Anyone who works with Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless
8.70%
2 8.70%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN's Arthur Ashe Courage Award and the dropped ball
(07-17-2015, 08:38 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Lauryn Hill would DEFINITELY have been a better choice, in my opinion.  I'm not butthurt about Caitlyn Jenner getting it though, like a lot of folks are.  Lauryn Hill would have been my preference though.  All bullshit aside, Jenner's speech was great.

I can get behind this post. I too would have probably given it to her. Facing a death sentence with poise is courageous. Caitlyn is courageous too, but she only faces the fear of a possible death or discrimination.

But who cares? It's as relevant as the BET awards or the MTV movie awards and she gave an incredible speech in which she called for awareness of those who face violence, poverty, and discrimination.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-17-2015, 10:36 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I can get behind this post. I too would have probably given it to her. Facing a death sentence with poise is courageous. Caitlyn is courageous too, but she only faces the fear of a possible death or discrimination.

But who cares? It's as relevant as the BET awards or the MTV movie awards and she gave an incredible speech in which she called for awareness of those who face violence, poverty, and discrimination.

The only facing of death with Jenner are the other drivers on the road when she's avoiding getting her picture taken.
Wouldn't want to spoil the big reveal 
(07-17-2015, 09:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why does anyone care what some sports network gives out, anyway? Sports already have awards shows, they're called championship games/series. The whole awards thing is stupid, IMO, and anyone getting into a tizzy about anything they do is stupid, IMO. The whole thing is ESPN's attempt to get in on the self-congratulatory atmosphere that we get with overpaid entertainers, both on the field and behind the desks, even more than they are. Each award is likely created from dried ejaculatory fluids created while watching videos of themselves. It's pointless.

I agree with this. The espy thing is ridiculous.

Just show highlights and strongman competitions.

Espn has become MTV. Gotten away from their roots.
(07-17-2015, 07:44 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: As you have demonstrated for us in the past and in this thread, people are still openly hostile towards and discriminatory against trans people. Coming out is a huge deal, especially when you're this famous.

1. She' a former athlete, though it has been given out to people who were not athletes in the past.

2. at least the 17 million who watched her interview with Diane Sawyer.

Openly hostile? Who is hostile? Your dreaming that.... I have seen no one here being hostile towards transexuals. I have seen good honest debate, with zero Ill will.

And 17 million people watched for the same reason people stare at a car crash or at a 700 lb person. They love the freak show. And seeing a famous man have all those surgeries to his upper body just so he can dress up as a woman.

He was a kardashian all he is about is nonsense and doing anything to market himself.
So Bruce Jenner sold his story to espn/abc for an espy. At least we know what kind of dude this guys is..... Very kardashian of him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3163299/Caitlyn-Jenner-s-reps-demanded-ESPYs-award-exchange-PR-plugs-Diane-Sawyer-interview.html

Quote:Representatives of Caitlyn Jenner reportedly negotiated her ESPYs award in exchange for PR plugs in her upcoming TV series and threatened to pull out of her 20/20 interview.

Reports have emerged that Jenner’s team approached ESPN with the idea that she win the Arthur Ashe Courage Award just as details were being finalized for her 20/20 interview with Diane Sawyer on ABC.

ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney, and ABC aired Wednesday's awards ceremony.

‘It was a brilliant move because the executives at ESPN loved the idea, and immediately began making sure it got done,’ a source familiar with the negotiations told RadarOnline.

The talks hit a stumbling block, and Jenner’s agents were reportedly prepared to pull out of the interview with Sawyer.

‘It was ironed out, and ABC owns one of the biggest stories of the year.’

The build up to Jenner accepting the award will be featured in her upcoming reality show, “I am Cait”, generating a great deal of publicity for both ESPN and the awards.

However, there is some dispute as to the timeline of the negotiations.

The Sawyer interview took place in April, and ESPYs producer Maura Mandt has told Sports Illustrated that the final decision was not reached until May after consultation with the Ashe Foundation.

ESPN has come under fire on social media for choosing Jenner for the prestigious award, with some claiming there are more worthy recipients.

One name that surfaced was the late Lauren Hill, the former Division III women's college basketball player. She raised $1.5 million for cancer research before succumbing to the disease.

Hill will be honored at Wednesday’s ceremony, and her family have said that they had nothing to do with the criticism of ESPN selecting Jenner.

(07-17-2015, 09:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So Bruce Jenner sold his story to espn/abc for an espy.   At least we know what kind of dude this guys is.....   Very kardashian of him.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3163299/Caitlyn-Jenner-s-reps-demanded-ESPYs-award-exchange-PR-plugs-Diane-Sawyer-interview.html

That was already posted and it was pointed out that the source was an unnamed source talking with a tabloid website...

Take that at whatever value you want

(07-17-2015, 09:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Openly hostile? Who is hostile? Your dreaming that....     

Quote:transexuals.

Quote: They love the freak show.

Quote:just so he can dress up as a woman. 

Quote:He

Quote: all he is about is nonsense

Quote:doing anything to market himself.

(07-17-2015, 09:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So Bruce Jenner sold his story

Quote:At least we know what kind of dude this guys is.

Quote:Very kardashian of him. 

You told me transexuals was the nice name. Has it changed again? Am I supposed to call him something else?
(07-18-2015, 12:14 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You told me transexuals was the nice name.   Has it changed again? Am I supposed to call him something else?

I've defined transsexual and transgender for you multiple times.

(07-18-2015, 09:50 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I've defined transsexual and transgender for you multiple times.

And it was on the list of acceptable words. Why is it no longer on the list?

Have to know the right. Thing to call these dudes
Caitlyn is what happens to a man when he hangs around the Kardashians for too long.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

(07-18-2015, 11:39 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Caitlyn is what happens to a man when he hangs around the Kardashians for too long.

If you stuck your thingie in one of those women, I'd doubt you'd want to keep it either.
Kanye is next.
Ninja
(07-18-2015, 10:04 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And it was on the list of acceptable words.   Why is it no longer on the list?  

Have to know the right. Thing to call these dudes

Transsexual is someone who has changed their sex. Transgender is someone who has only changed their gender.

It is better than calling them "*****", as you have in the past, but it would be incorrect to refer to a transgender person as transsexual, just as it would be incorrect to call them gay.

Also, you can also not refer to her as "dude", "guy", and "he". Or "freak show" and "mentally ill".

(07-18-2015, 12:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Transsexual is someone who has changed their sex. Transgender is someone who has only changed their gender.

It is better than calling them "*****", as you have in the past, but it would be incorrect to refer to a transgender person as transsexual, just as it would be incorrect to call them gay.

Also, you can also not refer to her as "dude", "guy", and "he". Or "freak show" and "mentally ill".

So to change your sex you have to get the chop. Which would make them just a woman at that point. So I don't see the need for transexual.

I am about over the whole dictionary of terms for all this stuff.

Biology tells me its a he ... As long as "she" has her hog swinging then its a he.
Obstinate behavior under the guise of confusion is such a wonderful thing. I never understood why people take such an umbrage with referring to people in the manner they prefer. Seems like the polite and respectful thing to do. If you have a problem with pronouns or what they identify as, then maybe just the name they ask to go by. In all seriousness, what does it do to you to honor their requests? What harm is it?

Taking such an obstinate approach just shows disdain, spite, hate, whatever you want to call it. Some say fear, hence the phrase transphobia to describe these sorts of actions. It may be at the heart of it all, no idea. Much like how they talk about bullies having some sort of insecurity about themselves, that is what we see with this sort of behavior. Make no mistake, it is a form of bullying. It's is childish, it is rude, it is disrespectful, and it is unkind. You don't have to agree with someone's lifestyle to be kind and respectful to them, and I get that we aren't kind and respectful around these parts to each other, but feigning some sort of innocence while acting in that manner is ridiculous.
(07-18-2015, 01:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So to change your sex you have to get the chop.   Which would make them just a woman at that point.   So I don't see the need for transexual.    

I am about over the whole dictionary of terms for all this stuff.    

Biology tells me its a he ... As long as "she" has her hog swinging then its a he.

Pronouns are associated with gender. So if she is a she, then it's "she".

You can say whatever you want, I'm just explaining how you can't act like you're not openly hostile towards these people when you do this.

