Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eagles Getting 2 time all pro safety Kevin Byard
(10-23-2023, 06:07 PM)Housh Wrote: This is an age old debate on here

Our aggressiveness in FA and trades

Since Iv been watching NFL and NBA i can say not ONE team has “bought a ring”.
I guess you could say those 2 years Golden state had Kevin Durant they kinda paid for a ring but that neglects that the Warriors were already the best team in the league. Kyrie and LeBron dropping 30+ a game that finals doesn’t take away that GS was the better team that year.

We could absolutely do trades more but in my
Mind it’s not automatic that all those trades will be successful so i can’t in good conscience shit on us for not doing it more

The team that beat us in the Super Bowl literally bought their ring by assembling a super team of players they traded for (Stafford, Ramsey, *OBJ, Von Miller, etc).

Edit: OBJ wasn’t a trade but you get the point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The Eagles are becoming a "pushing in all the chips to win the Super Bowl this year or next year and then probably start cutting/retiring players" kind of team, especially with Hurts' contract set up ramp up in 2026.
Reply/Quote
Bengals could shore up some of their weaknesses by getting rid of a 5th or 6th round pick.

No excuse not to try and make moves.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 06:07 PM)Housh Wrote: This is an age old debate on here

Our aggressiveness in FA and trades

Since Iv been watching NFL and NBA i can say not ONE team has “bought a ring”.
I guess you could say those 2 years Golden state had Kevin Durant they kinda paid for a ring but that neglects that the Warriors were already the best team in the league. Kyrie and LeBron dropping 30+ a game that finals doesn’t take away that GS was the better team that year.

We could absolutely do trades more but in my
Mind it’s not automatic that all those trades will be successful so i can’t in good conscience shit on us for not doing it more

You could say the cavs kind of bought a ring, honestly.

The broncos Super Bowl with manning, Brady’s in Tampa, rams. Think if it this way. Two one loss teams just traded a late pick to help an area of weakness. Hardman -> chiefs.
Reply/Quote
Considering that we have a 5th RD comp and a 7th rd Comp this season. It would have made sense to make this deal.
On the flip side the team likes the backup safety situation with Anderson + Battle. So maybe the felt Byard wasn't worth the price.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 08:03 PM)J24 Wrote: Considering that we have a 5th RD comp and a 7th rd Comp this season. It would have made sense to make this deal.
On the flip side the team likes the backup safety situation with Anderson + Battle. So maybe the felt Byard wasn't worth the price.

Yea, I like battle too. I also don’t know if I want this season to hinge on a backup rookie safety. It would feel pretty good having a leader in the secondary.
Reply/Quote
Bengals with Derrick Henry could be scary - if anything it will open up the passing game
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 08:24 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Bengals with Derrick Henry could be scary - if anything it will open up the passing game

Not from in the gun.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's crazy to me how much teams overvalue draft picks...especially good teams.

Go and trade that 5 and 6 (which you prob won't hit on anyway) for a proven commodity.

It’s insane. Na, we’re good. We’ll hold these picks for like, Matt Sherry and Russell Bodine instead!

Yes, those two are from the old guard but I could not agree with you more.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Never been one to see one team do something and get mad at us for not doing it.

So much went right for the Eagles to be where they are. There’s no real replicating Jalen Carter falling in the draft when he was prior slated to be a top 5 pick.

There’s no way to replicate hitting on Hurts and Devonta Smith.

These guys they’ve signed in FA were not known

They manipulated the draft perfectly a couple years back. They made an aggressive trade to win now. 

The Falcons & Eagles are my favorite NFC teams. Good for them. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's crazy to me how much teams overvalue draft picks...especially good teams.

Go and trade that 5 and 6 (which you prob won't hit on anyway) for a proven commodity.

Bingo.

5th rounders and later are backup/ST guys, if they even make the roster at all.
Teams need to stop valuing them so high on the rare occasion they land a starter on O/D and have that player for a few years on the cheap.

Bengals have never operated with a short-term focus, but it's unrealistic for them to not think their best window is right now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 06:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Eagles are becoming a "pushing in all the chips to win the Super Bowl this year or next year and then probably start cutting/retiring players" kind of team, especially with Hurts' contract set up ramp up in 2026.

What they're doing is actually pretty impressive, as back at the onset of free agency they were up against the cap and having to let players walk.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote