Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN - Troy Blackburn comments on Bobby Hart signing
(03-31-2019, 04:34 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You really should not try to speak for everyone.

You were Denny on the old boards...  weren't you?!?   Cool  

I'm just saying that throwing out the ol' line "bad PR is better than no PR" is a caveman way to approaching appeal to a fan base you've said you want to win back.

Bad PR and poor signings are what they are.  Nothing else. 

Not some clever Jedi mind trick to make fans(of course not you)believe they're doing their damnedest to improve a shortfall of the team.

I don't speak for you or anyone else. 

However if you think the majority of fans like the Hart signing, and being told to deal with it, you're delusional.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 12:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am not ready to send Hart to the Pro BowlHilarious but I am willing to give him a shot as he was an upgrade over Fisher and Ced and he has potential to improve and help our team.   

Elite

High Quality

Good

Above Average

Average

Below Average

Poor

Rookie

Limited Informa

Now that part I can agree with.  ThumbsUp
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Some great irony in this now as we did end up starting MJ at Guard who was a 4th Round pick and is terrible. I forgot the Trent Brown part.

Troy Blackburn Wrote:

For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at 17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. ... There aren’t perfect options out there. We asked Willie Anderson if he could go to a time machine and come back at age 25. We’d love to sign him, but you have to deal in your universe of options. I think the data would say we signed more guys than most in line with the cap that we talked about. If there are surprises out there we’ll try to be flexible and aggressive, but normally there are no surprises out there.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41059312-4
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 04:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some great irony in this now as we did end up starting MJ at Guard who was a 4th Round pick and is terrible. I forgot the Trent Brown part.

Troy Blackburn Wrote:

For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at 17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. ... There aren’t perfect options out there. We asked Willie Anderson if he could go to a time machine and come back at age 25. We’d love to sign him, but you have to deal in your universe of options. I think the data would say we signed more guys than most in line with the cap that we talked about. If there are surprises out there we’ll try to be flexible and aggressive, but normally there are no surprises out there.

Interesting to revisit this.
Funny that Blackburn takes a stab at Trent Brown (who is a Top 10 OT right now) because of his draft grade yet the Bengals' best OL is former UDFA Trey Hopkins. Guess Blackburn doesn't realize that draft picks can be developed (although I can't say I blame him after seeing the lack of success the previous Bengals staff had with late rounders).
Also, Blackburn really needs to stop touting the quantity of draft picks and start focusing on the quality.

Hart, Dennard, Brown, Miller, Webb, Wynn, Eifert, Uzomah, Brown, and Hopkins = $37 mill.
Bengals still have $14.4 mill in cap space. $51.4 mill if combined with the above FA contracts.

Bengals could have gone with Hopkins ($3.1 mill), Miller ($5.3 mill), and Uzomah ($6 mill) plus Mosley ($13 mill) and Trent Brown ($15.25 mill) and spent $42.65 mill. That would have left $8.75 mill. They could have filled out the remaining 5 positions with near-minimum contracts with that budget.

Imagine how much better this team would likely be with Mosley and Trent Brown instead of Hart, Preston Brown, Eifert, Webb, Dennard, and Wynn.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if Blackburn has the self awareness to recognize how ***** stupid he looks.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 05:19 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I wonder if Blackburn has the self awareness to recognize how ***** stupid he looks.

He probably laughing all the way to the bank with zero f's to give
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 04:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some great irony in this now as we did end up starting MJ at Guard who was a 4th Round pick and is terrible. I forgot the Trent Brown part.

Troy Blackburn Wrote:

"In our business you have to solve the problem"

Never let the same people try and solve thew problem if they CREATED the problem. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote