Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Jan Mock
Cuts:
Bobby Hart ($5.9 mill savings), CJ Uzomah ($5.3 mill savings), Geno Atkins ($9.6 mill savings), Gio Bernard ($4.1 mill), BJ Finney ($3.5 mill), Austin Seibert ($850k)

Key re-signings:
Carl Lawson, Quinton Spain, Mackensie Alexander, Brandon Wilson, Clark Harris, Kevin Huber

FA:
Larry Warford - Bengals get their long-term RG.

Daryl Williams - Bengals decide to upgrade their RT spot along with bringing in Warford, allowing them to cut ties with Bobby Hart, as there is uncertainty whether they will get Sewell or not. The OL is now set Jonah-Spain-Hopkins-Warford-Daryl.

Derek Wolfe - Wolfe can play multiple spots on the DL and shouldn't command much to return home to Ohio. Wolfe would replace Atkins as 3T in 4-3 alignment but also has the proper size and experience to play 3-4 DE when the Bengals are in that formation. Wolfe along with Lawson, Hubbard, Reader, and some draft picks should help generate a quality pass rush.

Karl Joseph - Joseph is a versatile safety that I think would help boost the defense. He signed cheap to play with CLE, so I hope he can stay relatively cheap and willing to come in as a backup. If he doesn't, there should be plenty of other decent backup safeties to sign.

Jameis Winston - Winston I think gets a bad rap for the timely mistakes he made as a starter, but I still think he's one of the better options to back up Burrow on the cheap. He's better than Allen and Finley. Winston as Burrow's backup was also mentioned by Adam Schefter.

FA kicker - There will be plenty of FA kickers available. Pick one.

Draft:
1) Kyle Pitts, TE Florida (6'5", 246 lb)
- I know Taylor would be more likely to go WR instead of TE, but I think Pitts would have a bigger impact. Pitts is a matchup nightmare, as he's too big for DBs and too fast for LBs. When I've watched him, he moves more like a WR rather than a TE. Pitts is also great at getting into the end zone, which the Bengals need. Taylor can (and should) use Pitts primarily as a pass catcher and keep Sample as the blocking TE while Pitts bulks up and develops his blocking.

2) Asante Samuel Jr, CB Florida St (5'10", 184 lb) - Guy reminds me a lot of his father, who was a great CB in the NFL. ASJ can play both outside and slot, and he has the speed and coverage ability to stick to receivers. Also willing and aggressive defending the run. With WJ3 leaving in FA, Samuel has a great chance to earn a starting spot right away.

3) Chazz Surratt, LB UNC (6'3", 230 lb) - Surratt converted from QB to LB in 2019 and it's paid off quite well. He has the ability to be the QB of the defense and he has the athleticism and size to cover TEs and RBs, stuff the run, and blitz. He had 31 total pressures on the QB in 2019. He has 12.5 sacks in his 24 games as a LB. The Bengals can (and should) use Surratt to rush the passer as a 5th/6th rusher.

4) Shaka Toney, EDGE Penn St (6'3", 250 lb) - Fast edge rusher who provides a good rotational piece with Lawson and Hubbard. Toney was pretty consistent in his 4 years at PSU, putting up 20 sacks and 28.5 TFL across 40 games.

5) Reggie Roberson Jr, WR SMU (6'0", 200 lb) - Speedy receiver who can run routes well too. He was Shane Buechele's big play guy. He ended up out for the season after just 5 games this season, so I do expect him to fall in a strong WR draft class. Roberson could be a good pickup to be that home run threat and act as WR3/4.

6) Khalil Herbert, RB Virginia Tech (5'9", 212 lb) - Compact 3-down RB who can run, catch, and block. He can also return kicks, averaging 26.9 YPR this season. From what I see, he has quickness and is decisive. He finds holes and has ability to bounce outside. With the Bengals moving on from Gio due to the increase in cost for Mixon, Herbert can compete with Williams for RB2.

