Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN and PFF Rank Bengals 2019 Draft Class as Worst in the NFL
(01-23-2020, 09:16 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/28517018/ranking-nfl-most-productive-2019-rookie-classes-1-32

Brutal.

Can't say I disagree with them though.

Tough to argue with it.  They got 9 games out of their 1st two picks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 12:16 AM)Whatever Wrote: Tough to argue with it.  They got 9 games out of their 1st two picks.

The draft was a dumpster fire, anyone arguing that is a homer. I stopped following it after the Sample pick. People on here talking it up because the LB started to show growth towards the end of the year but he's just a guy, nothing special, most teams have 2-3 of him running around making tackles, we just overstate his skill and value because the Bengals haven't been able to identify and draft guys that tackle in a decade. 

I haven't watched a game in 2 years, Mike Brown, give me a reason to turn back in outside of stumbling into the #1 overall pick in a year that we were "going for it". 

Joke of a franchise, doesn't deserve my time, my money or my attention. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 11:31 AM)Sanforbd Wrote: The draft was a dumpster fire, anyone arguing that is a homer. I stopped following it after the Sample pick. People on here talking it up because the LB started to show growth towards the end of the year but he's just a guy, nothing special, most teams have 2-3 of him running around making tackles, we just overstate his skill and value because the Bengals haven't been able to identify and draft guys that tackle in a decade. 

I haven't watched a game in 2 years, Mike Brown, give me a reason to turn back in outside of stumbling into the #1 overall pick in a year that we were "going for it". 

Joke of a franchise, doesn't deserve my time, my money or my attention

People who really feel like this do not spend time on message boards after the season is over.

Weak troll is weak.
Reply/Quote
Kind of silly to judge a draft after just one season, but can't really disagree with the ranking at this point.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:52 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I remember thats what we supposedly drafted him for, run blocking. They hyped him as the best blocking TE in the draft to justify the pick, I do remember that. Sounds nice, but like you said, the plays they were calling early on werent a fit for him or anyone else apparently. He may improve next season all things considered, but we still probably couldve got him a round later. 

Pratt got better and better. Williams I have hope he will be a solid OT for us. Jordan was a bit raw coming in but showed improvement toward the end. I have hope for him. We need guys to get healthy and see if they progress. I hope they all do.

Just have to hope these coaches, namely Zac start understanding how to use players to their strengths.

Marv had a big problem with this but he was an old dog.

At least Taylor is young and can learn, this is my hope. We need to adapt more to the Saints type of Offense that Burrow thrived
in at LSU, more of using the RB's in the passing game etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:52 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I remember thats what we supposedly drafted him for, run blocking. 

No. No, it's not.
Reply/Quote
does zac taylor count as part of the draft class
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 09:16 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/28517018/ranking-nfl-most-productive-2019-rookie-classes-1-32

Brutal.

Why is this click bait even brought up?  You can't evaluate a draft class after a single season. At the conclusion of the 2000 season, the Patriots 2000 draft looks like one of the worst in NFL history. 20 years later it is one of the best since it netted Belicheck and Brady.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 01:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Why is this click bait even brought up?  You can't evaluate a draft class after a single season.  At the conclusion of the 2000 season, the Patriots 2000 draft looks like one of the worst in NFL history.  20 years later it is one of the best since it netted Belicheck and Brady.

Well the ESPN one is about the most/least productive rookie classes for the 2019 season. Bengals had easily the least productive rookie class. That doesnt mean they will be the least productive rookie class from that draft career wise, but just for their rookie season.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
We'll see.  The jury's still out on Williams.  Even if LT is too much for him, you'd think that he could play guard. 
I've seen enough out of Pratt to conclude that he has a shot at having a good career at linebacker - especially if he's paired with a rangy WILL who can be the peanut butter to his jelly.
2 OK starters isn't that bad of a draft.  Maybe one of those two develops into a good starter, or some of the others develop into STs/backups.  It wasn't a great draft, no, but this analysis strikes me as being a bit melodramatic.
Reply/Quote
The benefit of hindsight is awesome isn't it ?
Reply/Quote
Can't grade this draft until we see our first round pick. Really we could have had a very very good draft if we found a cornerstone LT. That type of return is easily top 3 in value.
Reply/Quote

Brutal.

