Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Will Mixon or Ross Be Tougher On Defenses?

The video at the top of the page just mostly discusses Mixon's "off-field issues," which it was just one issue, not plural (unless you call a verbal altercation with a parking lot attendant an "issue" :roll eyes:) , and doesn't discuss his play much because, well, the "controversy" gets them more clicks. The end of the video does discuss how he can be versatile, run between the tackles, catch the ball out of the backfield, and be a home-run hitter.

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals drafted two home-run hitters in running back Joe Mixon and receiver John Ross. ESPN's AFC North reporters weighed in on which one will cause defenses more problems as rookies.

People always call me out for saying "home-run hitter," but they say it in the video and in print on the page...... I should be an ESPN analyst Hilarious

Quote:Jeremy Fowler, ESPN's Pittsburgh Steelers reporter: Let's go with Mixon, who has a chance to be the best running back from this draft over the next few years. Jeremy Hill hasn't been a decisive or aggressive runner the past two years, and with Gio Bernard battling injuries, Mixon will be the feature back soon enough. His combination of size (6-foot-1, 226) and speed (4.4 40) is well-suited for the AFC North. His game reminds me a bit of Le'Veon Bell. Ross is the home run hitter the Bengals need opposite A.J. Green,but he has battled injuries in recent years, and his size (5-foot-11, 188) isn't ideal for an outside receiver. Not that he can't be successful early in his career, but Mixon has a clearer path to a big rookie season.

I love that a Steelers reporter is saying how his game reminds him of Le'Veon Bell's because, while he isn't necessarily comparing them or saying he'll be as good as Bell, reminding him of Bell's play is a good sign. You can't deny that his play does remind you of Bell's in that he can run between the tackles, be physical and/or elusive runner, catch it out of the backfield, and take one to the house at any moment.

The Ross talk does get me excited because he points out that Ross is also a big play threat, and good luck trying to load the box and still find enough defenders to keep deep to stop AJ and Ross.

Quote:Pat McManamon, ESPN's Cleveland Browns reporter: Rookie receivers don't often make large impacts, but the Bengals have an exception to that general statement. A.J. Green was outstanding as a rookie (1,057 yards and seven touchdowns with a rookie quarterback), and he has been outstanding since. For that reason, Ross will benefit. As long as Green plays and is healthy, he will command double coverage and defensive emphasis. That opens up the field for other players, which should help Ross overcome the rookie challenges. He might not put up Green-like numbers, but if his talent is real he'll present more of a challenge to defenses than Mixon, who figures to share time and carries with Jeremy Hill.

I don't think he'll share much time with Hill, besides for MAYBE goal line carries (if Hill is even still on the team), but I do like his point about Ross and it's what I was saying above about not having enough safeties to load the box and double AJ and Ross.

I do fear Marvin's conservativeness in that aspect and feel like he'll let a lot of opportunities go and instruct Zampese to be conservstive/try to run the clock out when we should be going for the throat.

Quote:Jamison Hensley, ESPN's Baltimore Ravens reporter: I'm going with John Ross, even though history says it takes wide receivers longer to adjust to the NFL than running backs. The reasoning is the fastest player in this year's draft will be getting single coverage. All of the defensive attention will remain on wide receiver A.J. Green. The second priority of the pass defense is to stop tight end Tyler Eifert. This is going to free up Ross, who was tied for first among Power 5 receivers with 17 touchdown catches in 2016 and ended the season with 81 catches for 1,150 yards. Look at the production of the Bengals' No. 2 receivers behind Green: Brandon LaFell (64 catches for 862 yards in 2016) and Marvin Jones (65 receptions for 816 yards in 2015). That's the type of impact Ross should make.

That just is another idea that AJ will be drawing the safety over and leaving Ross single-covered, but also throws in that Eifert will do damage. I wonder if we'll use Eifert properly, though, and actually utilize him more as a receiving option more and down the field more. Uzomah and Kroft should also be considered as dangerous.