7) Mustafa Johnson, DL Colorado (6'2", 290 lb) - My sleeper late rounder. Experience as a 5T at Colorado, but he's also played 3T. He is a good pass rusher but there are concerns with him being undersized. His smaller size allows him to often win the leverage battle, and he has quickness. Between Johnson, Toney, and Surratt, the Bengals should have a (much) better pass rush.

7-SEA trade) JD Spielman, WR/RS TCU (5'9", 180 lb) - Slot receiver and PR to replace Erickson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You didn't draft a single OL? Even if you plan to fill current holes through FA, you still need fresh talent to develop on rookie contracts.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 10:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You didn't draft a single OL? Even if you plan to fill current holes through FA, you still need fresh talent to develop on rookie contracts.

I didn’t have room because of the other spots I was trying to fill.

The way I see the OL:
OT - Jonah, Daryl, Adeniji, Johnson
OG - Warford, Spain, XSF, Jordan
C - Hopkins, Price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
While I think the OP is right that Bobby Hart should be cut I just don't see the team doing it. He is coming off his best season and is only 27. He might very well get a July/August extension. Also not to be this guy but the dreaded comp pick argument will come up if they fail to sign either/Both Lawson & Jackson. You are looking at two 3rd Rd comps in 2022.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 02:23 AM)J24 Wrote: While I think the OP is  right that Bobby Hart should be cut I just don't see the team doing it. He is coming off his best season and is only 27. He might very well get a July/August extension. Also not to be this guy but the dreaded comp pick argument will come up if they fail to sign either/Both Lawson & Jackson. You are looking at two 3rd Rd comps in 2022.

As for the draft I like it but I'm not in love with it. I also don't think that's what Tobin or Taylor would like it.

1.) Pitts- Great player but Taylor doesn't tend to use TEs. I could actually see Duke doing it though because he likes TEs, drafted both Gresham & Eifert in the first but if they draft a skill position I think they would go with Wr.

2.) Asante-  I'm not sure he is the CB prototype they are looking for. I think they would rather draft a longer more press man type CB.

3.) I don't think they go LB but intrigued by the pass rushing prowess by Suratt. Didn't know he had that ability in his arsenal.

If we get Mustafa in the 7th Rd I would be ecstatic.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 02:56 AM)J24 Wrote: As for the draft I like it but I'm not in love with it. I also don't think that's what Tobin or Taylor would like it.

1.) Pitts- Great player but Taylor doesn't tend to use TEs. I could actually see Duke doing it though because he likes TEs, drafted both Gresham & Eifert in the first but if they draft a skill position I think they would go with Wr.

2.) Asante-  I'm not sure he is the CB prototype they are looking for. I think they would rather draft a longer more press man type CB.

3.) I don't think they go LB but intrigued by the pass rushing prowess by Suratt. Didn't know he had that ability in his arsenal.

If we get Mustafa in the 7th Rd I would be ecstatic.
Yea I mentioned in the mock that Taylor doesn't really prioritize TEs in the passing game, but I would. It wouldn't surprise me to see WR taken in Rd 1 and TE taken in Rd 5 instead of vice versa like I have. But I did what I felt was better.

Are you sure they want to draft a press man type CB? That's not the coverage style they have been doing. It's been more off-man and zone, has it not? Regardless, I get the appeal for a bigger CB, but I just love the way Samuel Jr plays. If not him, I could see someone like Stokes, Campbell, or Kendrick. 

Regarding LB, they have two LBs hitting FA in Bynes and Evans. Personally, I don't think either should be retained. And I haven't been impressed enough with Pratt, Wilson, and ADG to just give them the starting LB spots. I can understand if Anarumo did, but I wouldn't do it. Surratt, to me, seems like a blossoming LB who has a good chance to emerge as a Top 10-15 LB. And yes, the pass rush is part of why I wanted him. He adds that extra element.

Mustafa Johnson is a favorite of mine. I put in Rd 7 only because I see him listed that low in prospect rankings. If the Bengals took him in Rd 5-6, I would be perfectly fine with that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote