Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ESPN Says We're Still Alive And My Reasons For Hope!
(09-23-2022, 01:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Can we save the season? Yes.

But, there's little margin for losing to like the Browns, Ravens, Jets, Dolphins, etc.

Bills and Chiefs are likely losses. Chargers. Bucs. We probably lose. So that's 6 losses.

And it's not like the Bengals are head and shoulders better than BAL or CLE.
There's a good chance the Bengals split with both of them.

So if they lose the 4 you mentioned + the 2 they've already lost + lose 2 more divisional games, they'll be sitting at 9-8.
TEN, NE, and MIA definitely have the capability to beat the Bengals too.

This could be a letdown season.
If the Bengals end up with 6 losses or more by the Bye, I'll probably lose any hope of them even making the playoffs, let alone advancing.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Conversely the Bengals will probably beat a couple teams nobody expects them to. It’s pointless to really try and predict it this far out. Especially when you don’t know who will be healthy or not.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 02:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Conversely the Bengals will probably beat a couple teams nobody expects them to. It’s pointless to really try and predict it this far out. Especially when you don’t know who will be healthy or not.

So we're winning week 13 against Kansas City, week 15 against Tampa Bay, and week 17 against Buffalo? Sweeeet.  Hilarious

Who Dey  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 02:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So we're winning week 13 against Kansas City, week 15 against Tampa Bay, and week 17 against Buffalo? Sweeeet.  Hilarious

Who Dey  

Why not? We beat KC twice last year, and Tampa Bay is  not exactly killing it regardless of being 2-0
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 02:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why not? We beat KC twice last year, 

So we are losing to the Jets this Sunday?

Damn!RantGaah
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2022, 06:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Trying to be realistic in this thread and not a homer.

Of all the 0-2 teams in the NFL, ESPN ranks us as having the best chance to still make the playoffs.

For some reason, even though I'm logged in to both, it's letting me view the article on my phone but not on my computer, so I'll try and copy and I'm posting from my computer.

Number five on their list is the Falcons, Panthers are fourth, the Raiders are third, the Titans are second, and we're first.

I understand our offensive line was horrible, which I think it's time to get rid of Pollack and Zac has to be less predictable, or at least one of those two.

We got demolished in the pass rush in the first two games and Burrow got killed, but let's also not forget that the Steelers have Watt and the Cowboys have Parsons and they're two of the best pass rushers in the league.

In the opening game, we beat the Steelers if Harris doesn't get hurt or we had a decent backup long snapper.

The article mentions how Burrow's QBR is 97.0 when he gets the ball out within two seconds of the snap, which is second best in the league, but then falls to 42.7 beyond two seconds, which is 25. It's no surprise that it's that low because he's usually on the run, getting hit, the ball's getting tipped, or Burrow has defenders up in his grill.

The article suggests maybe going back to five-wide sets, which Burrow was deadly with in college. It doesn't seem logical to take away blockers, but Burrow might be more comfortable and would have more options to get rid of the ball to if the pressure comes that fast.

It says a running game might be another solution to help but Mixon hasn't been great, either. I also blame Taylor's play calling for this because I've seen him run counters and delayed handoffs to Mixon when Mixon's strength seems to be to give him the ball running full speed to hit the hole quickly and then make people miss. I'm not saying dives up the middle every play but even the off-tackle plays take too long. Make the backers decide to play the run or hesitate and let Mixon get 4 to 5 yards a pop.

It says that the Jets have a bad defense, so this might be the perfect solution to jumpstart our offense but then also mentions that their strength is their pass rush.

If we can pull out a win against the Jets, I think it will give us confidence and then we have a streak of games that are all winnable.

Who-Dey!

Good work, Brad.

The bottom line for me on home is that their division is full over slightly above average teams.

The steelers are going to be the bottom feeder, and both the Browns and Ravens are flawed.  The Bengals still have a very good chance of winning their division.  

Has to start on Sunday, though.  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So we are losing to the Jets this Sunday?

Damn!RantGaah

We could....
Reply/Quote
Last year we looked like a much better team when we weren't facing an elite pass rush. I think we'll get some wins as the matchup gets easier in this regard. The line has to improve at some point this season as well.

It's tough to predict how the season goes from here but my intuition still says we make the playoffs. We lose to the Jets and that'll change quick.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And it's not like the Bengals are head and shoulders better than BAL or CLE.
There's a good chance the Bengals split with both of them.

So if they lose the 4 you mentioned + the 2 they've already lost + lose 2 more divisional games, they'll be sitting at 9-8.
TEN, NE, and MIA definitely have the capability to beat the Bengals too.

This could be a letdown season.
If the Bengals end up with 6 losses or more by the Bye, I'll probably lose any hope of them even making the playoffs, let alone advancing.

Precisely. I think teams can lose maybe 1 game on a year against someone they should beat, but we've now lost 2.

Now maybe we beat the Chiefs again? Could happen, but man we have to really turn things on in a hurry.

We have the Jets Sun and Dolphins Thurs.

That said, last year it seemed like we had big problems until the Bye week. Then the coaches fixed some things.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 02:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Conversely the Bengals will probably beat a couple teams nobody expects them to. It’s pointless to really try and predict it this far out. Especially when you don’t know who will be healthy or not.

Yeah...IF the offense gets figured out, we can win any game on our schedule. In the current state, I don't think we can beat an elite team.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 11:50 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If we win the next two and are 2-2, there is hope. If we end up 0-3, it's time to see if Soothsayer Ocho can correctly predict rounds 1-3 again with the draft much earlier than we all anticipated thinking about.

You are on it Tecmo.  If Bengals WIN Sunday, their play-off hopes stay very much alive.  If Bengals LOSE Sunday, as John Madden and so many TV Announcers always said, no team ever goes play-offs starting 0-3.   You are correct that those who do early Draft Day Predictions before October can fly into action if Bengals fall to 0-3. 

It's very simple.  At The New York Jets is a Play-Off Game coming in September for Bengals.  WIN and they stay in play-off hunt.  LOSE and stick a fork in Bengals, they are done.  The Fat Lady will sing early in September on Bengals season if they LOSE Sunday.  Teams that start 0-3 do not go play-offs.  This would be true of Bengals at 0-3 with too many teams on schedule such as Bills, Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers, Browns and others to add losses to the early 3 losses Bengals will have taken against teams they should have beat.  Add that in, that if you don't beat the teams you are suppose to beat, you are doomed.  Bengals played 2 new quarterbacks and lost, and Jets are not the Bills or The Chiefs.   

IF Bengals start 0-3, the Bengals really are THAT BAD, because you have to look to the quarterbacks and teams they are losing to. These are NOT the best quarterbacks in The NFL that Bengals have been losing to, although Apple makes them look like Tom Brady.  These QBs have been doing one thing smart, just throw to whoever Apple is covering. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 03:50 PM)kevin Wrote: You are on it Tecmo.  If Bengals WIN Sunday, their play-off hopes stay very much alive.  If Bengals LOSE Sunday, as John Madden and so many TV Announcers always said, no team ever goes play-offs starting 0-3.   You are correct that those who do early Draft Day Predictions before October can fly into action if Bengals fall to 0-3. 

It's very simple.  At The New York Jets is a Play-Off Game coming in September for Bengals.  WIN and they stay in play-off hunt.  LOSE and stick a fork in Bengals, they are done.  The Fat Lady will sing early in September on Bengals season if they LOSE Sunday.  Teams that start 0-3 do not go play-offs.  This would be true of Bengals at 0-3 with too many teams on schedule such as Bills, Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers, Browns and others to add losses to the early 3 losses Bengals will have taken against teams they should have beat.  Add that in, that if you don't beat the teams you are suppose to beat, you are doomed.  Bengals played 2 new quarterbacks and lost, and Jets are not the Bills or The Chiefs.   

