ESPN ranks: Projecting next three season
100: A+ (Elite)

90: A (Great)

80: B (Very good)

70: C (Average)

60: D (Very bad)

50: F (Disastrous)

40: F- (The worst thing imaginable)

After averaging the results from the panelists, each of the five categories was weighted to create the overall score -- roster (30 percent), quarterback (20 percent), draft (15 percent), front office (15 percent) and coaching (20 percent). The result is a comprehensive ranking based on how well each team is positioned for the future.

Roster, 75.0, 19th
QB, 68.3, 29th
Coaching, 68.0, 30th
Draft, 76.7, 17th
Front Office, 71.0, 27th

What do you think?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Here's the link
Reply/Quote
Sooo, are they saying Dalton is the 29th best QB, or our overall QB situation (starter + backups) is 29th?

Cause AD at 29 is a pretty big tea bagging.

Given the coaching turnover, kind of hard to judge that one. I don't rate Merv high, but I can't really fault the new guys. They could be outstanding. Other than that, I thought our draft was a B, and I've nudge our roster higher. Maybe a B, too.
Reply/Quote
Our front office is ranked higher than our QB?

I call BS.
Reply/Quote
Espn being espn..
Reply/Quote
Only real issue I have with that is QB being 29th compared to other QB situations. Granted we probably will have the worst backups in the league, but as long as Dalton is healthy then no way their score should be that low.

Other than that, can't really argue about the rest of their opinions, because nothing is glaringly off about those.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
ESPN hates Dalton because he is a nice guy and they cannot stand Cincinnati.

He gets tagged because of last year but I do not know any QB who has ever played who would have had a great year with the o line and strategy followed in first 14 games.

It would be interesting to know what the players think of Dalton. My bet is they view him much more positively than the ESPN pundits.

It is total BS to rate the front office higher than Dalton.
Reply/Quote
Until the Bengals start winning the big games they will get no respect and I can accept that. They need to man up for once...
Reply/Quote
Yeah,  the only people more down on our team than our own fans is ESPN, which says a lot to my mind.

We are frustrated with this team in all areas, but I don't think even the front office is that bad.  I would say there are more than 5 teams that screwed up their rosters, their cap, the draft and fielding a product worse than our front office has.

Glaring weakness?  Duh!  But I would submit that most of that is on Mr. Brown himself, and he has grown out of a lot of his most egregious weaknesses.

Guarantee you that the rest of the league ranks Marvin a lot higher than the 30th head coach, and There are a lot more than 3 teams that would be happy to have Dalton instead of their QB.

Sure our coaching staff is going to have a lot to prove.  But I think they'll rise to the occasion.

You can say that 3 men were about 80% responsible for the dumpster fire we've had here the last two years:  Brown, Alexander and Zampeze.

And as bad as the track record has been about how to treat your players, most of those policies have been remedied - largely because of our 30th ranked head coach.

I cut a greasy one in the direction of ESPN.  I hope they choke both on that and a dramatic turnaround this season.
Reply/Quote
Using the same rankings for ESPN as a company, source, entertainment network:

33% or F- or worse thing imaginable.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2018, 02:52 PM)Benton Wrote: Sooo, are they saying Dalton is the 29th best QB, or our overall QB situation (starter + backups) is 29th?

Cause AD at 29 is a pretty big tea bagging.

Given the coaching turnover, kind of hard to judge that one. I don't rate Merv high, but I can't really fault the new guys. They could be outstanding. Other than that, I thought our draft was a B, and I've nudge our roster higher. Maybe a B, too.

Yes sir, 29th by year 2020, which makes slightly more sense when comparing it to their other rankings... I do put FO right around there so that explains why they also think coaching will fall off. Pretty flawed article but thought it would spark a discussion in the slow offseason
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2018, 03:46 PM)GodFather Wrote: Until the Bengals start winning the big games they will get no respect and I can accept that. They need to man up for once...

I mean, they have respect around the league now, it’s more or less teams don’t necessarily fear them IMO
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2018, 03:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our front office is ranked higher than our QB?

I call BS.

My thoughts exactly.

Hold on..... NFL fans still watch ESPN....?

ESPN is the Disney channel of sports..... I watched up until the age of 10.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2018, 05:54 PM)Gohards Wrote: ESPN is the Disney channel of sports..... I watched up until the age of 10.

In my opinion "30 for 30" series is the best sports programming on television.  Some are better than others but overall they are very well made.

Some things on ESPN are unwatchable (stuff like "First Take") but all networks have some big mouths who just want to stir the pot.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2018, 03:19 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Other than that, can't really argue about the rest of their opinions, because nothing is glaringly off about those.

Marvin is middle of the pack in career winning percentage and there are a few other head coaches that have never won a playoff game.

Don't see how he could be ranked 30th.
Reply/Quote
I'm keeping an open mind until play starts. I'm curious to see how the pluses that happened stack up against the minuses that didn't happen. Heh, the same could be said for ESPN.
Reply/Quote
Trying to project three years in the NFL is yer basic silly waste of time. Things can drastically in one year. Three years is an eternity.

Musta just been this guy's turn to take a pot shot at Andy Dalton.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
ESpn sadly has become the biggest joke in all of sports media. I cant stomach that channel for 30 second unless my team is on and then its muted and thats the only way. I would guess that 90% of the ppl on this board would do a WAY better job at reporting sports than anyone the joke of a network has on it these days.

EsPNs ranking compared to my old JR High journalism club = 1%
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2018, 03:46 PM)GodFather Wrote: Until the Bengals start winning the big games they will get no respect and I can accept that. They need to man up for once...

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that they tend to play like junk when ever they are on national tv or the focus is on them.  If I was ESPN I'd also rank them low.  This team needs to prove itself on the field before we give them any real credit.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2018, 03:40 PM)bengals67 Wrote: ESPN hates Dalton because he is a nice guy and they cannot stand Cincinnati.

He gets tagged because of last year but I do not know any QB who has ever played who would have had a great year with the o line and strategy followed in first 14 games.

It would be interesting to know what the players think of Dalton. My bet is they view him much more positively than the ESPN pundits.

It is total BS to rate the front office higher than Dalton.

That’s not the reason. Both AJ and Geno are very well respected and they are every bit as “nice” as Dalton (minus AJ’s one blowup lol). Dalton gets no respect because the majority of games people outside of Cincy watch him in are prime time and playoffs, where he’s been mostly bad.

Reply/Quote