Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Top 100 NFL players
ESPN put together a panel of over 50 "experts" who ranked players with no regard for what position they play. The Bengals had five players make the list.

Eifert 87
Dunlap 82
Whit 71
Geno 28
Green 19

I was personally surprised that Burfict did not make the list, but maybe the reputation is hurting him with many people. Who do you think should have been here and wasn't? Do you agree with the five who did make it?
Reply/Quote
It's ESPN, so it's pretty much a given I will disagree with whatever their "experts" have to say.

This is the same site that ranked Bryce Harper as the 85th best MLB player *OF ALL TIME*.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Love Eifert but if Dalton is not listed above his fragile-ness then disagree already.

Think others are about right though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 11:01 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's ESPN, so it's pretty much a given I will disagree with whatever their "experts" have to say.

This is the same site that ranked Bryce Harper as the 85th best MLB player *OF ALL TIME*.

Yeah, I would have to strongly disagree about Harper.  Does he have the potential to be one of the all time greats?  Yes, but he has not done it yet.

I just thought the article would make for interesting conversation.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 11:57 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Yeah, I would have to strongly disagree about Harper.  Does he have the potential to be one of the all time greats?  Yes, but he has not done it yet.

I just thought the article would make for interesting conversation.

Fair enough... I have to agree with Cards, though. Dalton over Eifert.

Also Atkins over AJ, probably.

Burfict and Jones not on there likely due to reputation bias.

Reply/Quote
Yeah, Eifert is good, but he's made of glass.  If you can't stay on the field, I don't see how you can be a top 100.  I mean the argument about Bo Jackson is that he can't be in a HOF, or on any such lists because of the small sample size due to injury.  Clearly, Bo is one of the best athletes, EVER.....but the injury tarnishes all of that.  So, the same should hold true here as well.  I'd also have Atkins higher, and most likely Dalton over Eifert.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Another lame ESPN popularity contest.

JJ Watt is number 1?... Really? He's the top player in the NFL?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 01:29 PM)jason Wrote: Another lame ESPN popularity contest.

JJ Watt is number 1?... Really? He's the top player in the NFL?

I mean, it's not like Watt is a scrub. He's had multiple 20+ sack seasons. 4-time All Pro player. Ranks 70th in all-time sacks in just his 5th season.

For reference, Hali ranks 48th with 11.5 more sacks. But also played in 5 more seasons than Watt.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 01:36 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I mean, it's not like Watt is a scrub. He's had multiple 20+ sack seasons. 4-time All Pro player. Ranks 70th in all-time sacks in just his 5th season.

For reference, Hali ranks 48th with 11.5 more sacks. But also played in 5 more seasons than Watt.

I know, but I'd say guys like Brady, Rogers, Cam, or even Antonio Brown affect the games more... If there was a redraft of the entire league, I doubt Watt would be the first guy taken.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 01:46 PM)jason Wrote: I know, but I'd say guys like Brady, Rogers, Cam, or even Antonio Brown affect the games more... If there was a redraft of the entire league, I doubt Watt would be the first guy taken.

Every player you listed was in the top six and the difference in percentage was 3% between Watt and Brady (number six).  It's really difficult to argue against Watt being definitely the best defensive player in the game.  The argument for him being the best overall is also pretty easy to make.
Reply/Quote
I'd feel better about Watt if I was sure he isn't on the juice.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 01:46 PM)jason Wrote: I know, but I'd say guys like Brady, Rogers, Cam, or even Antonio Brown affect the games more... If there was a redraft of the entire league, I doubt Watt would be the first guy taken.

(08-24-2016, 02:00 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Every player you listed was in the top six and the difference in percentage was 3% between Watt and Brady (number six).  It's really difficult to argue against Watt being definitely the best defensive player in the game.  The argument for him being the best overall is also pretty easy to make.

Also needs to be said that if there was a redraft of the entire league..... Brady is 39 years old, Rodgers will be turning 33 this year, and Newton just lost a SB due to running away from a fumble in the 4th quarter.

As for Watt vs Brown: Brown needs a good QB to be good. Watt doesn't need anybody else to be good. It's not a coincidence that Brown averaged 4.25 catches/58.75 yards/0.00 TDs in the four games Roethlisberger was out and 9.91 catches/133.25 yards/0.83 TDs in the 12 games with Roethlisberger.

Meanwhile JJ Watt had a broken hand and still led the NFL in sacks, AND is only 27.

If there was a redraft of the entire league, I would probably go JJ Watt with my first pick, Aaron Donald with my 2nd pick (over Geno only because he's 3 years younger), and maybe Khalil Mack with my 3rd pick. After that is when I would worry about a QB. I'm sure I could get an Andy Dalton or Blake Bortles then pretty easily, but the point would be, it doesn't matter who my opponents have at QB because they would never be healthy/standing upright.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 03:07 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I'd feel better about Watt if I was sure he isn't on the juice.

I'm sure he's not alone.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
First of all both dalton and eifert need to be in The top 50 sure he's had a lot of injuries but I also don't think he's injury prone I think it's just been bad luck I mean u had the whole season he missed that was when he went down bad on his elbow you had the stinger where he missed a couple games bc of a gio fumble and a concussion due to illegal mike Mitchell hit.... But even in kinky playing in 12 games still had most td from a tight end and one off the league lead for all positions plus he said he's still aiming to be back week one you add into that the fact that you lost jones and sanu that's a lot more targets for eifert so how the hell do u have him ranked in the bottom 20?? And then Andy dalton never gets respect so he wouldn't be in the top 100
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 03:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Also needs to be said that if there was a redraft of the entire league..... Brady is 39 years old, Rodgers will be turning 33 this year, and Newton just lost a SB due to running away from a fumble in the 4th quarter.

