Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN joins in calling out Zac Taylor's plays
(09-21-2021, 10:11 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Nah, I think it’s overblown and criticisms for specific play-calling is missing the mark.

My criticism is pace and not utilizing Burrow’s knowledge more.  I’d run tons more no huddle and let Joe do his thing.

Pace is also a problem and comes under the design of the offense - for some strange reason the Bengals constantly avoid uptempo like it is the plague but when they do use it they are effective. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: I have been calling out the dumb play calling ever since Zac arrived. And this week was if anything worse than the usual and went back on the progress we thought we saw. He went back to the stupid empty backfield, no max protect versus a strong front, no deep throws (and Burrow had time to make them), no movement, draws, screens or anything to burn a defense being too aggressive coming upfield. They were facing a secondary which was epically bad against long passes the previous week and waited until the fourth quarter was half gone to actually challenge it. 

They had an effective game plan week one, with the tighter formations, Burrow under center and running to the edges. Virtually no empty sets. They should have stayed with it. 

Completely agree. The empty set is crap, I've hated it since it started. I don't care if that is Burrow's preferred set up. The team can't handle it or play call from it correctly. Get under center or even in the pistol and make sure you have a TE to chip and a back to play action off of and success will be had. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yet right after the Vikings game there was a thread created that is now a sticky thread about "A little coaching props..."

One game and everyone is saying he was too aggressive (myself included) by going for it on 4th from the 30 but overall the gameplan was sound and the team won, too now is clueless and has lost the locker room. His track record from U.C., Miami, and previous seasons with the Bengals is not good but again week one people were saying perhaps he turned a corner. Now after playing a defense that only needed to rush 4 to get to Burrow, everyone is off the wagon. Chicago's defense is good, and really a bad match-up for the Bengals. The Bengals offense isn't the Los Angeles Rams, that team is well coached top to bottom and has a damn good line and a gun slinger veteran at QB with lots of weapons. 

Wasnt Zac Taylor proclaimed to be the 
Next up and coming genius of offensive
Minds when the Bengals hired him?
You say the Bengals offense isnt the LA Rams......
Well how many years do we have to give ZT 
Before this offense is considered at the Rams 
Level?
The truth is that Zac in 3'yrs has yet to create a 
Identity for this offense other than it lacks one.
He has not evolved or grown as a offensive mind.
Maybe in his own thinking he has.
But the numbers don't lie.

Taylor has no.idea on how to use the whole football
Field when.it comes to designing a passing game.
The Bears took away the deep ball and Zac was clueless on.how to.counter

In reality he is a high school level HC trying to be
A NFL coach
Reply/Quote
Taylor sucks. Bengals are not a good team with him and I fully expect for good teams to beat the brakes off of this team. Question is if the organization will pull the plug before all of our young talent is either broken or playing elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:25 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Wasnt Zac Taylor proclaimed to be the 
Level?

A NFL coach

Yep

Just "the play calling" being bad is not the real problem. It's deeper that that. Zac Taylor is a page flipper play caller. He's never even came close to developing an offensive identity with this team.

He slings this against the wall then that against the wall but there's no destination we're heading to.

He can't or won't adapt in game. If plan A doesn't work there's an L coming.

We need a real OC BAD.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

Just "the play calling" being bad is not the real problem. It's deeper that that. Zac Taylor is a page flipper play caller. He's never even came close to developing an offensive identity with this team.

He slings this against the wall then that against the wall but there's no destination we're heading to.

He can't or won't adapt in game. If plan A doesn't work there's an L coming.

We need a real OC BAD.

That comes under play calling too. Note I also said the designs are bad - which is why there is no identity on offense. 

Oh and the Bears did not take the deep ball away - they had 8 or more within 10 yards of the LOS most of the game. We did not attempt the deep ball until the middle of the fourth quarter...
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 07:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think the point Nati was trying to make is that no matter what happens, people will be bitching about it.

(09-21-2021, 07:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sadly Ocho, there would still be a few posters that would complain we didn't win the right way or by enough or... 

I honestly think the team could win the Super Bowl and there would be a few people complaining or saying it was lucky.

(09-21-2021, 07:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yup... if only they had a way to know what his offense would have looked like prior to letting him call plays.

Hell, could have made a non-long distance call (Mike would approve) to the University of Cincinnati and would have gotten some insight about him as a play caller and O.C.

The guy has brought in some good players and created a good culture but certainly needs someone else to be calling the plays.

What Murdock said...
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:25 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Wasnt Zac Taylor proclaimed to be the next up and coming genius of offensive minds when the Bengals hired him?

Well how many years do we have to give ZT before this offense is considered at the Rams Level?

The truth is that Zac in 3'yrs has yet to create a identity for this offense other than it lacks one.
He has not evolved or grown as a offensive mind. Maybe in his own thinking he has. But the numbers don't lie.

Taylor has no idea on how to use the whole football field when.it comes to designing a passing game.
The Bears took away the deep ball and Zac was clueless on how to counter

In reality he is a high school level HC trying to be an NFL coach

I believe so.

This team will never be Rams level, Taylor isn't McVay and the team doesn't have the line quality LA does.

If you mistook my reply as defending Taylor, it wasn't. If you read through the thread I started out posting people would complain win or loss and pointed out that after week 1 there was a thread praising the coaching and now everyone is bashing him. I find it commical. 

His record speaks for itself, he failed at U.C. as a OC and failed at Miami as that as well. I think most people like the talent he has assembled, but he shouldn't be calling plays. 