I personally think that it will be Mixon and that he'll take the league by storm (assuming Marvin doesn't stay loyal to Hill, but given how ineffective Hill has been, I have faith in Marvin) because it's been a long time that we've had a back like him that can do so much and take any play to the house. As always, the line play does worry me and that could damage Mixon's play, but I think they'll at least be decent, and all of our other weapons should keep defenses in check.

Anybody else excited about this article?
Reply/Quote
I think Ross will have a better chance to shine with Green getting a lot of the coverage. Mixon will have to deal with the Oline that needs help. I hope both have a good year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2017, 07:02 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think Ross will have a better chance to shine with Green getting a lot of the coverage. Mixon will have to deal with the Oline that needs help. I hope both have a good year.

I'm putting my faith in the line that they can at least open some holes without having to be dominant and Mixon is good enough to succeed with just that.

I agree though that it's amazing to have Green on one side that you have to double and then Ross on the other side who will burn you deep if you try to single cover him.

I'd LOVE for our first play of the season to be fake to Mixon off-tackle and then just throw a bomb to Ross with the other team shading the safety and everyone to AJ's side.
Reply/Quote
Once Defenses see that Ross is too fast for single coverage which should be about halfway through the first quarter of the first game, they will have to not only double Green but give Saftey help to help cover Ross.

Once Ross and Green demand Defensive personel, that's when Eifert and whoever is in the Slot will get big gains pulling a DE away from the O Line to give the Defenses LB's some help.

Now that the DB's, S's, LB's and a DE running 15 to 20 yards off the Line of Scrimmage, we will see single backfield sets and power running from Mixon.

Now the Bengals will have to watch out for the Run Blitz which Dalton will read all day long and audible out of the run that stupid Marvin wants and throw downfield to a wide open Ross who just flat outran the DB for an 47 yard throw and 27 yard run for a TD. 

By the way, Ogbuhei committed a False Start making it 1st and 20 at the start of the third quarter with the Bengals up 21-3 and got lazy.
Reply/Quote
It is exciting thinking of what they potentially add to the offense.

Hope they both work out and believe they both will.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It better be Joe "Quick-hit-her" Mixon. Changing my fantasy team name to this for the year btw.:)
AJ is the #1 here. All other WRs are complementary for the time being. That said, I obviously hope that Ross can contribute early& often, but have my doubts.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2017, 06:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That just is another idea that AJ will be drawing the safety over and leaving Ross single-covered, but also throws in that Eifert will do damage.  I wonder if we'll use Eifert properly, though, and actually utilize him more as a receiving option more and down the field more.  Uzomah and Kroft should also be considered as dangerous.

I personally think that it will be Mixon and that he'll take the league by storm (assuming Marvin doesn't stay loyal to Hill, but given how ineffective Hill has been, I have faith in Marvin) because it's been a long time that we've had a back like him that can do so much and take any play to the house.  As always, the line play does worry me and that could damage Mixon's play, but I think they'll at least be decent, and all of our other weapons should keep defenses in check.  

Anybody else excited about this article?

I sure am!  Good find.  I love reading articles like this one.  

I am going to go with Ross only due to the fact that Hill is in his contract year, and Gio should be 100% close to the beginning of the season.  That isn't to say that I don't think Mixon will be a big addition.  I just have a feeling that with more weapons on the field (Ross and Eifert at the very least with AJ), that defenses will not be able to stack the line and the running game in and of itself will be improved, regardless of who is toting the rock.  

Hill lost the playoff game with a fumble, and he seems to have become less decisive as a RB, but a contract year is a heck of a motivator.  He knows that there will be lots of less expensive options in the draft so to get a good "second bite of the apple", he will need to have an outstanding season.  I doubt strongly he would end up back here, but the Bengals could be the beneficiary of a great season plus a supplemental pick.  

Ross has been my dream pick for some time now.  The Ravens reporter seems to get it best.  If he is single covered, you have to play off.  If you play off and miss a tackle, he's gone.  If you play press and he beats it, he's gone.  Ross is going to help open up the middle of the field as safeties will have to play deeper for these reasons.  He may not end the season with something like 85 receptions, but his mere presence will be a huge factor.  
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2017, 07:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm putting my faith in the line that they can at least open some holes without having to be dominant and Mixon is good enough to succeed with just that.

I agree though that it's amazing to have Green on one side that you have to double and then Ross on the other side who will burn you deep if you try to single cover him.

I'd LOVE for our first play of the season to be fake to Mixon off-tackle and then just throw a bomb to Ross with the other team shading the safety and everyone to AJ's side.

I am so with you on this point, but I think we saw Marv's one and only aggressive start to a game when Sanu threw the bomb to AJ Green on the first play of the game.  I doubt we see anything aggressive from Marv again this decade.   Nervous
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2017, 11:24 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Once Defenses see that Ross is too fast for single coverage which should be about halfway through the first quarter of the first game, they will have to not only double Green but give Saftey help to help cover Ross.

Once Ross and Green demand Defensive personel, that's when Eifert and whoever is in the Slot will get big gains pulling a DE away from the O Line to give the Defenses LB's some help.

Now that the DB's, S's, LB's and a DE running 15 to 20 yards off the Line of Scrimmage, we will see single backfield sets and power running from Mixon.

Now the Bengals will have to watch out for the Run Blitz which Dalton will read all day long and audible out of the run that stupid Marvin wants and throw downfield to a wide open Ross who just flat outran the DB for an 47 yard throw and 27 yard run for a TD. 

By the way, Ogbuhei committed a False Start making it 1st and 20 at the start of the third quarter with the Bengals up 21-3 and got lazy.

Don't forget Malone and Core, who are both faster than hell as well. It's going to be hard to cover all that speed if Malone proves he can catch.... that said, I think it is Mixon who lights up defenses in his rookie year...
Reply/Quote
I don't know how good Mixon is at running up the gut, but that is likely where the holes will be. I'd say Ross will have the bigger highlights, until opposing DCs realize that they have to dedicate their fastest DB to covering him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just because the punditry class says something it absolutely has to be true. They've never been known to be wrong, right? 
Errrr...hold on just a cott'n pick'n minute...lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 12:31 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just because the punditry class says something it absolutely has to be true. They've never been known to be wrong, right? 
Errrr...hold on just a cott'n pick'n minute...lol

[Image: 1cc356.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I think it will be Ross. He has a clearer path to more snaps. Hopefully he gets in a full training camp. He needs to be the starting #2.

While Mixon should be involved in a committee. Mixon should start. Gio should be the 3rd down back and Hill should be the closer. Get up by 30 at half time running shot gun spread with two versatile backs and just pound Hill the second half.
Reply/Quote
I actually think Mixon will have more of an impact in our passing game than Running.
Reply/Quote
John Ross, and here's why:

One of the best using his feet, especially for double moves. He also has a nasty burst in and out of cuts. He's dropped only 6 passes the past 2 years. He's arguably the best route runner coming out of this draft.

Now here's how he fits the Bengals:

Dalton does tend to overthrow receivers outside of Green. Also, some of our players aren't good at tracking deep balls. Both of those are things Ross excels at. Great at ball tracking and plays tough EVEN when he is injured. He missed 0 games last year after an ACL injury. He has a shoulder injury and still competed at a high level.

I understand there's a lot to like about Mixon as a player. But Ross gives us something we've NEVER had before. Ross plays very similar to Chad Johnson when it comes to route running and footwork (not during his prime obviously). But they're very similar players. The main difference coming into his rookie year, is Ross' speed.

Out of the shotgun, you have Green, Ross, LaFell/Boyd, and Eifert. Ross will get his single coverage.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Ross, because he'll do more to help Mixon than our Oline. Together with AJ, Tyler Boyd, Eifert, and company, nobody is going to be stacking the line to defend the run. If they do, watch Andy burn them.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 03:22 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I actually think Mixon will have more of an impact in our passing game than Running.
Mixon is a great receiver and will have a very big impact in the passing game, and I don't see it being bigger than the running game because he'll get (or he SHOULD get) 20-to-25 carries in the run game and close to 100 yards (being very conservative with that number), but I think his pass-catching ability will complement his run game very well.  

It will be interesting to see if Zamp is smart enough to use him in the pass game.  
(07-02-2017, 03:42 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: John Ross, and here's why:

One of the best using his feet, especially for double moves. He also has a nasty burst in and out of cuts. He's dropped only 6 passes the past 2 years. He's arguably the best route runner coming out of this draft.

Now here's how he fits the Bengals:

Dalton does tend to overthrow receivers outside of Green. Also, some of our players aren't good at tracking deep balls. Both of those are things Ross excels at. Great at ball tracking and plays tough EVEN when he is injured. He missed 0 games last year after an ACL injury. He has a shoulder injury and still competed at a high level.

I understand there's a lot to like about Mixon as a player. But Ross gives us something we've NEVER had before. Ross plays very similar to Chad Johnson when it comes to route running and footwork (not during his prime obviously). But they're very similar players. The main difference coming into his rookie year, is Ross' speed.

Out of the shotgun, you have Green, Ross, LaFell/Boyd, and Eifert. Ross will get his single coverage.
All great points and I love thinking about him on deep routes, but, even in the pass-happy league, you still need to establish a run game, especially in the AFCN and you know that's Marvin's mindset.  

I don't think we should go into every game with the same mindset and I think we need to game plan for each team (Marvin's weakness), but having a strong run game and imposing our will on the Ravens and Steelers is important in my mind to controlling the game.

Of course, we also have plenty of weapons to open it up and attack once we're wearing them down, but I think establishing the run is big.  

Don't get me wrong because I also think we should attack through the air, but I think that first imposing our will in the running game is important.
(07-02-2017, 08:16 PM)Shady Wrote: Ross, because he'll do more to help Mixon than our Oline. Together with AJ, Tyler Boyd, Eifert, and company, nobody is going to be stacking the line to defend the run. If they do, watch Andy burn them.

I don't think they're going to have a choice and they'll have to stack the line because Mixon can take any play to the house.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 02:29 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think it will be Ross. He has a clearer path to more snaps. Hopefully he gets in a full training camp. He needs to be the starting #2.

While Mixon should be involved in a committee. Mixon should start. Gio should be the 3rd down back and Hill should be the closer. Get up by 30 at half time running shot gun spread with two versatile backs and just pound Hill the second half.

Remember what happened the last time we tried to pound Hill and run out the clock?

The biggest Bengals heartbreak this century.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 08:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon is a great receiver and will have a very big impact in the passing game, and I don't see it being bigger than the running game because he'll get (or he SHOULD get) 20-to-25 carries in the run game and close to 100 yards (being very conservative with that number), but I think his pass-catching ability will complement his run game very well.  

It will be interesting to see if Zamp is smart enough to use him in the pass game.  
All great points and I love thinking about him on deep routes, but, even in the pass-happy league, you still need to establish a run game, especially in the AFCN and you know that's Marvin's mindset.  

I don't think we should go into every game with the same mindset and I think we need to game plan for each team (Marvin's weakness), but having a strong run game and imposing our will on the Ravens and Steelers is important in my mind to controlling the game.

Of course, we also have plenty of weapons to open it up and attack once we're wearing them down, but I think establishing the run is big.  

Don't get me wrong because I also think we should attack through the air, but I think that first imposing our will in the running game is important.

I don't think they're going to have a choice and they'll have to stack the line because Mixon can take any play to the house.

I will be very disappointed if Zamp doesn't use Mixon in the passing game. With Mixon and Gio both having excellent receiving ability it's a no brainer. If he dosent, maybe they should have just drafted someone like Foreman. I'm pretty excited about this season. If Ross (who I didn't want but I get it) and Mixon are as advertised, we could have a dangerous offense. If the O line over achieves we might have the best offense in team history. Let's get this season started already. Can't wait.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 12:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: 1cc356.jpg]

slightly longer than a new york minute Ninja
Reply/Quote