Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eagles land Devon Allen
Allen has been one of our top hurdlers for the last few years, he was however a stud Oregon WR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-HVJ_CFYHs&ab_channel=TTG4REALHIGHLIGHTS

About a dozen or so college hurdlers have had good NFL careers, Rod Woodson the best.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 05:11 PM)Elzio Dennick Wrote: Allen has been one of our top hurdlers for the last few years, he was however a stud Oregon WR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-HVJ_CFYHs&ab_channel=TTG4REALHIGHLIGHTS

About a dozen or so college hurdlers have had good NFL careers,  Rod Woodson the best.

Well there you go, Eagles will be Super Bowl favorites because his 919 receiving yards and 8 touchdowns from 2014-2016 at Oregon were dominate. What a stud WR.   Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 07:16 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Well there you go, Eagles will be Super Bowl favorites because his 919 receiving yards and 8 touchdowns from 2014-2016 at Oregon were dominate.  What a stud WR.   Ninja

The guy had problems staying healthy that is why he gave football up. But when he did play he produced.

Hell,  Julian Edelman was a converted QB,  Hall of Fame WR's Bobby Mitchell and Charley Taylor converted running backs.

Let's see how it goes ok my man?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 07:31 PM)Elzio Dennick Wrote: The guy had problems staying healthy that is why he gave football up. But when he did play he produced.

Hell,  Julian Edelman was a converted QB,  Hall of Fame WR's Bobby Mitchell and Charley Taylor converted running backs.

Let's see how it goes ok my man?

I guess he had decent first season according to the stats I linked but not what I'd call a WR stud, especially if he could not stay healthy.  I just don't see the point of how this is news.  So the Eagles signed a track and field star that has not played organized football for 6 years and even when he did he wasn't that great.  So sure see how it goes my man. My guess is that it goes nowhere.   If I'm wrong and he makes something of himself in the NFL feel free to come back to this thread and tell me how wrong I was.   :)

No offense to your OP.  It just seemed an odd topic to post here "Eagles Land Devon Allen" like he was a hot free agent. And when most posts here are about more significant NFL signings and issues. I take it you are a fan of his or Oregon. So I hope his effort works out. :)

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood today. I probably should not have responded all.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 07:50 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I guess he had decent first season according to the stats I linked but not what I'd call a WR stud, especially if he could not stay healthy.  I just don't see the point of how this is news.  So the Eagles signed a track and field star that has not played organized football for 6 years and even when he did he wasn't that great.  So sure see how it goes my man.  My guess is that it goes nowhere.   If I'm wrong and he makes something of himself in the NFL feel free to come back to this thread and tell me how wrong I was.   :)

No offense to your OP.  It just seemed an odd topic to post here "Eagles Land Devon Allen" like he was a hot free agent.  And when most posts here are about more significant NFL signings and issues.  I take it you are a fan of his or Oregon.  So I hope his effort works out.  :)

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood today.  I probably should not have responded all.

The NFL Network has mentioned the signing.  I first found out it about on a track site.  When a two time Olympic hurdler gives that up for the NFL this is news.  Trust me if you watch sports talk on TV you will hear about this.  What it is is you know nothing about track so to you this is a nothing well to those who know bot sports it is news.

Google Devon Allen signs with the Eagles,  check out all the chatter about this out there. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/08/eagles-sign-olympian-devon-allen-wide-receiver-oregon-pro-day
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 09:22 PM)Elzio Dennick Wrote: The NFL Network has mentioned the signing.  I first found out it about on a track site.  When a two time Olympic hurdler gives that up for the NFL this is news.  Trust me if you watch sports talk on TV you will hear about this.  What it is is you know nothing about track so to you this is a nothing well to those who know bot sports it is news.

Google Devon Allen signs with the Eagles,  check out all the chatter about this out there. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/08/eagles-sign-olympian-devon-allen-wide-receiver-oregon-pro-day

Okay I'll look forward to hearing about his break through in the NFL come September.  He might be a special teams guy.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:06 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Okay I'll look forward to hearing about his break through in the NFL come September.  

What's going to happen is you will hear about this other places and think.....I knew that.

Remember Isacc Curtis the great WR, did you know when he was at Cal he took second in the NCAA 100m, lost to teammate Eddie Hart.  Did ya know Carl Pickens another stud Bengal WR was a 7 foot high jumper?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:15 PM)Elzio Dennick Wrote: What's going to happen is you will hear about this other places and think.....I knew that.

Remember Isacc Curtis the great WR, did you know when he was at Cal he took second in the NCAA 100m, lost to teammate Eddie Hart.  Did ya know Carl Pickens another stud Bengal WR was a 7 foot high jumper?

