Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN projections. Good news. Bad News.
Good news first. 14 of 16 Bengal games will be against teams ranked 13th or lower (non-playoff level). The only 2 in the top 13 are the #3 Rams and #4 Pats. Here are the rest of the Bengals 2019 opponents.

#14 Seahawks
#15 Browns x2
#16 Steelers x2
#17 Ravens x2
#18 Jags
#21 Niners
#23 Raiders
#26 Jets
#27 Bills
#31 Cards
#32 Dolphins

Now the bad news. Bengals are ranked 29th and projected to win just six games.

So I guess the BEST news is that these pre-season projections are not worth a lot. In 2010 we were projected to be a championship contender coming off of a Division Championship season and adding 2 big weapons to the offense (TO and Gresham), but we crashed to a 4-12 season. IN 2011 we were projected to be one of the worst teams in the entire league, yet we made the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
On Good Morning Football, the lady on there said the Bengals would not be on the bottom of the AFCN.
some guy on their said that the Browns will be playing in the AFC Championship game.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
6 is the Vegas line. I like the over, but should have taken it pre-draft when it was -120. Now -130, which I guess is trending in the right direction for us fans.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 01:41 PM)shanebo Wrote: 6 is the Vegas line.  I like the over, but should have taken it pre-draft when it was -120.  Now -130, which I guess is trending in the right direction for us fans.

heck we got 6 with with half our starters on IR
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 01:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: heck we got 6 with with half our starters on IR

And we have not lost a single significant player.

Burfict was a big "name" but he did not really play that well last year.  Kroft was a good TE, but nothing special.  Meanwhile there were lots of really good players that teams lost to free agency.

It appears that Vegas is not impressed with our new coach and/or his staff.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 01:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good news first. 14 of 16 Bengal games will be against teams ranked 13th or lower (non-playoff level). The only 2 in the top 13 are the #3 Rams and #4 Pats. Here are the rest of the Bengals 2019 opponents.

#14 Seahawks
#15 Browns x2
#16 Steelers x2
#17 Ravens x2
#18 Jags
#21 Niners
#23 Raiders
#26 Jets
#27 Bills
#31 Cards
#32 Dolphins

Now the bad news. Bengals are ranked 29th and projected to win just six games.

So I guess the BEST news is that these pre-season projections are not worth a lot. In 2010 we were projected to be a championship contender coming off of a Division Championship season and adding 2 big weapons to the offense (TO and Gresham), but we crashed to a 4-12 season. IN 2011 we were projected to be one of the worst teams in the entire league, yet we made the playoffs.

They were always projecting the Bengals to win 6 or so games from 2012 onward too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I honestly have no clue what to expect from this team. The skill positions on offense have talent. The defensive line and secondary have talent. The LB Group and Offensive Line are sketchy.

We have the Rams QB Coach for 1 year as our Offensive Coordinator AND Head Coach. That's a big unknown how he'll handle that role. A lot of our coaches are stepping into positions that they've never been in.

It could work out in an innovative scheme. There's also some chance that it blows up I suppose.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I honestly have no clue what to expect from this team. The skill positions on offense have talent. The defensive line and secondary have talent. The LB Group and Offensive Line are sketchy.

We have the Rams QB Coach for 1 year as our Offensive Coordinator AND Head Coach. That's a big unknown how he'll handle that role. A lot of our coaches are stepping into positions that they've never been in.

It could work out in an innovative scheme. There's also some chance that it blows up I suppose.

I've found when we have no idea how the team is going to perform, they iwll perform poorly.

I think they also perform (at least ML years) poorly under pressure. Meaning if they are expected to perform.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 01:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good news first.  14 of 16 Bengal games will be against teams ranked 13th or lower (non-playoff level).  The only 2 in the top 13 are the #3 Rams and #4 Pats.  Here are the rest of the Bengals 2019 opponents.

#14 Seahawks
#15 Browns x2
#16 Steelers x2
#17 Ravens x2
#18 Jags
#21 Niners
#23 Raiders
#26 Jets
#27 Bills
#31 Cards
#32 Dolphins

Now the bad news.  Bengals are ranked 29th and projected to win just six games.

So I guess the BEST news is that these pre-season projections are not worth a lot.  In 2010 we were projected to be a championship contender coming off of a Division Championship season and adding 2 big weapons to the offense (TO and Gresham), but we crashed to a 4-12 season.  IN 2011 we were projected to be one of the worst teams in the entire league, yet we made the playoffs.

I used to think our defense was our strength. I now think they a liability, a major liability. Our offense will have to have an awesome year to stay in games. So, unless we add a strong vet LB, I think our defense again will be in 28 to 32 range.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 01:36 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: On Good Morning Football, the lady on there said the Bengals would not be on the bottom of the AFCN.
some guy on their said that the Browns will be playing in the AFC Championship game.

How DARE you not name the wonderful Kay Adams?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

[Image: b4g8584rng401.jpg]

[Image: kay-adams-5-1022x475.jpg]

(05-08-2019, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I honestly have no clue what to expect from this team. The skill positions on offense have talent. The defensive line and secondary have talent. The LB Group and Offensive Line are sketchy.

He's not our OC; Brian Callahan is.

I know, ZT is calling plays, buut...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 03:08 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I've found when we have no idea how the team is going to perform, they iwll perform poorly.

I think they also perform (at least ML years) poorly under pressure. Meaning if they are expected to perform.

I was going to state that when expectations are low, generally the team overachieves. When they are high, they underperform.

Who knows though? A new staff kind of presses the reset button on that.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 03:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I used to think our defense was our strength. I now think they a liability, a major liability. Our offense will have to have an awesome year to stay in games. So, unless we add a strong vet LB, I think our defense again will be in 28 to 32 range.

I tend to agree with your sentiment. The line is above average as is the secondary. Our LB group is pretty below average and 1 injury away from bad again.

That said, maybe a veteran will get cut that they bring in.

They'll probably sign someone like Emmanuel Lamur.
Reply/Quote
...because ESPN did so well last May: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23591971/2018-nfl-season-stat-record-playoffs-predictions-football-power-index-projections
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 04:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I tend to agree with your sentiment. The line is above average as is the secondary. Our LB group is pretty below average and 1 injury away from bad again.

That said, maybe a veteran will get cut that they bring in.

They'll probably sign someone like Emmanuel Lamur.

There are 4 fairly young linebackers that were all taken in the 3rd round of drafts.

Preston Brown - age 26

Nick Vigil - age 25

Malik Jefferson - age 22

Germaine Pratt - age 21

While the Bengals could sure use a Devin White or Devin Bush or a solid veteran; the New Coaching Staff does have these 4 fairly young guys each drafted in round 3 to work with plus the other LB's on the roster.

It would be great if the New Coaches could tap into what they do have on the roster and develop these young guys into their system effectively.

The Coaches & the young guys will likely have to step up and perform for 2019 to go well.
Reply/Quote
I mean, this isn't close to the best Bengal team we've had in the past few years, but how good were the Bengals last year before all the injuries? Too many people are sleeping on Cincy. 6 wins? GTFO. I'd say the over under would be more accurate at 8 to 9.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 03:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I used to think our defense was our strength. I now think they a liability, a major liability. Our offense will have to have an awesome year to stay in games. So, unless we add a strong vet LB, I think our defense again will be in 28 to 32 range.

I believe our defense will basically decide how this season goes.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 09:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe our defense will basically decide how this season goes.

If the defense can improve just a bit, I think the new direction from the Offense will have us in a lot of games. It should be an exciting year really. Cardiac Cats type of season!
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 09:34 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If the defense can improve just a bit, I think the new direction from the Offense will have us in a lot of games. It should be an exciting year really. Cardiac Cats type of season!

I think they can, or at least I'm willing to believe they can - it's not like they've been that bad for multiple seasons or anything. 

Besides that, it's not like the schedule is full of offensive powerhouses... no more KC, LAC, or NO level games outside of the game against the Patriots.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 08:39 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I mean, this isn't close to the best Bengal team we've had in the past few years, but how good were the Bengals last year before all the injuries?  Too many people are sleeping on Cincy.  6 wins? GTFO.  I'd say the over under would be more accurate at 8 to 9.

My best guess is they see we had the worst defense last year and we moved from a defensive-minded HC to an offensive-minded one and then took a long time to find a DC and both our HC and DC could very well have growing pains since they are being thrown into the fire like a Cleveland Browns QB.

6 wins seems unfathomable, because we had that good start and then had a lot of injuries...so I get the skepticism.  Still, we had Dalton and Green for a disappointing 2017 season, so I can see why people aren't going to automatically say that Dalton and Green plus and HC who isn't Marvin automatically means 8+ wins.

Then again, we were what...1-5 in the division last year?  So it's not really like the idea that the rest of the AFC North improved can be credited with them predicting 6 wins.  Meh.  In short, I can see why people aren't high on the Bengals but yea, 6 wins seems a little severe.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I think with our schedule we end up 8-8. We've got a decent offense and an easy schedule. Our defense isn't great and will likely cost us a couple games.
Reply/Quote