Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN top 15 on board for Round 2
(04-26-2019, 11:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Brown joins the Red and Green show?

as long as it doesn't lead to a clamoring for that other AJ guy.

Just think next year we could go all in for the CB from OK St, AJ Green....
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:34 AM)MentalRage Wrote: I know safety isn't a need but damn do I like Adderely and Thornhill.

Aj Brown and Deebo Samuel would be fun too. But I doubt Brown makes it that far.
I actually think S is a need.  Coach Taylor says defenses are in the nickle 80% of the time.  So forget about your basic 4-3 or basic 3-4.  80 % of time Bengals will be in the nickle D.  Bates Motel shows promise. Williams, some like him, I thought good QB's burned him like toast all game.  We lost Nelson and then IIoka.  Our depth at Safety isn't that hot.  Plus even with our starters there is room for improvement.  I could see 3 safeties on the field at times in nickle but like an extra LB if they run.   Adderley, Taylor, Thornhill are linebacker size at around 6' and 200 lbs, but with CB speed. David Fulcher type DB's that can play like a LB.  Again, we will be in nickel packages 80 % of the time, so stopping the run in those is Key. 

So I can see a DB that plays like a LB in 2.   I can also see a lot of other options.  WR, RB, TE, QB, DE, LB, CB.  

Again, that LB from Georgia that ESPN has listed to go tonight in 2 or 3.  I would have no problem going SEC OT and then SEC LB.  Bengals in past have drafted Georgia players, but these are new coaches.  Still, don't rule out the Georgia LB in 2 or 3 tonight. 

Don't rule out anybody.  The new coaches may have players on their boards unlike Marvin Lewis or any coach in Bengals history. Players that fit THEIR playbook, not the old Bengals playbooks. 

All I care about is Coach Taylor getting his players, so back off Mike, Katie, Tobin, Front Office. I don't care if fans get their players. All I care about is Coach Taylor and staff getting their players because they have to coach them & they have to win with them.

On D, we need speed. Speed is what we need. Like Tony Dungy. Bengals D in 2018 was just too slow getting to the ball. They can't pass cover or get to runners. They don't fly to the ball. They always look out of position because they are slow. Tony Dungy would want more speed, and he would be right. The Bengals need to get a lot faster on D. This hard knocks stuff of Burfict is all illegal now and it's too slow. Bengals need to get a lot faster on D, a lot faster. They get to the ball way too late. Quarterbacks are eating them alive up and down the field. If Defensive Speed is added in 2 and 3, that's a good thing. One D that is working, teams going to is the Tony Dungy Tampa & Indy D. It won 2 Super Bowls and teams are using it more and more, but it takes Speed. No slow players. You draft for Speed on Defense. It's not unlike Paul Brown in that D players are flying to the football. You can't make the tackle, break up the pass or get a turnover if you have slow feet. The Tony Dungy is to have the Fastest D in the NFL, and IT WORKS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:06 PM)kevin Wrote: I actually think S is a need.  Coach Taylor says defenses are in the nickle 80% of the time.  So forget about your basic 4-3 or basic 3-4.  80 % of time Bengals will be in the nickle D.  Bates Motel shows promise. Williams, some like him, I thought good QB's burned him like toast all game.  We lost Nelson and then IIoka.  Our depth at Safety isn't that hot.  Plus even with our starters there is room for improvement.  I could see 3 safeties on the field at times in nickle but like an extra LB if they run.   Adderley, Taylor, Thornhill are linebacker size at around 6' and 200 lbs, but with CB speed. David Fulcher type DB's that can play like a LB.  Again, we will be in nickel packages 80 % of the time, so stopping the run in those is Key. 

So I can see a DB that plays like a LB in 2.   I can also see a lot of other options.  WR, RB, TE, QB, DE, LB, CB.  

Again, that LB from Georgia that ESPN has listed to go tonight in 2 or 3.  I would have no problem going SEC OT and then SEC LB.  Bengals in past have drafted Georgia players, but these are new coaches.  Still, don't rule out the Georgia LB in 2 or 3 tonight. 

Don't rule out anybody.  The new coaches may have players on their boards unlike Marvin Lewis or any coach in Bengals history. Players that fit THEIR playbook, not the old Bengals playbooks. 

All I care about is Coach Taylor getting his players, so back off Mike, Katie, Tobin, Front Office.   I don't care if fans get their players. All I care about is Coach Taylor and staff getting their players because they have to coach them & they have to win with them.

On D, we need speed. Speed is what we need.  Like Tony Dungy.  Bengals D in 2018 was just too slow getting to the ball.  They can't pass cover or get to runners.  They don't fly to the ball.  They always look out of position because they are slow.  Tony Dungy would want more speed, and he would be right.  The Bengals need to get a lot faster on D.  This hard knocks stuff of Burfict is all illegal now and it's too slow.  Bengals need to get a lot faster on D, a lot faster. They get to the ball way too late.
 Isnt the Deandre Walker a rush end linebacker hybrid not a stand up 4-3 guy?  thats not the type of linebacker we need imo.  And with bates and williams here in the second i cant imagine safety being a need at all here
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: To be fair to Okeana I just asked someone I know about what's going on with Wilson and he said there is an unreported "issue" not being discussed publicly and some teams are simply out on him. Didn't go into details but it is kind of concerning. With Taylor talking a lot about character last night I am not sure we even look his way. 

Im finding nothing about an undisclosed character concern with Mack wilson anywhere.  All i found is that he didnt interview all that well at the combine but that its nothing major indicating a major slide.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 03:11 AM)kevin Wrote: Jawaan Taylor-OT
Drew Lock-QB
Cody Ford-OT
Byron Murphy-CB
Greedy Williams-CB
Ryan Finley-QB
Rock Ya-Sin-CB
Irv Smith-TE
Erick McCoy-C
Nasir Adderley-S
Deebo Samuel-WR
DK Metcalf-WR
Mike Sanders- RB
Taylor Rapp-S
Chase Winovich-DE

So after taking OT in 1, I think we are looking at QB, CB, TE, S, WR, RB,DE  
I think they may be leaning Defense which would be CB, S or DE
Nasir Adderley or Taylor Rapp are both linebacker size safeties with good speed, good athletes for Bengals in nickle D 80% of time to cover run and pass.

The new coaches could go different ways here.  There is good 2. Don't rule out new coach on QB, WR or RB pick.

ESPN shows the linebackers left are 3rd round.  Do Bengals go LB in 3, or is there a LB new coaches like in 2
We Find Out Friday.

For those saying, " What about Linebacker " ?.....ESPN shows Round 3 may hold Ben Banogu, D'Andre Walker, Jahlani Tavai, Bobby Okereke, Germaine Pratt.....D'Andre Walker is Georgia and Bengals have liked Georgia players in past, of course this is New Dey.

So names that stand out to me in 2 and 3 are Adderley, Rapp, Walker, but the main thing is, Who Does Coach Taylor Like ?   It's his team now. GO BENGALS

Could the draft start #1 OT, #2 DB, #3 LB   ?????

I have zero respect for ESPN draft analysis. I like CBS and NFLN, both are a lot better IMHO
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:22 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Im finding nothing about an undisclosed character concern with Mack wilson anywhere.  All i found is that he didnt interview all that well at the combine but that its nothing major indicating a major slide.

This is from one of the guys I know through a connection I have with EA. It's not really public knowledge because it wasn't an arrest, just a character flag of some sorts.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:22 AM)Benton Wrote: As I said yesterday, I felt like we were going to go T in the first and QB in later rounds, with Grier probably high up the list. QBs went like expected yesterday, except 6 & 15 were swapped from what people were guessing. I think the Bengals may go ahead and take one in the second.

I'm ok with it, but I like defenses. Our offense was operational, our defense wasn't good. I'd have rather we went with defense in a defense loaded draft, but I get the organization (and probably the new coach) want an explosive offense.

If we pass on QB in round 2, my sleeper QB in round 3 or 4 is Tyree Jackson from Buffalo. I think he could be an NFL starter in 2 to 3 years.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:21 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote:  Isnt the Deandre Walker a rush end linebacker hybrid not a stand up 4-3 guy?  thats not the type of linebacker we need imo.  And with bates and williams here in the second i cant imagine safety being a need at all here

I explained why we are not all that set at safety.  This is not going to be the Marvin Defense.  Bates has potential. Williams gets beat by good QB's. We lack depth.  There are some fast DB's with the size of a LB that could help in the nickle D we will be in 80 % of the time. Plus there is good talent on the board of them about ready to be drafted.  Bates and Williams but we don't have a Polamalu or Fulcher back there.  We don't have a stud that is all over the field sideline to sideline, end zone to end zone.  People need to accept that in order to improve the D, we have to accept last years players had many problems.  There is room for improvement on D from front to back. Bengals lack speed on D, they are too slow. You can coach up everything but speed. I hope they draft more speed on D.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If we pass on QB in round 2, my sleeper QB in round 3 or 4 is Tyree Jackson from Buffalo. I think he could be an NFL starter in 2 to 3 years.

I think our D is so awful, we now need to focus on D after getting the bell cow O Lineman.  Blocking and Tackling wins games. Dalton is our QB in 2019.  If we get a DB and a LB tonight in 2 and 3, that would sound good to me. I think we can still get a back-up QB as we did McCarron in round 5. Really, the Bengals back-up QB now isn't all that bad.

I'm hoping we go D tonight. I like the O Line pick, but our D is awful. We could use D picks tonight if we have any hopes of winning any games.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:43 PM)kevin Wrote:
I explained why we are not all that set at safety.
  This is not going to be the Marvin Defense.  Bates has potential. Williams gets beat by good QB's. We lack depth.  There are some fast DB's with the size of a LB that could help in the nickle D we will be in 80 % of the time. Plus there is good talent on the board of them about ready to be drafted.  Bates and Williams but we don't have a Polamalu or Fulcher back there.  We don't have a stud that is all over the field sideline to sideline, end zone to end zone.  People need to accept that in order to improve the D, we have to accept last years players had many problems.  There is room for improvement on D from front to back.  Bengals lack speed on D, they are too slow. You can coach up everything but speed. I hope they draft more speed on D.

You explained your opinion. An opinion some disagree. Is that not OK?

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:52 PM)kevin Wrote: I think our D is so awful, we now need to focus on D after getting the bell cow O Lineman.  Blocking and Tackling wins games. Dalton is our QB in 2019.  If we get a DB and a LB tonight in 2 and 3, that would sound good to me.  I think we can still get a back-up QB as we did McCarron in round 5.  Really, the Bengals back-up QB now isn't all that bad.

I'm hoping we go D tonight.  I like the O Line pick, but our D is awful.  We could use D picks tonight if we have any hopes of winning any games.

I really wish savage was still available

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:39 AM)Okeana Wrote:  As for people saying corner is not a need to remember that Dre Kirkpatrick is on the last year of his guaranteed portion of his contract and he has not been playing well. 

Kirkpatrick allowed the lowest completion percentage of any CB in the league last year (who played enough to be ranked), but Dennard is just signed to a one year deal.

I predict either TE Irv Smith or a CB (no idea which one)
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:43 PM)kevin Wrote: I explained why we are not all that set at safety.  This is not going to be the Marvin Defense.  Bates has potential. Williams gets beat by good QB's. We lack depth.  There are some fast DB's with the size of a LB that could help in the nickle D we will be in 80 % of the time. Plus there is good talent on the board of them about ready to be drafted.  Bates and Williams but we don't have a Polamalu or Fulcher back there.  We don't have a stud that is all over the field sideline to sideline, end zone to end zone.  People need to accept that in order to improve the D, we have to accept last years players had many problems.  There is room for improvement on D from front to back.  Bengals lack speed on D, they are too slow. You can coach up everything but speed. I hope they draft more speed on D.

LMAO ur right we dont have a once in a decade hall of famer like polumolu at safety lol but we do have two solid if not good safeties.  I mean Bates was a defensive rookie candidate and Shawn williams had 5 picks last year and a thumper in the box.  If you think drafting depth at safety is a bigger need than linebacker where we have noone u need to share with everyone what you smoking.  Our starting 5 defensive backs are more than competent and imo are actaully really good especially if dennard continues to progress and william jackson gets back to top corner in the league form.  We need a stud linebacker and imo there are 2 left in pratt and wilson.  gotta pull the trigger on one of those two here at 42.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:06 PM)kevin Wrote:  I could see 3 safeties on the field at times in nickle but like an extra LB if they run. 

Only way I see three safeties on the field is in our dime (6 DB) package.

Are you are talking about playing a safety type guy at LB in our base package?  Maybe it is just sematics, but I don't consider that a nickle package.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kirkpatrick allowed the lowest completion percentage of any CB in the league last year (who played enough to be ranked), but Dennard is just signed to a one year deal.

I predict either TE Irv Smith or a CB (no idea which one)

lmao Fred loves him some Kirkpatrick

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only way I see three safeties on the field is in our dime (6 DB) package.

Are you are talking about playing a safety type guy at LB in our base package?  Maybe it is just sematics, but I don't consider that a nickle package.

we can both agree that from a stats perspective pff is pretty good at analytics which is strange because I don't see Dre Kirkpatrick on this list

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018

with the money he's being paid and those great stats he should be right ?

Reply/Quote
I think the folks who say BPA are right. I still think that will likely be a defensive back (see my thread) but even if not, I'd agree that BPA is the way to go. I don't think that is a linebacker - we'll get our first Linebacker in round 3 and then probably get more on Saturday. It isn't what we dreamed of or going to dramatically change the quality of our linebacking corps (not saying we couldn't improve some, but it is unlikely we become elite) but that is OK. We drafted the best we could and team is going to be improved for it.

Reply/Quote
Cody Ford would completely solidify the right side of the O-line OMG, would love that pick.

Also would love Irv Smith, Jawaan Taylor (who i would of loved with our first pick) or even DK Metcalf who i didn't want early cause of his crazy shape. Also, i must add that we cannot just go off of what these guys say and act like a guy like Pratt will be there in the 3rd, take him if he is your BPA at the greatest area of need.

Would love Winovich too even if i don't find End to be the greatest need.

Dude has heart, cannot have enough of that and wouldn't surprise me if we pick him as Jonah has heart.

Our new coaching staff i hope just keeps making this statement. Gotta have brains too of course. Jonah does, so does Winovich.
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't mind getting a WR in the second or third. I'm worried about AJ's recurring Turf Toe injury. If he goes down again, Boyd is our #1 receiver. I wouldn't draft a QB, I would just ride out 2019 with Dalton and Driskell. Of course we still need LB help also. Decisions,Decisions!?!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would love Winovich too even if i don't find End to be the greatest need.

Dude has heart, cannot have enough of that and wouldn't surprise me if we pick him as Jonah has heart.

Our new coaching staff i hope just keeps making this statement. Gotta have brains too of course. Jonah does, so does Winovich.

I've been looking for other people's thoughts on Winovich... I like him as well.
Reply/Quote