(07-18-2015, 03:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Obstinate behavior under the guise of confusion is such a wonderful thing. I never understood why people take such an umbrage with referring to people in the manner they prefer. Seems like the polite and respectful thing to do. If you have a problem with pronouns or what they identify as, then maybe just the name they ask to go by. In all seriousness, what does it do to you to honor their requests? What harm is it?

Taking such an obstinate approach just shows disdain, spite, hate, whatever you want to call it. Some say fear, hence the phrase transphobia to describe these sorts of actions. It may be at the heart of it all, no idea. Much like how they talk about bullies having some sort of insecurity about themselves, that is what we see with this sort of behavior. Make no mistake, it is a form of bullying. It's is childish, it is rude, it is disrespectful, and it is unkind. You don't have to agree with someone's lifestyle to be kind and respectful to them, and I get that we aren't kind and respectful around these parts to each other, but feigning some sort of innocence while acting in that manner is ridiculous.

Knocking people down a few pegs who put themselves on a pedastal is quite normal. And healthy in a group dynamic. No one is above anyone else even the alpha .... This is done in any group.

And this really isn't about them because I don't think they want anything other than to fit in and just roll with the punches. It's about this culture of putting these types up above everyone else. They have done nothing except fight through their own personal demons. Every person goes through this .... Why are they championed over anyone else?

The only problem I have ever had is the ever changing vocab list. That annoys me the most. Not their lifestlye.
(07-18-2015, 03:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Knocking people down a few pegs who put themselves on a pedastal is quite normal. And healthy in a group dynamic. No one is above anyone else even the alpha .... This is done in any group.

Quite normal and healthy? Interesting take on bullying behavior. Bullying behavior is an effort to place oneself above another, so I would say your explanation is flawed. It's also a great attempt at trying to justify behavior that is so against the teachings of Jesus.

(07-18-2015, 03:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And this really isn't about them because I don't think they want anything other than to fit in and just roll with the punches. It's about this culture of putting these types up above everyone else. They have done nothing except fight through their own personal demons. Every person goes through this .... Why are they championed over anyone else?

That's not at all what I am discussing, however. I am discussing the disregard for your fellow man that is exhibited by the behavior you are engaging in. If you would like to make an argument about how the award was misplaced and all that, fine, I can get your argument. But your obstinate behavior with regards to the language used is what I was discussing, and has nothing to do with the above portion since you act in such a manner any time there is a story about a member of the trans community.

(07-18-2015, 03:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The only problem I have ever had is the ever changing vocab list. That annoys me the most. Not their lifestlye.

Then use their preferred name and/or pronouns. It's that simple. If you want to refer to the label use trans. It's been said to you and everyone before that it is a general, polite, and most accepted term used. That was stated back when it was explained the difference between transsexual and transgendered and is easy to remember and very broad. But I also suspect you are full of it with this portion of your post given your history on this topic.
(07-18-2015, 03:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Quite normal and healthy? Interesting take on bullying behavior. Bullying behavior is an effort to place oneself above another, so I would say your explanation is flawed. It's also a great attempt at trying to justify behavior that is so against the teachings of Jesus.

That's not at all what I am discussing, however. I am discussing the disregard for your fellow man that is exhibited by the behavior you are engaging in. If you would like to make an argument about how the award was misplaced and all that, fine, I can get your argument. But your obstinate behavior with regards to the language used is what I was discussing, and has nothing to do with the above portion since you act in such a manner any time there is a story about a member of the trans community.

Then use their preferred name and/or pronouns. It's that simple. If you want to refer to the label use trans. It's been said to you and everyone before that it is a general, polite, and most accepted term used. That was stated back when it was explained the difference between transsexual and transgendered and is easy to remember and very broad. But I also suspect you are full of it with this portion of your post given your history on this topic.

Bullying would be pushing someone down and keeping them down. I have neither pushed anyone down not kept anyone down. So to say I am a bully is a bit over the top.

I did make an argument. It's ridiculous that he sold his story. But hey abc was dumb enough to give in so be it ....

And my main beef on these topics is the ever changing vocabulary... It's just dumb. I'm tired of preferred pronouns, made up words, and one word with 6 different endings. Dude is about as ambiguous as you can get...
(07-18-2015, 03:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Obstinate behavior under the guise of confusion is such a wonderful thing. 

I see that a lot and sometimes i wonder if it really is a guise...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."