As for Watt vs Brown: Brown needs a good QB to be good. Watt doesn't need anybody else to be good. It's not a coincidence that Brown averaged 4.25 catches/58.75 yards/0.00 TDs in the four games Roethlisberger was out and 9.91 catches/133.25 yards/0.83 TDs in the 12 games with Roethlisberger.

Meanwhile JJ Watt had a broken hand and still led the NFL in sacks, AND is only 27.

If there was a redraft of the entire league, I would probably go JJ Watt with my first pick, Aaron Donald with my 2nd pick (over Geno only because he's 3 years younger), and maybe Khalil Mack with my 3rd pick. After that is when I would worry about a QB. I'm sure I could get an Andy Dalton or Blake Bortles then pretty easily, but the point would be, it doesn't matter who my opponents have at QB because they would never be healthy/standing upright.

Oh yeah.... I had Brown on my fantasy team last year. I'm well aware that he borderline sucks without Ben.... It makes you appreciate Deandre Hopkins. That guy played with by far the worst QBs of any of the top WRs. AJ Green was more productive with AJ under center than Brown was with Vick and whoever.

I'm in no way knocking Watt... Best D lineman in the game right now.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 10:57 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: ESPN put together a panel of over 50 "experts" who ranked players with no regard for what position they play.  The Bengals had five players make the list.

Eifert 87
Dunlap 82
Whit 71
Geno 28
Green 19

I was personally surprised that Burfict did not make the list, but maybe the reputation is hurting him with many people.  Who do you think should have been here and wasn't?  Do you agree with the five who did make it?

Dalton should be on the list.  Adam Jones should be on the list.

I'm trying to come up with a racist description for someone who doesn't like red heads or dreads...

Redheaddreadist?

Gingerlockist?

Orangemarleyist?
Reply/Quote

I hear a lot of this with regards to the Top QBs relative to other players, but consider this:  Rogers had a sub-par season when he lost one of his major weapons.  Brady had a very sub-par year a couple years back with the same situation.  I think Brown is amazing, but he also has benefitted from some outstanding weapons around him. 

Watt dominates every game he is in regardless of who is lined up against him, or around him.  I mean, can you imagine that dude next to Geno and Dunlap?  

I'm not a Watt-worshiper, but the guy is pretty amazing when healthy. 
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: Oh yeah.... I had Brown on my fantasy team last year. 

There was a certain sister-in-law that lives in Boston (I live in Centerville) that had Antonio Brown on her fantasy team.  The family has an entire league of just family members.  It's pretty fun, but one rule (that I thought went without saying) was no friggin steelers!  

One of my proudest moments came about six years ago, when we first did this league.  The morning after our auto-draft (too hard to get everyone together, even online) the waiver wire read about 5 steelers all RELEASED.  It was such a great thing to see...an entire family spread out across this great nation that hates the steelers.

But one family member kept Brown a couple years ago.  Needless to say, her Thanksgiving dinner place was in the bathroom eating off the lid of the toilet.   It was really nice, though, I gave her a small flower in a vase and a candle.  

My son beat her in the Super Bowl, the right way, with no steelers.  Proud papa.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 10:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There was a certain sister-in-law that lives in Boston (I live in Centerville) that had Antonio Brown on her fantasy team.  The family has an entire league of just family members.  It's pretty fun, but one rule (that I thought went without saying) was no friggin steelers!  

One of my proudest moments came about six years ago, when we first did this league.  The morning after our auto-draft (too hard to get everyone together, even online) the waiver wire read about 5 steelers all RELEASED.  It was such a great thing to see...an entire family spread out across this great nation that hates the steelers.

But one family member kept Brown a couple years ago.  Needless to say, her Thanksgiving dinner place was in the bathroom eating off the lid of the toilet.   It was really nice, though, I gave her a small flower in a vase and a candle.  

My son beat her in the Super Bowl, the right way, with no steelers.  Proud papa.

It makes me feel dirty to do it, but why play if you ain't trying to win? I'll draft him this year too if I get the chance.. I get what you're saying though. Especially when we are playing them. He's gonna do what he's gonna do regardless. Might as well try to win some money from it.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 10:18 PM)Jpoore Wrote: First of all both dalton and eifert need to be in The top 50 sure he's had a lot of injuries but I also don't think he's injury prone I think it's just been bad luck I mean u had the whole season he missed that was when he went down bad on his elbow you had the stinger where he missed a couple games bc of a gio fumble and a concussion due to illegal mike Mitchell hit.... But even in kinky playing in 12 games still had most td from a tight end and one off the league lead for all positions plus he said he's still aiming to be back week one you add into that the fact that you lost jones and sanu that's a lot more targets for eifert so how the hell do u have him ranked in the bottom 20?? And then Andy dalton never gets respect so he wouldn't be in the top 100

Call is bad luck if you want, but being hurt every single year you have been in the league does in fact make you "injury prone".  Eifert was still ranked in the top 100 players according to the poll.  In no way did they disrespect him.
Reply/Quote