Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Will Mixon or Ross Be Tougher On Defenses?
(07-02-2017, 03:42 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: John Ross, and here's why:

One of the best using his feet, especially for double moves. He also has a nasty burst in and out of cuts. He's dropped only 6 passes the past 2 years. He's arguably the best route runner coming out of this draft.

Now here's how he fits the Bengals:

Dalton does tend to overthrow receivers outside of Green. Also, some of our players aren't good at tracking deep balls. Both of those are things Ross excels at. Great at ball tracking and plays tough EVEN when he is injured. He missed 0 games last year after an ACL injury. He has a shoulder injury and still competed at a high level.

I understand there's a lot to like about Mixon as a player. But Ross gives us something we've NEVER had before. Ross plays very similar to Chad Johnson when it comes to route running and footwork (not during his prime obviously). But they're very similar players. The main difference coming into his rookie year, is Ross' speed.

Out of the shotgun, you have Green, Ross, LaFell/Boyd, and Eifert. Ross will get his single coverage.

Agree with everything you say here, but I am not so sure about Dalton tending to overthrow receivers not named Green.  I thought he had really nice chemistry with Marvin Jones while he was here.  

Regardless, the last line is what drew my attention:  specifically, "LaFell/Boyd".  Ross can also line up at the slot, with Core moving to his normal "X" position.  The slot WRs might have the most fun of any in this group.  Ditto the RBs out of the backfield.

I keep referencing the synergy of having Chad and Henry outside with TJ Whostolemyhonda in the slot.  With Chad's versatility, he was getting the double coverage.  Henry was the vertical threat and red zone target.  But it was TJ who racked up 112 receptions (Chad had 93).  The slot was where the mismatch occurred.  The TEs at that time were Reggie Kelly and Daniel Coats and Brat was not as big a TE guy (or maybe he didn't have the right TE?) but the 3rd down back (Kenny Watson...who I always called "Sexual Chocolate"...for all you Coming to America fans....and, yes, I know in the movie it was Randy Watson) had 52 receptions.  

I look at the talent at RB with Gio and Mixon, the talent at slot WR with Boyd, LaFell, and Ross, and the talent at TE with Eifert, Uzo,  Kroft, and Hewitt, and I think those guys are going to eat very well underneath and Dalton is likely to have the highest completion % of his career.  

More first downs.  More sustained drives.  More points.  More wins...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 08:16 PM)Shady Wrote: Ross, because he'll do more to help Mixon than our Oline. Together with AJ, Tyler Boyd, Eifert, and company, nobody is going to be stacking the line to defend the run. If they do, watch Andy burn them.

I think Dalton might need to wear a bib in his first game as he is likely drooling over the weaponry he has at this point compared to what he worked with at the end of last season.  Good for you, Andy....you deserve it.  
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 08:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Remember what happened the last time we tried to pound Hill and run out the clock?

The biggest Bengals heartbreak this century.

Wound, meet salt...  Sick
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 01:34 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: It better be  Joe "Quick-hit-her" Mixon. Changing my fantasy team name to this for the year btw.:)
AJ is the #1 here. All other WRs are complementary for the time being. That said, I obviously hope that Ross can contribute early& often, but have my doubts.

Once ol Raging Bull hits the defense in the mouth, they'll drop like a drunk college chick. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Can't help but feel a little sorry for Whit and Peko since the first year they are gone will be the first Super Bowl win..... Cool
Reply/Quote
^^That would make a Superbowl winning even better. Hilarious LMAO
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2017, 06:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:
The video at the top of the page just mostly discusses Mixon's "off-field issues," which it was just one issue, not plural (unless you call a verbal altercation with a parking lot attendant an "issue"  :roll eyes:) , and doesn't discuss his play much because, well, the "controversy" gets them more clicks.  The end of the video does discuss how he can be versatile, run between the tackles, catch the ball out of the backfield, and be a home-run hitter.

People always call me out for saying "home-run hitter," but they say it in the video and in print on the page......  I should be an ESPN analyst  Hilarious

I love that a Steelers reporter is saying how his game reminds him of Le'Veon Bell's because, while he isn't necessarily comparing them or saying he'll be as good as Bell, reminding him of Bell's play is a good sign.  You can't deny that his play does remind you of Bell's in that he can run between the tackles, be physical and/or elusive runner, catch it out of the backfield, and take one to the house at any moment.

The Ross talk does get me excited because he points out that Ross is also a big play threat, and good luck trying to load the box and still find enough defenders to keep deep to stop AJ and Ross.

I don't think he'll share much time with Hill, besides for MAYBE goal line carries (if Hill is even still on the team), but I do like his point about Ross and it's what I was saying above about not having enough safeties to load the box and double AJ and Ross.

I do fear Marvin's conservativeness in that aspect and feel like he'll let a lot of opportunities go and instruct Zampese to be conservstive/try to run the clock out when we should be going for the throat.

That just is another idea that AJ will be drawing the safety over and leaving Ross single-covered, but also throws in that Eifert will do damage.  I wonder if we'll use Eifert properly, though, and actually utilize him more as a receiving option more and down the field more.  Uzomah and Kroft should also be considered as dangerous.

I personally think that it will be Mixon and that he'll take the league by storm (assuming Marvin doesn't stay loyal to Hill, but given how ineffective Hill has been, I have faith in Marvin) because it's been a long time that we've had a back like him that can do so much and take any play to the house.  As always, the line play does worry me and that could damage Mixon's play, but I think they'll at least be decent, and all of our other weapons should keep defenses in check.  