IF Bengals start 0-3, the Bengals really are THAT BAD, because you have to look to the quarterbacks and teams they are losing to. These are NOT the best quarterbacks in The NFL that Bengals have been losing to, although Apple makes them look like Tom Brady.  These QBs have been doing one thing smart, just throw to whoever Apple is covering. 

What if they beat the Jets then lose to the Dolphins?

Is that better than losing to the Jets and beating the Dolphins?

1-3 is 1-3.
Reply/Quote
I disagree with ESPN. Our season is basically over already. Our oline is terrible again this year and I don't see any way to fix it. Let's just accept reality and look forward to next year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 04:06 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I disagree with ESPN. Our season is basically over already. Our oline is terrible again this year and I don't see any way to fix it. Let's just accept reality and look forward to next year.

Wow, do you give up on everything in life this easily?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 04:06 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I disagree with ESPN. Our season is basically over already. Our oline is terrible again this year and I don't see any way to fix it. Let's just accept reality and look forward to next year.

Who TF looks forward to the next football season in week 3 of the previous one??

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

'23 is going to suck also.

Anyone excited about anything before '24 is just a homer viewing the world through orange-colored glasses.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 04:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What if they beat the Jets then lose to the Dolphins?

Is that better than losing to the Jets and beating the Dolphins?

1-3 is 1-3.

John Madden and so many have said 0-3 teams do NOT go play-offs.  

But let's look at what you are indicating.  You suggest going 0-3 and they can still go to 1-3 against Miami.  What if they also lose to Miami and go to 0-4.  Why take a chance. 

And why focus on ways to get to 1-3.   Beat the Jets and give themselves a chance to get to 2-2 against Miami.   

If Bengals are looking at the ways to get to 1-3,  they are not a play-off team.  

Again, it is John Madden and other TV Announcers over the years who have the Stats to show 0-3 teams do NOT go to play-offs.  So Bengals better WIN Sunday.   

However, unlike some on here saying season is over at 0-2 and team will stink until 2024, that is crazy.  If Bengals WIN Sunday and get to 1-2, John Madden and TV Announcers always said you can go play-offs from 1-2, just not from 0-3.  SO GO BENGALS SUNDAY. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 09:55 PM)kevin Wrote: John Madden and so many have said 0-3 teams do NOT go play-offs.  

But let's look at what you are indicating.  You suggest going 0-3 and they can still go to 1-3 against Miami.  What if they also lose to Miami and go to 0-4.  Why take a chance. 

And why focus on ways to get to 1-3.   Beat the Jets and give themselves a chance to get to 2-2 against Miami.   

If Bengals are looking at the ways to get to 1-3,  they are not a play-off team.  

Again, it is John Madden and other TV Announcers over the years who have the Stats to show 0-3 teams do NOT go to play-offs.  So Bengals better WIN Sunday.   

However, unlike some on here saying season is over at 0-2 and team will stink until 2024, that is crazy.  If Bengals WIN Sunday and get to 1-2, John Madden and TV Announcers always said you can go play-offs from 1-2, just not from 0-3.  SO GO BENGALS SUNDAY. 

It's not over at 0-2...but 0 teams that started 0-2 made the playoffs over past 2 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 07:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This whole idea of can't make the playoffs at 0-2 is just bs. There are 17 games, and 10-7 likely gets you in the playoffs. That means we can lose the first two, and 5 more along the way. Nothing to worry about yet. And guess what, Pittsburgh now has 2 losses as well.

The problem is that given our schedule, those 7 losses were already accounted for by very good/talented teams. We passed these away on at-best-mediocre teams.

Not looking good.
Reply/Quote
I still can see us winning the next 3 games. But you have to win the next 2 at minimum.

Win Vs. Jets
Win @ Home vs. Dolphins
Win vs. Ravens
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote