Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN - The surprise guy from every NFL team's minicamp
ESPN posted an article this morning highlighting someone from every NFL team's minicamp.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40380139/nfl-surprise-standout-players-otas-spring-minicamps

For the Bengals, that player is...Dax Hill!

Quote:Hill entered the offseason in a precarious spot. The 2022 first-round pick was the starting free safety last season in an experiment that didn't pan out. Hill was moved to outside cornerback, where he appears to be taking charge in a position battle with DJ Turner, a second-round pick from 2023 who started 12 games. Hill has taken the move in stride and was disruptive in 7-on-7 drills during the team's mandatory minicamp. He's shaping up to remain a useful player for the Bengals as they enter training camp. -- Ben Baby

Thoughts?

Personally, I am happy that Hill might be taking that outside CB position, as he needs to solidify himself somewhere and emerge as a solid player.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2024, 12:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: ESPN posted an article this morning highlighting someone from every NFL team's minicamp.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40380139/nfl-surprise-standout-players-otas-spring-minicamps

Thoughts?

Personally, I am happy that Hill might be taking that outside CB position, as he needs to solidify himself somewhere and emerge as a solid player.

LOVE IT!

With our line being able to protect Burrow, teams will need to throw the ball to try and keep up with us, it's nice to know that we have guys ready to help slow the other teams down!
Reply/Quote
I've always asserted that Dax has the skillset to be an outside CB; some have disagreed.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Hill becoming a starter level CB with some versatility (slot, S) would be fantastic.

Turner seemed to struggle with bigger WRs after a strong start. I could see him in the slot.
Reply/Quote
I applaud the Bengals for moving Hill to CB. If the coaches determined the Safety position isn't his strength then at least the position change gives hope he can contribute to winning football in a different capacity. I'm rooting for Dax to experience success at CB.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2024, 01:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've always asserted that Dax has the skillset to be an outside CB; some have disagreed.

Skillset for sure. He’s also very intelligent. But I’ve followed him in high school and college as he’s from Tulsa. This is not the first time he’s been tried there. I hope he adapts.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2024, 01:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've always asserted that Dax has the skillset to be an outside CB; some have disagreed.

I thought so too due to his size, speed, and twitch.

6'0", 191 lbs is about perfect outside CB.
>32" arm length
Elite speed and agility. 
4.38 dash, 1.51 10-split, 4.06 shuttle, 6.57 3-cone.
9.44 RAS if comparing to CBs.

Let's compare him to Chido Awuzie.
6'0", 202 lbs
30.5" arm length
4.43 dash, 1.53 10-split, 4.14 shuttle, 6.81 3-cone.
9.64 RAS (higher than Hill because of 1 ft better broad jump and 11 lbs heavier)

Darius Slay, another really good CB in recent years, is 6'0", 192 lbs with about the same speed as Hill but less agility.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2024, 12:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: ESPN posted an article this morning highlighting someone from every NFL team's minicamp.

Thoughts?

Great news, Dax might be our most talented player in the Secondary. If he can take the outside Corner position it is great news for us
and for him. I was expecting him to get some Slot Corner snaps as well this year with the bigger TE's that can give Mike problems at 
times because of his size.
Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

I hope it translates to the field.

My biggest concern with Hill was never his physical capabilities, but rather his intangibles. You could tell he was struggling with the hand offs between CB and safety, which led to a fair number of explosive plays (the most notorious of which is when CTB assumed he had coverage behind him, but Hill broke in for some reason, leading to a long, wide open touchdown).

My concern is these lapses in responsibility will continue even with him at CB. But hey, if he can look good in camp, that's the first step towards being a productive player.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2024, 05:56 PM)CJD Wrote: I hope it translates to the field.

My biggest concern with Hill was never his physical capabilities, but rather his intangibles. You could tell he was struggling with the hand offs between CB and safety, which led to a fair number of explosive plays (the most notorious of which is when CTB assumed he had coverage behind him, but Hill broke in for some reason, leading to a long, wide open touchdown).

My concern is these lapses in responsibility will continue even with him at CB. But hey, if he can look good in camp, that's the first step towards being a productive player.

Communication comes top down. The safety has to make the check for the coverage and then the CB plays it in tandem with them. Hill sounds like he knew what the checks were but struggled with seeing and communicating it down. I think it's actually an advantage for him to know how things should work and have someone else tell him the call on how to play it.
Reply/Quote
I was hoping it was a newbie....
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 02:31 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I was hoping it was a newbie....

He's kind of a newbie at a new position so I'm ecstatic it's him especially at the CB position that's so important.
Reply/Quote
Personally,  I think he shocks Bengals nation and starts over Hilton in the slot this season. The whole move to outside CB is just a mirage at this point because has the ability to be an elite slot defender.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 04:12 PM)higgy100 Wrote: He's kind of a newbie at a new position so I'm ecstatic it's him especially at the CB position that's so important.

Agreed. The Bengals play a lot of nickel and Hill could easily be playing slot or nickelback in those situations. And since pretty often nickelbacks are just safeties anyways it wouldn't be a change at all. 

All of this leads me to think the Bengals keep 11 defensive backs and 5 linebackers on the final roster. 

Reply/Quote