Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN - Troy Blackburn comments on Bobby Hart signing
You won't like what Troy had to say...
Troy Blackburn Wrote:For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at 17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. ... There aren’t perfect options out there. We asked Willie Anderson if he could go to a time machine and come back at age 25. We’d love to sign him, but you have to deal in your universe of options. I think the data would say we signed more guys than most in line with the cap that we talked about. If there are surprises out there we’ll try to be flexible and aggressive, but normally there are no surprises out there.
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41059312-4

What this really tells me is that Troy confirmed the Bengals go to the NFL equivalent of Wal Mart to get their FAs. They don't shop at the high-end name brand stores. No wonder they can't find anything nice.  Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What’s he mean you can’t go to Walmart and grab a RT? Essentially what they did when they signed Hart last year. Now he’s apparently our permanent solution and I guess there is a rule against taking an OT in the first or 2nd round.

Give me Donald Penn over Hart.

He’s basically saying “hey, we dug ourselves a giant hole at RT. Hart is the best of a horrible situation so you can’t complain that I suck at my job”...as they did the hole deeper by signing him for three years.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You won't like what Troy had to say...
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41059312-4

What this really tells me is that Troy confirmed the Bengals go to the NFL equivalent of Wal Mart to get their FAs. They don't shop at the high-end name brand stores. No wonder they can't find anything nice.  Smirk

I mean he has a bit of a point but we still probably could of gotten someone better than Hart for at or near the same price...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:28 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: What’s he mean you can’t go to Walmart and grab a RT? Essentially what they did when they signed Hart last year. Now he’s apparently our permanent solution and I guess there is a rule against taking an OT in the first or 2nd round.

Give me Donald Penn over Hart

Me too, there were other RT's out there besides Brown and Hart.
Reply/Quote
He is right they couldn't go into the draft with only Cordy Glenn and practice squad Kent Perkins as the only tackles under contract. If they missed out on a tackle early then they would be in a worse position than before the draft. I see Hart as security going into the draft.

Harts contract also allowed them to resign alot of their guys they wouldnt have been able to with a huge contract OT. I see it as essentially a 2 year front loaded contract that the cap hit is around 5 mil both years and can cut very easily.

As for people talking Donald Penn he was cut well after FA started and no one is looking at him I'm guessing do to age and injury.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Wait for it, here he comes to defend the Bengals in 3,2,1...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:47 PM)Synric Wrote: He is right they couldn't go into the draft with only Cordy Glenn and practice squad Kent Perkins as the only tackles under contract. If they missed out on a tackle early then they would be in a worse position than before the draft. I see Hart as security going into the draft.

Harts contract also allowed them to resign alot of their guys they wouldnt have been able to with a huge contract OT. I see it as essentially a 2 year front loaded contract that the cap hit is around 5 mil both years and can cut very easily.

As for people talking Donald Penn he was cut well after FA started and no one is looking at him I'm guessing do to age and injury.

And that's true, but the criticism for Hart was primarily around the money given, not him coming back.
Seemed the Bengals panicked and gave Hart (much) more than what he probably deserved in fear of losing him and not having a RT to fill that gap (even though there were and still are plenty of other mediocre-to-bad OTs still available).

But hey, this is now the perfect opportunity for the Bengals to really turn Hart into a good RT and prove everyone wrong. If he sucks again though, they'll definitely be hearing about it from the fans. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Brown/Blackburn Family is a Dumb family.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And that's true, but the criticism for Hart was primarily around the money given, not him coming back.
Seemed the Bengals panicked and gave Hart (much) more than what he probably deserved in fear of losing him and not having a RT to fill that gap (even though there were and still are plenty of other mediocre-to-bad OTs still available).

But hey, this is now the perfect opportunity for the Bengals to really turn Hart into a good RT and prove everyone wrong. If he sucks again though, they'll definitely be hearing about it from the fans. 

I get it people are hung up on the money. I'm more pissed about the shitty situation they put their selves in that forced this signing by not taking a tackle in 2017 or 2018 drafts.

Edit: I'm similar to them never giving Bodine competition and being forced to take Price in round 1.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Not a surprising take from a guy who's only qualification for his job is sharing a double sided with the daughter of the owner.

This guys a f'n joke. Talking all tough like he's allowed to look his wife in the eyes when she snaps her fingers and he places her purse he was carrying in her hand.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:28 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I guess there is a rule against taking an OT in the first or 2nd round.

In fairness to Blackburn (and I HATE being fair to him) I think the implication was you don't tend to take a RT in the first 2 rounds and that's largely true. LT's? Sure. But RT's? Not really, it doesn't happen often. Willie Anderson, and Andre Smith both being Bengals 1st round picks and both being RT's though suggests otherwise. But in general, the early round T's almost always are either LT's, or considered LT's to be.
Reply/Quote
Troy's answer is a little cocky from a FO wanting to earn the trust of the fanbase back. I had a light "I want to punch him in the face" moment for a few seconds while reading, but over it now. I'm sure someone will sit him down after that and discuss what an ass hat he made of himself. Or, maybe he will read my post.

Reply/Quote
Troy appears to be a potentially bigger problem than Mike Brown when he's gone. He has zero, I mean absolute zero in the way of a football pedigree, and he sounds like a real asshole to boot. This dude is a high-level grifter that obviously doesn't give half a shit about making this into a winning team.

Between these comments and the Whitworth letter, we might want to stop encouraging ol Mikey Boy over the rainbow bridge. When he's gone, there's an even bigger douche in waiting, unbelievably. That's the kind of stuff that happens to sports fans in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:07 PM)Ravage Wrote: In fairness to Blackburn (and I HATE being fair to him) I think the implication was you don't tend to take a RT in the first 2 rounds and that's largely true. LT's? Sure. But RT's? Not really, it doesn't happen often. Willie Anderson, and Andre Smith both being Bengals 1st round picks and both being RT's though suggests otherwise. But in general, the early round T's almost always are either LT's, or considered LT's to be.

Yet the only RTs they've ever had real success with (the past 20 years at least) were all first round picks. So while it may not be true for most teams, it seems to be true for the Bengals.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Troy's answer is a little cocky from a FO wanting to earn the trust of the fanbase back. I had a light "I want to punch him in the face" moment for a few seconds while reading, but over it now. I'm sure someone will sit him down after that and discuss what an ass hat he made of himself. Or, maybe he will read my post.

Very true Harley, he did make an ass hat of himself lol
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yet the only RTs they've ever had real success with (the past 20 years at least) were all first round picks. So while it may not be true for most teams, it seems to be true for the Bengals.

No argument here. That's why I pointed to Willie and 'the dirty old penny you never can seem to get rid of' that is Andre Smith (he just KEEPS coming back!).

I'm not really trying to defend Blackburn. I just think it (the 3rd round comment) was more of an overall generalization from a guy who shouldn't be involved in scouting/drafting anyway. Stick to contracts and stuff Troy. Let the big boys handle the picking of the players, you handle getting them to sign on the dotted line.
Reply/Quote
Worst thing about his comment was the smug tone of voice. Does not sound professional at all.

And even if I agreed with the points he made he never explained why we had to sign Hart for THREE YEARS. No free agent RTs this year? Guess what, they have new free agents every year, dumbass.
Reply/Quote
The Blackburn doth protest too much, methinks...
Reply/Quote
I wonder what Troy would be doing if he wasn't banging Katie.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Pretty douchey....it seems.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote