Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN article - worst NFL draft move for each team in past 5 seasons
ESPN just released an article on who they believe is the worst draft pick for each NFL team over the past 5 seasons.

For the Bengals, it was Robert Sands, a 5th round pick back in 2011.
Coley Harvey Wrote:The jury is still out on current players Russell Bodine, who was picked right after a mid-round trade with Seattle in 2014, and 2013 second-rounder Margus Hunt. Those two aside, though, the worst move had to be taking Robert Sands in the fifth round in 2011. The mid-round safety spent all of 2012 on the injured reserve and then was cut the following year after an arrest for domestic violence. His ex-wife later claimed the Bengals hid Sands' repeated instances of domestic abuse. Coach Marvin Lewis refuted those claims.

I'm kind of surprised that Devon Still or Dontay Moch wasn't selected. I think Hunt will take this "honor" though once he's out of the league within two years.

Regardless, looking at what the other teams have listed, the Bengals have shown to draft pretty darn well.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160412/worst-nfl-draft-move-all-32-teams-2011
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Believe Hunt will win this as well unless he becomes a player instead of a project very, very quickly.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Bodine is up there. The one time in decades we finally decide to trade up and that's what we get for it. Have to wonder if we even trust them to move up anymore...

No such thing as a 5th round bust (or worst pick) so Sands shouldn't even be mentioned.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
If our worst are Sands and Hunt, then we aren't doing so bad drafting.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 10:05 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bodine is up there. The one time in decades we finally decide to trade up and that's what we get for it. Have to wonder if we even trust them to move up anymore...

No such thing as a 5th round bust (or worst pick) so Sands shouldn't even be mentioned.

So a guy who has started 2 years at center after being a 4th round pick is as bad as a guy who never played a snap in the NFL?

how do you hold that high of expectations for a 4th rounder yet just 20 picks later (there is no such thing as a 5th round bust) flawed logic
Reply/Quote
Don't know how either a 4th round pick (Bodine) or a 5th rounder (Sands) can be considered a bi bust. The majproty f players taken in the 4th and 5th round never come close to being starters.

Not saying Bodine is good just because he is starting. Just saying he is not any worse than most other fourth round picks.

To me it has to be Devon Still or Margus Hunt because they were second rounder.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 10:57 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: So a guy who has started 2 years at center after being a 4th round pick is as bad as a guy who never played a snap in the NFL?

how do you hold that high of expectations for a 4th rounder yet just 20 picks later (there is no such thing as a 5th round bust) flawed logic

Because we actually traded up for him. He cost two picks instead of one. If picks are like gold for the front office, that is a pretty significant blunder. Especially given how rare they do it. Anytime you do something rare like trading up, it adds pressure to the success of that player. Bodine has proven not worthy of them breaking the trend and giving up picks to get him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: ESPN just released an article on who they believe is the worst draft pick for each NFL team over the past 5 seasons.

I'm kind of surprised that Devon Still or Dontay Moch wasn't selected. I think Hunt will take this "honor" though once he's out of the league within two years.

Regardless, looking at what the other teams have listed, the Bengals have shown to draft pretty darn well.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160412/worst-nfl-draft-move-all-32-teams-2011

I don't think he had the stones to call Still, a guy who's daughter was diagnosed mid career, a bust given his circumstances.

I do think it's funny that, right now, our biggest whiff is a 5th rounder? That's not bad at all.
Reply/Quote
Agree with fred today.

Hunt and Still. Still has a excuse.

Still left to be seen considering where they were drafted:

Kirkpatrick and Dennard (Not feeling Hall and Joseph here)

Reply/Quote
Kirkpatrick will be there if he doesn't pick it up, but I think Hunt pretty much has that on lockdown considering how amazingly little he's done while being a 2nd round pick, which I guess also puts Moch and Still in that conversation.

Odd choice by them, choosing a 5th round pick over 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round picks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'd put Hunt over Sands. Sands came in as a 5th rounder with very little expectations. Hunt was sold to us as an eventual replacement of MJ, but that didn't happen.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Sadly the Bengals don't have Bullwinkle in the draft room.. He could go 'Eanie Meanie, Chilly Beanie, the spirits are about to speak!'
I could go into the whole former secretary of defense thing about the known unknown thing, but I just doubt that they have any way of knowing that Sands may or may not have beat up his gf ahead of time.. I asked Marvin to cover up all my indiscretions too ..
Right now Hunt is in the hunt. I'm still waiting for the great blocked field goal..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: ESPN just released an article on who they believe is the worst draft pick for each NFL team over the past 5 seasons.

While we all seem to point to Hunt or Still or Moch as our draft problems, we do pretty darn good compared with other teams.

I know we'll never be prefect in the draft, but I'd love it if the team wouldn't hang on to guy who have proven they don't have IT.

Reply/Quote
Imo, our worst blunder was taking jake fisher over tyler lockett last year. Lockett is already a great number 2 wr, which we could use now, but he is also a game changer at returning kicks. . Fisher might be a good hback as he waits in the wings to contribute to the ol but c'mon...i think anwering this question with some 5th rd pick is pretty lame. Its either passing up on lockett for an hback or the hunt debacle.
Reply/Quote
I'm leaning more toward Kirkpatrick. He's had some flashes, but between injury issues and inconsistent play, he hasn't lived up to where he was taken in the draft.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Margus Hunt, hands down. Selected the highest and produced about the same as Sands and Moch.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 10:12 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If our worst are Sands and Hunt, then we aren't doing so bad drafting.

Hunt was a second round pick and an absolutely horrible one at that. You don't draft a second rounder as a "Project"
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 10:47 AM)GodFather Wrote:  You don't draft a second rounder as a "Project"

This is a complete myth.  Every other team in the league has done the exact same thing.  

Hunt was not a guy who had never played football before.  He was an All Conference player from a D-1 school.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is a complete myth.  Every other team in the league has done the exact same thing.  

Hunt was not a guy who had never played football before.  He was an All Conference player from a D-1 school.

True, Hunt did play at SMU for four seasons (2009-2012) and improved in his stat totals every year. However, he was not a football player prior to 2009.

Also of note is that while Hunt was at a D-1 school, it was as a member of a lesser D-1 conference (Conference USA).
The other schools in that conference were UCF, East Carolina, Marshall, Memphis, UAB, Southern Miss, Tulsa, Rice, Houston, UTEP, and Tulane.
He didn't really light up this weaker conference, only having a high of 8 sacks in a season (senior-2012). In his junior season (2011), he didn't have a sack the entire year until his bowl game against Pitt.

There was reason to have hope on his potential given his strength, size, and steady improvement every year, but there was definitely risk taking a player relatively new to the sport and from a weaker D-1 conference.

Just didn't work out for the Bengals unfortunately.

EDIT: I thought Alex Okafor would have been a better pick (was taken early Rd 4). While not as big as Hunt, Okafor had 24 sacks in the same time as Hunt, was far more experienced, and played in a Power 5 conference. Okafor has tallied 10 sacks in three seasons with Arizona, but is playing at LB. Many said though during draft time that he was an ideal 4-3 base end.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 01:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: there was definitely risk taking a player relatively new to the sport and from a weaker D-1 conference.

I never disputed this.  All I said was that every other team in the league does the same thing.

The same year we took Hunt in the second the Pats took two guys in the second round from the same conference (Marshall and Southern MIssissippi)
Reply/Quote