn't going back in time. All the money in the world won't make him one minute younger. I'd be OK with a two year deal for reasonable money, but certainly not mega millions for a 32 year old WR who has quite an injury history. We don't even know he'll play this upcoming season and if he doesn't because of yet another injury a long term deal means eating all that dough. It's not as if the guy is already penniless. He's not. He could retire from the NFL today and never have to work another day in his life. That kind of money could go towards several young rookies over quite a stretch if they wanted to go that route.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 12:22 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: This move has been obvious for a long time. It's fair for both parties, and buys time. AJ is going to have a huge year. Helps Boyd, Ross, and especially Burrow, a ton.

He'll either have a great season or he won't, but nothing is guaranteed in writing. If it is written I wouldn't believe it. I don't know what kind of season he'll have, but I'm certainly not going to say it's written in stone because it isn't.

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:41 AM)grampahol Wrote: He'll either have a great season or he won't, but nothing is guaranteed in writing. If it is written I wouldn't believe it. I don't know what kind of season he'll have, but I'm certainly not going to say it's written in stone because it isn't.

Obviously, this is true. None of us can see the future. 
 Ts, if he stays healthy, he should have impressive numbers. Especially, with touchdown Jesus arriving. He'll most likely skip a lit of the early workouts, but he should be ready, and healthy, for the season opener.
Reply/Quote
Can he "sit out" the year or will he still be paid? I don't see him "risking" his health as he puts it. I'm not saying AJ is selfish but he is, lol. He's still a "good guy" in this "business", I guess. I can imagine if he first wants to see how the offense performs without him (like last year, junk for the most part)...

Brady has "earned" a long term deal although I don't see Kraft working like that, with every other player they cut them sooner rather than later, there is no business value. I don't think AJ has earned a long term deal, especially with how few games he's played. He's either lying about his injury (protecting himself and not the business) or an injury prone old WR. It was definitely a combination of both last year, I would wager he was 100% healthy but that team was going nowhere, why "risk" it? Now some of you guys see the truth in him.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I love AJ and I'm glad that he'll be a Bengal this year for sure (assuming that this tag story is real, which I also saw).

What I don't get is why AJ would be upset about the tag.  I can understand younger players because they want long-term security, but Green is going to be 32 by the time the season starts and has been injured the past two years, so does he really think any other team is going to offer him 18.5 million a year?  

I get it that he might want long-term security, but after he has been injured the past two seasons, I'd say getting 18.5 with a new young superstar qb throwing him the ball would be the best business move for him, especially with the probability of working out a long-term deal, because no other franchise will throw that kind of money at him.

A long-term deal should have clauses about staying healthy and bonuses based on performance, imco.

He might also be lying about his injuries to protect himself, same reason he said he wouldn't participate in OTAs/etc. if he was tagged. To protect himself.

Your last statement applies to Geno Atkins too, taking fewer snaps, why would he be paid more? His less snaps should result in a better performance than last year's more snaps, not the same. Even so, if the same, salary cut.
Reply/Quote
This ties in with the Bengals wanting to be more active in free agency this year.

A splurge in free agency this season would cancel out the compensatory pick they'd get for AJ Green. Franchising him would mean they could spend in 2020 and still collect a compensatory pick for him if next year they can't work out a long term deal (although I think it would then only be a 5th round).
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 07:18 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote:  Now some of you guys see the truth in him.

What has changed to show anyone "the truth"?

If Green had shown everyone he was healthy at the end of the season he would be getting a long term deal instead of the tag.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I love AJ and I'm glad that he'll be a Bengal this year for sure (assuming that this tag story is real, which I also saw).

What I don't get is why AJ would be upset about the tag.  I can understand younger players because they want long-term security, but Green is going to be 32 by the time the season starts and has been injured the past two years, so does he really think any other team is going to offer him 18.5 million a year?  

I get it that he might want long-term security, but after he has been injured the past two seasons, I'd say getting 18.5 with a new young superstar qb throwing him the ball would be the best business move for him, especially with the probability of working out a long-term deal, because no other franchise will throw that kind of money at him.

A long-term deal should have clauses about staying healthy and bonuses based on performance, imco.

Because he knows he can't get through a season without being injured and hoping someone is silly enough to think he'll magically become Mr. Durability for the next 3-5 years and give him a lot of money to sit on the sidelines like hes been doing.
Reply/Quote
We should all get so lucky as to get "tagged", play one snap and get injured. 18 million bucks doesn't exactly grow on trees, but stupid people do.. and it's harvest season 365 days a year, 24 hours a day with no labor shortage to pick those stupid people from trees... Mellow

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:30 PM)grampahol Wrote: We should all get so lucky as to get "tagged", play one snap and get injured. 18 million bucks doesn't exactly grow on trees, but stupid people do.. and it's harvest season 365 days a year, 24 hours a day  with no labor shortage to pick those stupid people from trees... Mellow

People who could never make an NFL roster are the ones who dream about sitting the bench.  Include me in that.
Reply/Quote
It's tough. I hate the prospect of spending $18 million in cap on a guy who has missed the last roughly 24 games.

That said, if healthy (big if at this point), AJ will help Burrow a ton. I don't love it, but I get it.

I'm more scared of a longer deal though. If we sign Green to a 3 year, $45 million contract and aren't willing/able to cut him down the road, it could become an anchor around our necks and severely hinder the team's ability to build a solid team around Burrow for most of his rookie contract.

If we aren't successful, I could see Burrow wanting out when his rookie deal is up. I'm thinking bigger picture here. Hopefully our front office is as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The good ole he’s a good dude signing. I just don’t see how paying a question mark that much money makes good football sense. Does anyone disagree that he’s a huge question mark? This has the team eating a lot of money written all over it. Could he bounce back? Sure... Is it a given that he will? No Way!
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 03:54 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The good ole he’s a good dude signing. I just don’t see how paying a question mark that much money makes good football sense. Does anyone disagree that he’s a huge question mark? This has the team eating a lot of money written all over it. Could he bounce back? Sure... Is it a given that he will? No Way!

It is a risk either way but it is a bigger risk to let AJ hit Free Agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 02:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's tough. I hate the prospect of spending $18 million in cap on a guy who has missed the last roughly 24 games.

That said, if healthy (big if at this point), AJ will help Burrow a ton. I don't love it, but I get it.

I'm more scared of a longer deal though. If we sign Green to a 3 year, $45 million contract and aren't willing/able to cut him down the road, it could become an anchor around our necks and severely hinder the team's ability to build a solid team around Burrow for most of his rookie contract.

If we aren't successful, I could see Burrow wanting out when his rookie deal is up. I'm thinking bigger picture here. Hopefully our front office is as well.

I think they are. Hence the tag. If AJ plays 16 games at a high level, then they can go from there.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is a risk either way but it is a bigger risk to let AJ hit Free Agency.

Yep. It’s also a risk to only give your rookie QB one good WR in Boyd. Even if we draft one you can’t count on a rookie WR to light it up his first season.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is a risk either way but it is a bigger risk to let AJ hit Free Agency.

I’ll just disagree with you. What are the odds that he comes close to his best years of production? I think the odds are much better that he won’t and that’s not even factoring in his health which is now extremely questionable.
Reply/Quote