Anybody else excited about this article?

Nice thread Brad, gotta go with Mixon cause of his versatility and the fact Hill and Gio have been disappointments as of late.

Love Ross though just as much if not more, he is such a great receiver, he isn't just speed, he could score a lot of Touchdowns
if AJ and Eifert can stay somewhat healthy and he might even with them banged up. That is how good John Ross can be, just
depends on how the O-line can play as we all know. As of right now i am expecting the OL to be rough early this season and
iron it out as the season goes on.

If Andre Smith can stay healthy and Boling is 100% we should be better in the run game this year so this would be best for
Mixon's chances to be the ROY for the team.

Health is everything as it is with Ross's shoulder, we will see but as of right now i have to go with Mixon as well for this very
reason. Mixon is healthy, he can pick up the blitz and he can catch the ball out of the backfield and has great vision.

John Ross is amazing though and could blow people's minds when healthy with his feet and route patterns. Dude is smart.
Reply/Quote
Ross because our line sucks and well have to pass ALOT this year to compete in games
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 04:54 PM)Housh Wrote: Ross because our line sucks and well have to pass ALOT this year to compete in games

Piano Man's got this..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2017, 08:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agree with everything you say here, but I am not so sure about Dalton tending to overthrow receivers not named Green.  I thought he had really nice chemistry with Marvin Jones while he was here.  

Regardless, the last line is what drew my attention:  specifically, "LaFell/Boyd".  Ross can also line up at the slot, with Core moving to his normal "X" position.  The slot WRs might have the most fun of any in this group.  Ditto the RBs out of the backfield.

I keep referencing the synergy of having Chad and Henry outside with TJ Whostolemyhonda in the slot.  With Chad's versatility, he was getting the double coverage.  Henry was the vertical threat and red zone target.  But it was TJ who racked up 112 receptions (Chad had 93).  The slot was where the mismatch occurred.  The TEs at that time were Reggie Kelly and Daniel Coats and Brat was not as big a TE guy (or maybe he didn't have the right TE?) but the 3rd down back (Kenny Watson...who I always called "Sexual Chocolate"...for all you Coming to America fans....and, yes, I know in the movie it was Randy Watson) had 52 receptions.  

I look at the talent at RB with Gio and Mixon, the talent at slot WR with Boyd, LaFell, and Ross, and the talent at TE with Eifert, Uzo,  Kroft, and Hewitt, and I think those guys are going to eat very well underneath and Dalton is likely to have the highest completion % of his career.  

More first downs.  More sustained drives.  More points.  More wins...

[Image: ndvd109xw0hy5-544.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 08:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: "Mixon is a great receiver and will have a very big impact in the passing game...  but having a strong run game and imposing our will on the Ravens and Steelers is important in my mind to controlling the game."

It's going to be really hard to stop the Bengals if they use this talent wisely - and if everyone stays healthy for at least most of the season.

If teams go into a prevent defense Mixon should be able to eat them alive and eat up the clock.   If they stack the box Ross, Eifert and Mixon should eat them alive in the middle of the field and eat up the clock.  If they defend that well AJ and Ross can eat them alive on short passes on the edge while Eifert, Mixon and Boyd keep them busy in the middle.

We should have an answer for every defensive adjustment an opposing team can meet.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 11:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: ndvd109xw0hy5-544.jpg]

I'm serious...Harley might start feeling threatened.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Based on What we know and whos on the Roster id say Mixon has the better chance for a bigger impact this season.
Hill While scoring TDs hasn't been a very solid runner. Gio recovinger from an injury
Mixon should get carries right away.

Ross.. Still recovering from his shoulder procedure. will be a bit behind learning the scheme and plays. And with our WR talent I expect Ross to be rotated in with boyd and lafell. possibly limiting his chances.

As the season progresses though the scales could change into ross's favor if hes on the field more. (and mixon is still sharing the load)
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2017, 04:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Based on What we know and whos on the Roster id say Mixon has the better chance for a bigger impact this season.
Hill While scoring TDs hasn't been a very solid runner. Gio recovinger from an injury
Mixon should get carries right away.

Ross.. Still recovering from his shoulder procedure. will be a bit behind learning the scheme and plays. And with our WR talent I expect Ross to be rotated in with boyd and lafell. possibly limiting his chances.

As the season progresses though the scales could change into ross's favor if hes on the field more. (and mixon is still sharing the load)

Everyone keeps saying that Hill will steal the goal line carries because he did last year, but that was because we didn't have anyone else to do it.

Mixon is only ten pounds lighter than Hill, which ten pounds can be put on easy without losing running ability when muscle is added because it weighs more than fat, and not to mention that Mixon has no problem being a physical runner. Mixon only being 20 also means that is body can most likely still develop a bit and get bigger.

When our team drives the length of the field and is in position to score, I doubt that we're going to want to switch-up what has gotten us down there, and the players (linemen, specifically), might not like to see Hill steal the glory for a play and start dancing in the endzone like he did all the work.

Those are more things that I think make Hill expendable, but, then again, we might keep him for depth.
Reply/Quote
Numbers-wise, it should be Mixon. Impact might be a toss up. As I said, Mizon will have bigger numbers but Ross will be able to impact games just as a decoy. Of course, he will be more than a decoy but the attention he draws away from AJ and Eifert will be a big deal.

In summation, I'm gonna say it'll be a tossup.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
AJ Green
Reply/Quote