And neither of them spent 6 years away from organized football before they went into NFL.  Anyway, whatever.  I don't really care.  I just see this as a non-story but I hope Allen proves me wrong just so you can come back and rub it in my face.   :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:29 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: And neither them spent 6 years away from organized football before they went into NFL.  Anyway, whatever.  I don't really care.  I just see this as a non-story but I hope Allen proves me wrong just so you can come back and rub it in my face.   :)

You're really not getting this my man.

Devon Allen is an OLYMPIC hurdler, do you not understand this?  Yes when an Olympic hurdler returns to football this is without questions news.

ONE MORE TIME

Google....Eagles sign Devon Allen......you will find TONS of chatter about this,  this is news guy,  ok?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:35 PM)Elzio Dennick Wrote: You're really not getting this my man.

Devon Allen is an OLYMPIC hurdler, do you not understand this?  Yes when an Olympic hurdler returns to football this is without questions news.

ONE MORE TIME

Google....Eagles sign Devon Allen......you will find TONS of chatter about this,  this is news guy,  ok?

Okay. Whatever and yes I did google him after your first post as I never heard of him.   Just because it made the news, still not a hot topic IMO.  But if it is important to you then I'll respect that, my man.

I don't come here to argue all day and like I said I should have just ignored your OP to start with. So I'll let you have the last word if you want, my man.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:39 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Okay. Whatever and yes I did google him after your first post as I never heard of him.   Just because it made the news, still not a hot topic IMO.  But if it is important to you then I'll respect that, my man.

I don't come here to argue all day and like I said I should have just ignored your OP to start with.   So I'll let you have the last word if you want, my man.

It was real obvious you had no idea what was actually going on.  Now ya do,  yes anytime an Olympian returns to football this is news.

How many times have we heard about Chris Collinsworth being a state 100 champ in Florida?

Moving on....
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:53 PM)Elzio Dennick Wrote: It was real obvious you had no idea what was actually going on.  Now ya do,  yes anytime an Olympian returns to football this is news.

How many times have we heard about Chris Collinsworth being a state 100 champ in Florida?

Moving on....

You're being rude for no real reason. I am an Oregon fan and a Devon Allen fan. I have followed his track career. He is a blazer, but his track career means very little for his on-the-field prospects in the NFL. Everyone is fast in the NFL.  I don't expect him to come in and do much, if he even makes the roster, which is highly unlikely IMO.

I've never heard anything about Collinsworth being a state 100 champ in Florida.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 09:45 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: You're being rude for no real reason. I am an Oregon fan and a Devon Allen fan. I have followed his track career. He is a blazer, but his track career means very little for his on-the-field prospects in the NFL. Everyone is fast in the NFL.  I don't expect him to come in and do much, if he even makes the roster, which is highly unlikely IMO.

I've never heard anything about Collinsworth being a state 100 champ in Florida.

Yep. You can usually tell if they have a chance to be successful in the NFL by whether the story is; track guy that also plays football or football guy who also runs track. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 09:45 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: You're being rude for no real reason. I am an Oregon fan and a Devon Allen fan. I have followed his track career. He is a blazer, but his track career means very little for his on-the-field prospects in the NFL. Everyone is fast in the NFL. I don't expect him to come in and do much, if he even makes the roster, which is highly unlikely IMO.

To be fair I was a bit rude, argumentative, and snarky myself.   One of the things I try to avoid but I got caught in a bad mood.  Not that it makes it excusable. 

Anyway, time will tell if this signing was meaningful or not. As stated I don't expect much to come from it since he has not played in football 6 years but we never know I guess.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 09:45 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: You're being rude for no real reason. I am an Oregon fan and a Devon Allen fan. I have followed his track career. He is a blazer, but his track career means very little for his on-the-field prospects in the NFL. Everyone is fast in the NFL.  I don't expect him to come in and do much, if he even makes the roster, which is highly unlikely IMO.

Here ya go....

His family, including Cris and his younger brother Greg, moved from Ohio to Melbourne, Florida in 1963, when Cris was four years old.[5] They moved to nearby Titusville in 1972 where he and his brother attended Astronaut High School while their father was the principal.[5][6] Cris was successful in multiple sports for the Astronaut War Eagles, and during his senior year in 1976, he won the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) Class 3A 100-yard-dash state championship and was named a high school All-American quarterback.[7]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 10:59 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. You can usually tell if they have a chance to be successful in the NFL by whether the story is; track guy that also plays football or football guy who also runs track. 

You have any idea at all just how many NFLers were also track athletes?
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 06:19 PM)Elzio Dennick Wrote: You have any idea at all just how many NFLers were also track athletes?

Depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about high school T&F, about 50-60% of NFL players participated in that. If you're talking about Olympians, i think around 40 or so have been drafted in the nfl since its formation and 23 of them played in an actual game--not all of them sprinters and three of them participated in the winter Olympics. 

The full list of Olympians who were drafted into and played in the NFL, compiled thanks to data from Olympedia and the OlyMADMen:

Sam Francis — 1st pick, 1937 (first round)
John “Lam” Jones — 2nd pick, 1980 (first round)
Ollie Matson — 3rd pick, 1952 (first round)
Larry Burton — 7th pick, 1975 (first round)
Clyde Scott — 8th pick, 1948 (first round)
James Owens — 29th pick, 1979 (second round)
Jahvid Best — 30th pick, 2010 (first round)
Ron Brown — 41st pick, 1983 (second round)
Henry Carr — 43rd pick, 1965 (fourth round)
Bob Pickens — 44th pick, 1966 (third round)
Gerald Tinker — 44th pick, 1974 (second round)
Ray Norton — 46th pick, 1960 (fourth round)
Milt Campbell — 53rd pick, 1957 (fifth round)
Marquise Goodwin — 78th pick, 2013 (third round)
Bob Hayes — 88th pick, 1964 (seventh round)
Frank Budd — 96th pick, 1962 (seventh round)
Herschel Walker — 114th pick, 1985 (fifth round)
Randy Dean — 117th pick, 1977 (fifth round)
Michael Carter — 121st pick, 1984 (fifth round)
Jim Hines — 146th pick, 1968 (sixth round)
Michael Bates — 150th pick, 1992 (sixth round)
Nate Ebner — 197th pick, 2012 (sixth round)
Tommie Smith — 226th pick, 1967 (ninth round)
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/04/23/nfl-draft-olympic-olympians/

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2022, 09:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about high school T&F, about 50-60% of NFL players participated in that. If you're talking about Olympians, i think around 40 or so have been drafted in the nfl since its formation and 23 of them played in an actual game--not all of them sprinters and three of them participated in the winter Olympics. 

The full list of Olympians who were drafted into and played in the NFL, compiled thanks to data from Olympedia and the OlyMADMen:

Sam Francis — 1st pick, 1937 (first round)
John “Lam” Jones — 2nd pick, 1980 (first round)
Ollie Matson — 3rd pick, 1952 (first round)
Larry Burton — 7th pick, 1975 (first round)
Clyde Scott — 8th pick, 1948 (first round)
James Owens — 29th pick, 1979 (second round)
Jahvid Best — 30th pick, 2010 (first round)
Ron Brown — 41st pick, 1983 (second round)
Henry Carr — 43rd pick, 1965 (fourth round)
Bob Pickens — 44th pick, 1966 (third round)
Gerald Tinker — 44th pick, 1974 (second round)
Ray Norton — 46th pick, 1960 (fourth round)
Milt Campbell — 53rd pick, 1957 (fifth round)
Marquise Goodwin — 78th pick, 2013 (third round)
Bob Hayes — 88th pick, 1964 (seventh round)
Frank Budd — 96th pick, 1962 (seventh round)
Herschel Walker — 114th pick, 1985 (fifth round)
Randy Dean — 117th pick, 1977 (fifth round)
Michael Carter — 121st pick, 1984 (fifth round)
Jim Hines — 146th pick, 1968 (sixth round)
Michael Bates — 150th pick, 1992 (sixth round)
Nate Ebner — 197th pick, 2012 (sixth round)
Tommie Smith — 226th pick, 1967 (ninth round)
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/04/23/nfl-draft-olympic-olympians/

Bo Roberson won the 1960 Olympic long jump silver, the first speedy Raider,
Sam Graddy 1984 Olympic silver
James Jett Olympic 4x1
Stone Johnson Olympic 200m

Also Olympians

Sub 10.30/9.5 100m/100yd College sprinter/footballer/NFLer

Darrel Green
Trindon Holliday
Jacoby Ford
Alvis Whitted
Mel Gray
Isacc Curtis  Bengals
Mark Duper
O.J.Simpson
Joe Delaney
James Trapp
Sammie Parker
John Roderick
Rocket Ismail
Butch Woolfolk
Anthony Schwartz
Michael Bennett
Pat Johnson
Phil Epps
Travis Williams
JD Hill
Darrin Nelson
Jamaal Charles
Deion Sanders

How about all those hurdlers and long jumpers? 

TONS of pro footballers ran track....also!
Reply/Quote
First and foremost a track geek, always amazed at how many football fans aren't aware of the track history for the NFLers.

Jonathan Taylor was the top RB in the NFL and will be a top dog for awhile now along with Derrick Henry.

But did ya know.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spino0mdbIQ&ab_channel=FlashFilmz

Two time New Jersey state 100m champ

Would ya believe while in high school John Riggins was a two time Kansas State 100 champ, had a 9.8 PR.

Gale Sayers a 24-11 long jumper to lead the nations high schoolers.
Reply/Quote
Devon Allen has been cut by the Eagles. His NFL career is likely over.
Reply/Quote