Just 5 years ago we had the deepest roster in the NFL, arguably the best on paper. But the lack of FA moves in our favor and absolute draft bust has killed this team. I use to like Duke, now I have no idea how he still has a job. Well I do cause it’s the Bengals after all but still pretty amazing.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 04:24 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Just 5 years ago we had the deepest roster in the NFL, arguably the best on paper. But the lack of FA moves in our favor and absolute draft bust has killed this team. I use to like Duke, now I have no idea how he still has a job. Well I do cause it’s the Bengals after all but still pretty amazing.

Right.

There were times when only an upgrade at Center would have put them in with top tiered teams talent-wise.

Now they have a lot of holes with lack of depth and not all because they didn't try.

Call it what you want, but it's failure...  whether but missing on draft picks, letting internal FAs walk, or lack of solid FA activity.

Someone needs to be held accountable.  Tobin would be top of that list in my opinion but it's not like their going to fire him.

Not sure they could do worse but we are talking about The Family after all.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People who really feel like this do not spend time on message boards after the season is over.

Weak troll is weak.

Dude's only got 8 posts including the one you replied to here.

I don't know if I'd qualify that as much time spent on a message board.  Mellow
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I like Zac! I'm trying to give him a chance, but I sure wish that he would surround himself with some better coordinators/proven football minds.
The run game did come along towards the back half, but I think it was more Mixon's determination to reach 1000 as much as anything else.
Some credit to the oline down the stretch.
Williams should pan out. This draft is crucial to this organization. They are in a great spot to do well, as long as they don't reach.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 09:19 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I like Zac! I'm trying to give him a chance, but I sure wish that he would surround himself with some better coordinators/proven football minds.
The run game did come along towards the back half, but I think it was more Mixon's determination to reach 1000 as much as anything else.
Some credit to the oline down the stretch.
Williams should pan out. This draft is crucial to this organization. They are in a great spot to do well, as long as they don't reach.

I feel the same, Zac just put too much on his plate calling plays IMO.

Unless he grows in the play calling department or he humbles himself enough to have someone else calling the plays I don't see 
greatness coming on Offense even with Burrow. Things need to change round here man regardless of how it does. Win please.

This is all I ask. I did like how Zac gave Dalton plays to pick from and let him select from them as the game went last season.

Problem was Dalton evidently didn't know what the Defense was doing or they weren't plays that Dalton was good at.

Need to make sure Burrow is completely comfortable in the Offense. #1 Offseason strategy.
Reply/Quote
At least Williams and Pratt made sense as picks. Sample only made sense if they were going to use a different blocking scheme than what they tried. And by the time they moved to a scheme where Sample would be useful he was hurt. Finley turned out to be terrible and Jordan is raw to put it lightly. The rest were just crapshoots needing a LOT of seasoning to even play.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 10:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: At least Williams and Pratt made sense as picks. Sample only made sense if they were going to use a different blocking scheme than what they tried. And by the time they moved to a scheme where Sample would be useful he was hurt. Finley turned out to be terrible and Jordan is raw to put it lightly. The rest were just crapshoots needing a LOT of seasoning to even play.

All true, just hope that it was Taylor not having much time and not enough evaluation to make the best picks.

Or the worst case scenario is he doesn't have any power and Duke and the FO just suck at making picks and having a plan.

Zac needs to have a plan. You cannot just be a HC for the first time and come in with no plan.

We cannot just put everything on Joe Burrow regardless.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 10:25 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: In his defense, he was hired on February 4th. Brian Callahan wasn't hired until February 7th and Lou Anarumo wasn't hired until February 21st.

So that was a lot of time where we had essentially no coordinators or head coaches actively scouting for us. They all missed the Senior Bowl, for example.

This year they've had since December to scout, so that should help.

We'll skip the part where we realize that your coaches should not be your principal scouts but...you know...Bengals be Bengaling sometimes.

He would have done better in the draft just using Kiper or McShays draft rankings...what a disaster of a Draft, and Tobin still has a job 
Reply/Quote