And yes I changed your haiku posting into a paragraph.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:53 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I believe so.

This team will never be Rams level, Taylor isn't McVay and the team doesn't have the line quality LA does.

If you mistook my reply as defending Taylor, it wasn't. If you read through the thread I started out posting people would complain win or loss and pointed out that after week 1 there was a thread praising the coaching and now everyone is bashing him. I find it commical. 

His record speaks for itself, he failed at U.C. as a OC and failed at Miami as that as well. I think most people like the talent he has assembled, but he shouldn't be calling plays. 

And yes I changed your haiku posting in a paragraph.

Good job changing the Haiku man lol
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good job changing the Haiku man lol

Thanks lol. 

I guess it is just his style?

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Thanks lol. 

I guess so, I like what Impactplaya says...
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Thanks lol. 

I dont know. When thoughts are transfered from mind
To keypad I.guess that is the way it presents itself 
On the posting. 
Oh ..oh.well I.guess. 
I do think that this offensive  coaching staff needs 
Another mind, another set of ideas.
Somebody in a advisor role. Somebody that has
Been around the game for awhile.
Im not impressed with ZT or BC. 
They might be too alike in their philosophies
Neither has a resume that equates success

I tell ya who has a  good offensive mind
Is Todd Haley. He did well as the Chiefs and 
Steelers OC if memory serves right
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:09 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I dont know. When thoughts are transfered from mind
To keypad I.guess that is the way it presents itself 
On the posting. 
Oh ..oh.well I.guess. 
I do think that this offensive  coaching staff needs 
Another mind, another set of ideas.
Somebody in a advisor role. Somebody that has
Been around the game for awhile.
Im not impressed with ZT or BC. 
They might be too alike in their philosophies
Neither has a resume that equates success

I tell ya who has a  good offensive mind
Is Todd Haley. He did well as the Chiefs and 
Steelers OC if memory serves right

He's had some success and of course had some of that success with the steelers against Cincinnati.

The one drawback to Haley is his personality can be problematic. He got into it with Ben a few times in pitt and I'm not sure how that would go with Burrow. It's a story that has followed him from place to place "Haley can be combative and sometimes clashes with players."
 https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-hire-cardinals-offensive-coordinator-haley-as-coach-09000d5d80e9b58a

I'm in agreement with you, there needs to be another voice in the room that calls the plays or atleast has some insight into things. 

There was a poll about Joe Brady and people were against him due to not having a long NFL track record. So, why not reach out to him this off-season and make him the O.C./Assistant Head Coach, like they did with Hue. Since it would be a promotion, I believe they could hire him away from Carolina. Gives a voice that I think would be really helpful and was a lot of the reason for LSU's record season.

Reply/Quote
Whoever they would hopefully bring in would need full authority over the design of the offense, the plays, the whole ball of wax.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown could call a better series of offensive plays than Zac Taylor. That’s how putrid this offense has become.
Reply/Quote
I just realized in 4 of the 7 wins that Zac has
Those coaches are no longer NFL HCs
Kitchens Browns
Crennel Texans
Bradley Jags
Gase Jets

And the other 3 coaches he has beaten.have defensive
Backgrounds
Tomlin
ZIMMER
Vrabel.
Reply/Quote
If you remember Taylor's interview after the Minnesota game, when asked about Burrow limping off the field his response was along the lines of "I just turned and looked the other direction and pretended like it didn't happen, because he has to be out there." I fully believe that scared Taylor and he is now hesitant to call the long ball plays, especially when a front 4 like Chicago's is coming after him. He's just too scared to lose Burrow for the season again. MB should insist Callahan call the plays for a game or two to see if things improve.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 06:20 PM)Joelist Wrote: And here's Ben Baby saying it flat out - the play calling sucks:

https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/33343/bengals-loss-to-bears-raises-questions-about-zac-taylor-as-a-playcaller

wait they are just now raising questions?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:25 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Wasnt Zac Taylor proclaimed to be the 
Level?

A NFL coach

we got sold a lemon...

Zach Taylor is a used car salesman at best
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: He's had some success and of course had some of that success with the steelers against Cincinnati.

The one drawback to Haley is his personality can be problematic. He got into it with Ben a few times in pitt and I'm not sure how that would go with Burrow. It's a story that has followed him from place to place "Haley can be combative and sometimes clashes with players."
 https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-hire-cardinals-offensive-coordinator-haley-as-coach-09000d5d80e9b58a

I'm in agreement with you, there needs to be another voice in the room that calls the plays or atleast has some insight into things. 

There was a poll about Joe Brady and people were against him due to not having a long NFL track record. So, why not reach out to him this off-season and make him the O.C./Assistant Head Coach, like they did with Hue. Since it would be a promotion, I believe they could hire him away from Carolina. Gives a voice that I think would be really helpful and was a lot of the reason for LSU's record season.

Murdock this seems reasonable but if you can't tell by Zac's pressers he's a big egoistical.  He's much rather be out of a job than hand play calling duties over to the next head coach in waiting.   You'd think after the massive call for turning over playcalling last off season he would've given up the play calling to Callahan but yea again we can see either Callahan doesn't have a clue about what an OC does or Zac has the ego the size of the moon and isn't willing to give up the play calling.  

Plus it'd be stupid for Joe Brady to take a job as the OC/Assistant Head Coach.  Hell I'm sure the Panthers would have no problem matching that offer and keeping him in Carolina.  The only way Brady leaves Carolina is for a Head Coaching job in the NFL.  
Reply/Quote