Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early 2020 first round targets
(05-09-2019, 08:43 PM)Okeana Wrote: I'm not a Dalton hater, but let's be honest with ourselves that we had some amazing rosters around him in his prime and he still was never a top quarterback.  If our coaching staff does positive things, but find themselves limited by his play I could see them moving on.  Who knows this will be the first time Dalton plays in a new system built around him with a fresh new staff and maybe that elevates his play.  

I'm right there with you.  I think he's a top 15 QB with a ceiling of 10 when he has a good system and great players around him.  Is that enough? We really should have found out in 2015 but he had the injury.

I think he can play at his current level for another 5 years, but if we end up drafting in the top 5 next year, there's no question he's gone.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals select a top tier QB next year, then what does that action mean To Finley?  He is forever a backup?  If the Bengals stay with Dalton, then is good enough to win in playoffs?  He has yet demonstrate this capacity.

My guess, depending on where the Bengals draft, they will draft one of the top QB in next year's draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 10:30 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Bengals select a top tier QB next year, then what does that action mean To Finley?  He is forever a backup?  If the Bengals stay with Dalton, then is good enough to win in playoffs?  He has yet demonstrate this capacity.

My guess, depending on where the Bengals draft, they will draft one of the top QB in next year's draft.

being a backup is not a bad gig and those guys have time to develop.  How many backups have become stars after getting the chance to start, Brady is the ultimate example of course.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 03:47 PM)Okeana Wrote: being a backup is not a bad gig and those guys have time to develop.  How many backups have become stars after getting the chance to start, Brady is the ultimate example of course.

You think they will extend Dalton?  I am ambivalent about that.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Depending on how this season plays out, I'd say QB or LB next year. If we don't make the playoffs and finish less than 8-8, I think QB is the likely route.

I don't see us re-signing Dalton unless he's willing to take another team-friendly deal, which I'm inclined to think he won't do after seeing the sort of money Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles just commanded.

And frankly, I'm at the point now where if/when they don't make the playoffs the next two seasons, I'd like to move on at QB anyway. By that point Dalton will have been here for nearly 10 years with no playoff wins under his belt. Time for fresh blood.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
https://www.draftblaster.com/2020-nfl-draft/grant-delpit-s-lsu/

So I am liking Grant Delpit as an early pick. I also like Simmons at LB. And I would, a longer shot, consider a CB. Either way I'd like to beef up defensively next year.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 03:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know it's early, but I like to start looking into the next year's draft ASAP.
I think if things improve, the Bengals will be picking around 15-20. If they decline, top 10.
With that said, here are some guys I'm interested in at each range...

Top 10:
- Tagovailoa or Herbert, QB
- Chase Young, DE Ohio St
- Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama
- Laviska Shenault, WR Colorado
- CeeDee Lamb, WR Oklahoma

15-20 Range:
- Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
- Jake Fromm, QB Georgia
- Walker Little, OT Stanford
- Trey Adams, OT Washington (needs to play a full season without getting injured though)
- Henry Ruggs III, WR Alabama
- Tylan Wallace, WR Ok St

Basically, I'm leaning OT, QB, or WR.
QB obviously if Dalton doesn't show well in the new offense.
WR if Boyd and/or Green not extended.
OT to be opposite of Jonah Williams. Not expecting Glenn to stick around. Don't expect Hart to magically become a good OT.

That Laviska Shenault dude is a fricking beast!

And i do not use that term often. He can play WR or RB and just was the best player on the field all year for Colorado. They also have some other really good WR's but Shenault was by far the most impressive Receiver i saw last year cause he can do it all.
Reply/Quote