Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN playoff machine - predictions
Posted this in another thread, but I figured it'd be fun to see what results other people are getting...that way we can see what the most common result is.

Here's the link: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

For anyone who doesn't know, this is a calculator where you predict the result of each game for the remainder of the season, and it shows you what the playoffs would look like if your scenario plays out.

My results:

Top Seeds in AFC:

KC
New England

Wildcard games: Cincy at Houston - LA Chargers at Pittsburgh
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 06:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Posted this in another thread, but I figured it'd be fun to see what results other people are getting...that way we can see what the most common result is.

Here's the link: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

For anyone who doesn't know, this is a calculator where you predict the result of each game for the remainder of the season, and it shows you what the playoffs would look like if your scenario plays out.

My results:

Top Seeds in AFC:

KC
New England

Wildcard games: Cincy at Houston - LA Chargers at Pittsburgh
Not that our recent track record against Houston is any good, but, all things considered, that might be about the best possible outcome.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Top Seeds:

#1KC - #2NE

Wildcards:
#6 Houston @ #3 Bengals
#5 Chargers @ #4 Jaguars

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just because I hate the Squats and Rats I picked us to win every game here on out and them to lose every game here on out which of course is as unbiased as possible so we'll be 2nd seed behind KC, the WCs Houston v NE and LAC v Tennessee..
Of course good (us) will triumph over evil (them) leading to the 70 foot statue of Mikey and Marv on Fountain Square immediately after I'm hauled off to the booby hatch shocking everyone from Cincinnati to Columbia.. 
You would be shocked if I were to be hauled off to the booby hatch. .right? RIGHT?  RIGHT?
No? Well I for one am shocked. SHOCKED I SAY!  ummm...SHOCKED.  Yeah, that's the ticket, shocked..

Perhaps I should pick the teams I actually think will win, but what's the fun in that? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I didn't realize how brutal the Steelers schedule gets.
Chargers, Patriots, and Saints.
Jaguars can still put up a good fight.

But I had the Bengals squeezing in the #6 spot against the Colts
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I actually tried to be as unbiased as possible. I have us winning the games we should win and losing the games we should lose.

AFC
1. Chargers
2. New England
3. Houston
4. Pittsburgh
5. Chiefs
6. Bengals

I think I had the chargers winning out which wouldn’t surprise me, and that pushes the chiefs down to a wildcard which is crazy.

NFC
1. New Orleans
2. Rams
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. Carolina
6. Seattle

I did really quick preds and just gut reactioned who would win
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 07:34 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I didn't realize how brutal the Steelers schedule gets.

The roughest part of our schedule is gone. We have a few tough matchups left, but they are getting theirs at the ass end of the season.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 07:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The roughest part of our schedule is gone. We have a few tough matchups left, but they are getting theirs at the ass end of the season.

It looks like it. Although I expected at least one loss in their last two games (Ravens and Panthers).

They won both...
Reply/Quote
If we win in Pittsburgh, we host the Chargers.

Lose in Pittsburgh, we go to New England or Houston. That location is based on the winner of New England at Pittsburgh in week 15.
Reply/Quote
If we win today:

1. Kansas City (14-2)
2. New England (13-3)
3. Pittsburgh (10-5-1)
4. Tennessee (9-7)
5. Los Angeles (13-3)
6. Cincinnati (10-6)

This looks like a crash course to a 3rd matchup with Pittsburgh and I predict heartbreak.

If we lose today:

1. Kansas City (14-2)
2. New England (13-3)
3. Pittsburgh (10-5-1)
4. Tennessee (9-7)
5. Los Angeles (13-3)
6. Houston (9-7)

If there are any games we simply cannot lose, they are: Denver, Oakland, cleveland, @cleveland.

Today is huge. Seems like it is a swing game of sorts. If we lose today, not only is there no room for error against the teams we “should beat” but we then HAVE to steal a game from either Los Angeles or Pittsburgh, which at the moment I just don’t see happening. If we lose today, stick a fork in us.

Disclaimer: I gave us both games against Cleveland, going with benefit of the doubt. But my true gut feeling is we split with them this season.

Unless something drastically changes, we get healthy, or both, I honestly believe playoffs are a long shot.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 07:34 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I didn't realize how brutal the Steelers schedule gets.

I have been saying that for 3 weeks now.  I said they can beat the Ravens and have a shot at beating the Panthers, but their schedule only gets tougher and with a lot of traveling.

Good teams run the table.  I don't think this years Steelers is a good team.  They drop 1, 2 or all three of the next 3.

We get the Ravens, and 2 home games against the Browns and Broncos.  Which should be 3 wins.  Even if the Steelers do win all 3 of the upcoming games, we would only be behind them by 1 1/2 games.  With them having to play the Patriots and Saints and us having to play the Raiders and Chargers.  We then have to face off against them in Pittsburgh, which could decide the division.
Reply/Quote
Ok, I'll go ahead and admit that I couldn't come to an unbiased result. I started that thing over, 3 or 4 times, and still kept picking games based on how I wanted them to go, rather than just being impartial. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, I'll go ahead and admit that I couldn't come to an unbiased result.  I started that thing over, 3 or 4 times, and still kept picking games based on how I wanted them to go, rather than just being impartial.  Mellow

I tried to pick as few games as possible.

I used the pick by Win%, then eliminated ties to whomever I did think would win, and changed two results of other games that I felt was a match up that would lead to an upset.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 11:35 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I tried to pick as few games as possible.

I used the pick by Win%, then eliminated ties to whomever I did think would win, and changed two results of other games that I felt was a match up that would lead to an upset.

NFL games are tough to predict, sometimes.  Heck, a couple weeks ago, I would have just about bet the bank that the Rams were going to go into New Orleans and win by at least two TDs.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I got us playing at the Patriots in the Wildcard game. I see us winning that.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 12:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I got us playing at the Patriots in the Wildcard game. I see us winning that.

I know Brady is starting to show his age a bit, but you really think so? The Pats are still 5-0 at home this year.

It would be something if our first playoff win in 28 years came in Gillette, sending Brady to retirement.

-----

Btw, one thing was clear when running this playoff machine. We still have the inside track to that last playoff spot.

If we show any life in these last 7 games, we should get it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
So with today's results in the machine and running it solely on Win%, we still get the 6 seed and go to Pittsburgh in the first round...
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So with today's results in the machine and running it solely on Win%, we still get the 6 seed and go to Pittsburgh in the first round...

[Image: image.png]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So with today's results in the machine and running it solely on Win%, we still get the 6 seed and go to Pittsburgh in the first round...

Hate to say it but I would rather miss the playoffs than be embarrassed by Pitt wildcard weekend again. This team has no business being in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:18 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Hate to say it but I would rather miss the playoffs than be embarrassed by Pitt wildcard weekend again. This team has no business being in the playoffs.

Same thing was said about the Eagles last season.

I'd rather get in the dance and see if we can make something happen over not being in and knowing the season is over.
Reply/Quote