Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EU countries not allowed to detain illegal migrants
(06-09-2016, 08:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: When members of parliament can't put forth any legislation then it's not representive.  

Considering the body that has legislative initiative, the Commission, is answerable to and, in the case of the President, elected by Parliament (they must approve all other members) and the Parliament has indirect initiative meaning they can ask (more like tell) the Commission to put forth legislation, I again think you may have the wrong idea.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-09-2016, 08:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Considering the body that has legislative initiative, the Commission, is answerable to and, in the case of the President, elected by Parliament (they must approve all other members) and the Parliament has indirect initiative meaning they can ask (more like tell) the Commission to put forth legislation, I again think you may have the wrong idea.

So you think they should be making laws for member nations?  

Over 55% of British laws come from the EU.  The Brits can't change them.   They actually pay money to allow  the EU to lord over them.  
(06-09-2016, 08:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So you think they should be making laws for member nations?  

Over 55% of British laws come from the EU.  The Brits can't change them.   They actually pay money to allow  the EU to lord over them.  

That's a mighty red herring you've got there.

You should look back in the thread for my opinion on the status of the EU right now.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-09-2016, 08:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: T
That's a mighty red herring you've got there.

You should look back in the thread for my opinion on the status of the EU right now.

They were never supposed to have this power.   It was for free trade in an era of tariffs.    
(06-09-2016, 08:48 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They were never supposed to have this power.   It was for free trade in an era of tariffs.    

The predecessor to the EU, yes, but subsequent treaties made them into something else. Treaties the member states signed and had the option not to. I mean, they are overstepping their bounds in my opinion, but the treaties that have been signed show the EU has evolved into a different being than it's predecessor at the end of WWII

(06-09-2016, 08:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The predecessor to the EU, yes, but subsequent treaties made them into something else. Treaties the member states signed and had the option not to. I mean, they are overstepping their bounds in my opinion, but the treaties that have been signed show the EU has evolved into a different being than it's predecessor at the end of WWII

So you are speaking about the Lisbon treaty.   The French and Dutch opposed the constitution yet the EU snuck in through the back door via the Lisbon Treaty.
(06-09-2016, 09:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So you are speaking about the Lisbon treaty.   The French and Dutch opposed the constitution yet the EU snuck in through the back door via the Lisbon Treaty.

And they could have not signed. They could have pulled out then. And it wasn't just Lisbon, there were a total of four treaties leading up to Lisbon, each adding layers to what would become the EU.

(06-09-2016, 09:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: And they could have not signed. They could have pulled out then. And it wasn't just Lisbon, there were a total of four treaties leading up to Lisbon, each adding layers to what would become the EU.

Thus showing that the EU is out of control and should be disbanded.   
(06-09-2016, 09:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Thus showing that the EU is out of control and should be disbanded.   

I think more of an evaluation and adjustment needs to be made. Breaking the EU up would end up being detrimental to the region economically and politically.

The UK had never fully bought into the EU, it's why they aren't a Eurozone country. They like to look back rather than forward whereas the countries that are all in don't look back in history with fond nostalgia for a number of reasons. The UK (along with France and Spain to lesser extents) likes to look fondly on the days of colonialism, which the other countries just don't have fond memories of. Some of them want to move forward but they are trying to drag some others along kicking and screaming and that is where the issues come about.

It's no secret I am a fan of some more European models for things, but the fact is that the EU is about easier commerce, easier diplomacy, and easier cooperation. Trying to drag countries into a more progressive path just creates animosity and works counter to those aims.

So this is as good a place as any for this: http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/german-finance-minsiter-schaeuble-warns-against-brexit-a-1096942.html

Quote:How would the EU respond if the British voted to leave theEuropean Union? German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble has stated that he rejects a further deepening of integration in Europe. "In response to Brexit, we couldn't simply call for more integration," the politician, a member of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democratic Union, told SPIEGEL in an interview. "That would be crude, many would rightfully wonder whether we politicians still hadn't understood." Even in the event that only a small majority of British voters reject a withdrawal, "we would have to see it as a wakeup call and a warning not to continue with business as usual," Schäuble said.

The British will head to the polls on June 23 to vote on whether their country will remain a member of the EU. Opinion polls currently show a neck-and-neck race, with the outcome of the vote still completely open.

In the interview, to be released on Saturday in the next issue of SPIEGEL, which includes 23 pages published in English, the finance minister warns that a British withdrawal from the EU could also negatively impact Britain's partner countries. "But my counterparts in the eurozone and I will do everything possible to contain these consequences. We are preparing for all possible scenarios to limit the risks."

Schäuble warned that a copycat effect would also be possible if Britain leaves the EU, and that other countries might follow. "That cannot be ruled out," he said. "How, for example, would the Netherlands react, as a country that has traditionally had very close ties to Britain?" But the German finance minister said he did not fear the EU would face an existential crisis in the wake of a possible Brexit. "Europe will also work without Britain if necessary."

The minister also warned the British that they may suffer from the economic aftermath of an EU exit. The country is economically so tightly interwoven with its EU partners that "it would be a miracle if there were no economic drawbacks following a British withdrawal."

Schäuble also ruled out the possibility Britain could again enjoy advantages of the single market, similar to the ways non-EU members Switzerland and Norway do, after leaving the EU. "It would require the country to abide by the rules of a club from which it currently wants to withdraw." Brexit, he said, would be a decision against the single market. "In is in. Out is out," Schäuble said.

(06-09-2016, 08:18 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:   Either you did you inmigration the legitiment way and follower the rules.... Or .... You snuck in like a snake in the grass/thief in the night. 

Not true at all.

Many illegals immigrants entered the country legally and just remained after their visas expired.
(06-09-2016, 07:55 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not true at all, there is a class of Visa's that is allowed a maximum of 29 days.

Then you should be correcting Lucie instead of me.

He should have said "This is spitting in the face of anyone who received a legal visa that allowed them to only stay 29 days".
(06-10-2016, 10:15 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So this is as good a place as any for this: http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/german-finance-minsiter-schaeuble-warns-against-brexit-a-1096942.html

I was gonna post this later.    It seems Germany is talking tough as we get closer to the vote.    They are currently covered as far as a trade deal goes and I seriously doubt Germany or any other EU nation is going to stop trading with the Brits.  
(06-10-2016, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then you should be correcting Lucie instead of me.

He should have said "This is spitting in the face of anyone who received a legal visa that allowed them to only stay 29 days".

No I said this is spitting in the face or anyone who gets a legal visa.   As far as I'm concerned we should grab them and put them into handcuffs until we can deport them.