Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN ranks positions
(08-21-2022, 02:56 AM)J24 Wrote: Also interesting that  they rated the Steelers with the worst Oline, Ravens with the worst WRs, and the Browns with the worst DT.

It seems that  the Bengals are the only one without a fatal flaw.

Maybe our TE's.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 04:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: LAC were the ones I was most hesitant to put on that list, so I see where you're coming from. Ekeler does offer a lot as a receiver out of the backfield. I guess I am evaluating them as running backs that take carries rather than as an all around weapon. Mixon, as a runner and as a bell cow back, is superior to Ekeler in my opinion. If we replaced Mixon with Ekeler in the Bengals offense, I don't think it would make the offense better. Ekeler is good because he's a high volume target in the passing game. Last year, he had 94 targets whereas Mixon only had 48. Given our wide receivers, I don't know if taking almost 50 touches away from them and giving them to our running back would be a net gain. After all, Ekeler only averaged 6.9 yards per target, which isn't that much higher than Mixon's 6.5 yards per target. 

For a comparison, Chase, Higgins and Boyd gained 11.4 yards, 9.9 yards and 8.8 yards per each of their respective targets. Even Uzomah averaged 7.8 yards per target.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that, if the offense were designed for it, Mixon could get just as many targets as Ekeler and would produce on nearly the same level while also being a better runner.

With all that said, having a reliable safety valve is really good so Ekeler vs Mixon is close.

KillerGoose I’d expect is viewing the comparison from the past. I’m not so sure that he’s not right yet in Feb 2023 I bet he’s the first to admit he was wrong. Mixon I think will have a huge year
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with others that LB and Corner should be higher. I wouldn't take many Corners over Chido right now and I
definitely wouldn't take any, not 1 single Slot Corner over Mike Hilton. Apple is getting more consistent and has
always been extremely talented. The additions of Dax Hill who can play Corner and CTB make this one of the best
Corner rooms in the NFL in my opinion.

LB with Logan Wilson, Germaine Pratt, ADG, Bachie, Bailey and Clay Johnston is pretty frickin' good all the while
having Betcher as their coach. Think both Logan and ADG are going to blow up the league this year and become
one of the top duos in the NFL. We play a lot of 5-2 fronts.

I bet they included Hill in the safety group, which vaulted us up to #2. Bell and Bates is a really good starting duo, but I wouldn't say they're better than Byard + Hooker of the Titans. But having that first round safety gave us the depth needed to jump both them and Baltimore, who also have a really good starting set with Williams +Clark/Hamilton with that 3rd player for depth.

So they probably didn't count Dax as a CB. If they did, we definitely should be higher at CB. I am waiting for CTB to play a snap before I consider him an asset to the group but he has promise as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 04:30 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Maybe our TE's.

Hayden Hurst I think could change that. Hearing major praise from Zac about Hurst in the Red Zone.

This is exactly where we needed to improve the most on Offense too. Have to score TD's when we get in the RZ.

Will be watching Scotty Washington tonight. Hope he can contribute. 

Both Drew Sample and Mitchell Wilcox are hurt right now.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 04:33 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I bet they included Hill in the safety group, which vaulted us up to #2. Bell and Bates is a really good starting duo, but I wouldn't say they're better than Byard + Hooker of the Titans. But having that first round safety gave us the depth needed to jump both them and Baltimore, who also have a really good starting set with Williams +Clark/Hamilton with that 3rd player for depth.

So they probably didn't count Dax as a CB. If they did, we definitely should be higher at CB. I am waiting for CTB to play a snap before I consider him an asset to the group but he has promise as well.

Probably correct CJD, then it makes sense. Honestly these rankings make a lot more sense than I expect from espn.
Reply/Quote
They're not to bad of ratings. Like many others have said LBer and CB may be a bit low. QB as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 04:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: LAC were the ones I was most hesitant to put on that list, so I see where you're coming from. Ekeler does offer a lot as a receiver out of the backfield. I guess I am evaluating them as running backs that take carries rather than as an all around weapon. Mixon, as a runner and as a bell cow back, is superior to Ekeler in my opinion. If we replaced Mixon with Ekeler in the Bengals offense, I don't think it would make the offense better. Ekeler is good because he's a high volume target in the passing game. Last year, he had 94 targets whereas Mixon only had 48. Given our wide receivers, I don't know if taking almost 50 touches away from them and giving them to our running back would be a net gain. After all, Ekeler only averaged 6.9 yards per target, which isn't that much higher than Mixon's 6.5 yards per target. 

For a comparison, Chase, Higgins and Boyd gained 11.4 yards, 9.9 yards and 8.8 yards per each of their respective targets. Even Uzomah averaged 7.8 yards per target.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that, if the offense were designed for it, Mixon could get just as many targets as Ekeler and would produce on nearly the same level while also being a better runner.

With all that said, having a reliable safety valve is really good so Ekeler vs Mixon is close.

Completely agree, they are different types of RB's. But I think Mixon has the edge because he can be a bruiser and a pass
catcher more so than Ekeler who is a really good pass catcher in the Chargers system. We run a completely different Offense
that doesn't feature the RB near as much in the passing game even if I wish we would more.

Evans I think might have a breakout year if he gets enough touches and is used like Ekeler.
Reply/Quote
I see kickers and punters weren’t rated — but I would think Evan McPherson would be rated VERY high.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 05:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I see kickers and punters weren’t rated — but I would think Evan McPherson would be rated VERY high.

Right under Justin Tucker would be my vote after what he did as a rookie and what he is still doing...

Evan McPherson is just getting better with his leg and accuracy and he has insane confidence.

2nd best Kicker in the NFL after only his rookie season behind the greatest Kicker of all time...

Shocked
Reply/Quote
The Vegas Insiders and some national media despite the Super Bowl run still don’t know this team. They’ve cleared the hurdle of what it takes to win and gain confidence. They don’t realize how valuable it is in the continuity of the staff and coordinators. They don’t realize the benefit of the continuity of Burrow and his receivers. They don’t realize the continuity of returning the entire stating defense. Sometimes they just look at stats and then don’t believe them either. I mean the ESPN model has us the #4 team. They also don’t realize that a very inexperienced head coach now has 3 seasons under his belt.

There’s some money to be made in Vegas off the Bengals
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 11:34 PM)J24 Wrote: https://es.pn/3candyI
https://es.pn/3c8WK4v

Bengals ratings
QB- 7th
RB- 14th
WR 1st
OL-12th
TE- 22nd
DT-10th
DE-11th
LB-20th
CB-16th
S-2nd
4th Overall

OL is a bit generous given they (and we) haven't seen this starting OL play together yet at all.
Hopefully it ends up being the case, as this team could be top-tier if they have even a Top 10 OL.

TE seems a bit low, but probably not higher than 15th, IMO.

LB I can understand because while Wilson and Pratt have made some good plays, there was inconsistent play from them last year.

The Bengals have clearly built their team to be a passing team and emphasized the DL and DBs for the defense, so generally the rankings make sense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote