Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN - Troy Blackburn comments on Bobby Hart signing
(03-28-2019, 04:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would say the Bengals will keep Hart at least through the 2nd year of his deal because that's what they do, but they did just release Burfict with two years left on his deal. So I guess it's possible.

I've lost optimism a long time ago though haha.

(03-28-2019, 04:30 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: If past experience is any indication I highly doubt they will cut him. They may set up contracts now and then that they could get out of but how often do they actually cut guys who don’t live up to their salary? In fact, I believe one of their selling points in negotiations is that they almost never do so players are more likely to see all of their money if they sign with us than with another team for more money but end up getting cut after a year or two.

That’s why I cringed at the 3 years. I would feel a bit better if it were an actual one year deal. At least then I can dream about improving the next year

Oh believe me, I know. I said in the post he'd likely end up being here all three years. But who knows? They have done strange things before (Giving Antonio Bryant 8 mil to hang out in the spring and training camp). I'm just desperately trying to look at whatever small bright side there is out of a garbage move and situation.
Reply/Quote
Now that we know the details Hart's contract is basically one year with pretty easy outs thereafter. Also (and interesting) are two thing in his scouting reports - better suited to Guard and better at drive blocking than zone schemes. Add in Miller and maybe the plan is indeed to junk the zone blocking and adopt a more power scheme (which at least three of our starters are better suited for).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
"For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that?

You're going to bet the season on Hart ?
Reply/Quote
Troy came a bit unraveled there. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

How about something like this instead Troy?

We are excited to have our new staff work with Bobby to improve his game. He is still a young player and we feel that with dedication and hard work this goal is achievable.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 04:27 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: [Image: south-park-sorry02.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 04:14 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Backpedaling.

Actually, his original statement was "I don't have to explain anything to you ham and eggers!"
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 04:06 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yep agree.  The arrogance on the guy.  And like there was no other options than Hart.  Fml.   I’m starting to worry about the franchise for the next few years.   QB Lawrence come on down.

And not to mention he failed to note that RT has been an issue for years and they have failed to fix the f'ing problem. One band aid after another.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 05:12 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: And not to mention he failed to note that RT has been an issue for years and they have failed to fix the f'ing problem. One band aid after another.

Their logic, probably..."We drafted a 1st round OT, a 2nd round OT, AND we picked up Eric Winston and Bobby Hart in FA. You can't say we didn't try!"
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 04:53 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: We are excited to have our new staff work with Bobby to improve his game. He is still a young player and we feel that with dedication and hard work this goal is achievable.

Where were you when Katie needed the "D?" You could have taken one for the team. Not a "D" but, well, you know what I mean.

Reply/Quote
Is it at all telling he said “draft one in the third round?” That worries me
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 05:25 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Where were you when Katie needed the "D?" You could have taken one for the team. Not a "D" but, well, you know what I mean.

And i would have done it for however long it took. Sad

[Image: 35546123001_4896123112001_4896107440001-...5546123001]

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=10042199][Image: face-blowing-a-kiss.png] Sick

Reply/Quote
Just sounds so unprofessional in my opinion. Just say we didn’t value the free agent tackles available and our front office and new coaching staff have faith in Hart. Say Bobby as of now is our starting right tackle but all options are open in the draft including tackle. Not sure why he is saying Brown was drafted in the 7th round like that has anything to do with how he played.
Reply/Quote
I am trying to keep a broad perspective on this topic. I will give kudos to the FO for taking the risk in hiring Taylor and changing most of the coaching staff.

The Bengals are not in a position of strength at this moment and the O-Line problem is partly blamed on Lewis et al. Remember, Hart's contract is essentially a one year deal with escalators. If anything, Troy is acknowledging the problem at OT. They may stock pile several O-line personnel this year but I doubt they spend #11 on OT even if Taylor is there. Historically, the FO values skilled positions in round 1.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 04:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: "For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that?

You're going to bet the season on Hart ?

Bobby isn't good, by any stretch.  However, he was miles better than Og and Fisher.  The offense was far and away the strength of the team, moved the ball, and put up points until injuries set in.  Hart took penalties and gave up sacks, but he opened holes in the run game and his guy wasn't in Andy's lap every play.
Reply/Quote
Troy Blackburn Wrote:For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at 17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency).

You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. ... There aren’t perfect options out there. We asked Willie Anderson if he could go to a time machine and come back at age 25. We’d love to sign him, but you have to deal in your universe of options. I think the data would say we signed more guys than most in line with the cap that we talked about. If there are surprises out there we’ll try to be flexible and aggressive, but normally there are no surprises out there.

"There wasn't shit else on the market (that we felt like paying for), so we had to do SOMETHING" - boy...what a ringing endorsement for Bobby Hart. Also, way to inspire confidence from the fan base. Reading this makes me pumped up for that "New Dey".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You won't like what Troy had to say...
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41059312-4

What this really tells me is that Troy confirmed the Bengals go to the NFL equivalent of Wal Mart to get their FAs. They don't shop at the high-end name brand stores. No wonder they can't find anything nice.  Smirk

I've now come to the conclusion that Troy Blackburn is an idiot. Katie married someone just like her father.

Dear Troy,

People did not dislike the signing of Hart because he was signed. Everyone more or less expected that he would be signed as a backup.

What people didn't like it the team giving one of the worst RTs in the league such a big contract. For a front office that preaches fruggleness, it was a pretty shocking contract amount.

And, since when was Hart or a 3rd round pick the only options for the team at RT?

The only job the front office has is to get the best talent possible on the team while staying within the salary cap.

That's basically one sentence which clearly delineates the entire job of the front office. Some of the talent is going to come from the draft, some from free agents who are looking for a team to play for.

But, I will admit that the Hart signing was a lot better than if the team had re-signed Ogbuehi, although I'm convinced the team considered it.

Reply/Quote

Don't tell me what to think!   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

What this really tells me is that Troy confirmed the Bengals go to the NFL equivalent of Wal Mart to get their FAs. They don't shop at the high-end name brand stores. No wonder they can't find anything nice.  Smirk

Exactly! Stop looking for a QUALITY RT at Wal Mart....... typical Bengals. You're not going to find Prime Rib at McDonald's either. Unbelievable.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 07:38 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Exactly! Stop looking for a QUALITY RT at Wal Mart....... typical Bengals. You're not going to find Prime Rib at McDonald's either. Unbelievable.

But McRib? Mmm :drool:
Reply/Quote
First dont like his smugness.

Second, why sign Hart, who wasn't good at all in his one season contract year to a NEW 3 year deal?

I really hope Taylor is the second coming of Bill Walsh, because with this three headed GM this team will be screwed.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote