Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Early Myles Murphy Panic
(08-16-2023, 04:21 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I didn't see those quotes, or didn't catch them in the proper context.

If they took a guy in the first round they didn't expect to contribute for 2+ years, they need to have their foreheads decorated with pop-knots. 

The time is now - this is the window, and they could have improved a number of other areas with a pick much more ready to effectively contribute. 

Yeah, I sure won't be happy with the pick if it takes that long for him to contribute. That would be bogosity beyond imagination.

I think MM will contribute as a pass rusher before then. 2 years is a long damn time. I expect by the end of this season he will be getting
much better as a pass rusher as long as he stays somewhat healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 04:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I sure won't be happy with the pick if it takes that long for him to contribute. That would be bogosity beyond imagination.

I think MM will contribute as a pass rusher before then. 2 years is a long damn time. I expect by the end of this season he will be getting
much better as a pass rusher as long as he stays somewhat healthy.

You know, "bogosity" has made the transition from street slang/colloquialism to standard word in merriam-webster. 

Not a fan of such things, but so society evolves..
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 04:21 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I didn't see those quotes, or didn't catch them in the proper context.

If they took a guy in the first round they didn't expect to contribute for 2+ years, they need to have their foreheads decorated with pop-knots. 

The time is now - this is the window, and they could have improved a number of other areas with a pick much more ready to effectively contribute. 

Pitt and Cleveland’s rookie OTs are having great camps.
Reply/Quote
Mans fits the profile of most of the Bengals' draft busts ever.

Raw prospect. "He just needs work guys" esque responses.

The Hendrickson extension was a bit of a red flag at the jump. I wouldn't expect Murphy to shiow any signs of competence until next training camp.
Reply/Quote
Considering how much of a hit our Run D took after Reader missed some time last year, I don't think taking the guy with the physical tools and +run-stop ability was a bad move. Even if it takes him time to develop as a pass rusher he will still have the ability to contribute pretty early and that will continue to improve with time.
Reply/Quote
We’re (fans that is) clearly not used to drafting at the bottom of each round… . He’s NOT a project strictly dpeaking, as he is already a good run stopper, and can contribute. He has things to work on.

Hopefully we can all get used to drafting at the bottom of the first, where it’s highly unlikely we’ll get an NFL ready splas player like a Chase, for example. Those guys are gone by the first half of the round.,.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
You guys and your "run stopping" lol

Look, I love run defense as the next guy...but there's just not a ton of value there taking a guy in the first round because of his "run defense". This defense is SORELY lacking pressure off the edge who's name is not Hendrickson. Murphy was taken to be an edge rusher and sack the quarterback, not be a "run defender" (although he is expected to do that too).

Pass rusher is something that translates pretty quickly to the NFL - I'd say it's a LITTLE concerning he isn't flashing much a pass rusher.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 05:52 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Pitt and Cleveland’s rookie OTs are having great camps.

We didn't have a shot at Pitt's, but Nolan Smith we did if we wanted pass rusher, and he is shining this camp with the Eagles. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 12:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I just checked my Draft chat I have with a few of my friends, and my exact comment when we drafted Murphy was, "Eh....I don't really like that pick, but pass rushers are a premium draft position I guess...." followed by "I am concerned that his pass rush win rate was so low and that he never seemed to be dominant in college, despite having all the talent in the world. It's not a one to one from college to the NFL, but production in college helps when projecting a prospect's chances of success in the NFL."

My opinion has not changed.

There were multiple players I would have preferred we take, including some pass rushers that I felt would add more to this team, but the Bengals have a type when it comes to DEs. Expecting them to take Derick Hall or Nolan Smith may have always been unrealistic.

This was the first 1st round pick under Zac Taylor that had me scratching my head because it felt like they were just picking the falling prospect (who, for all we know, fell for a good reason), and I don't love that.

I wouldn't say I'm "panicked" because I kind of figured he wouldn't be very productive in his rookie year (and, if I'm completely honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he just outright busts), but hope springs eternal. We have some good pass rushers on this team, so if he doesn't work out, his snaps will be taken by competent players.

It is what it is. Luckily, we got what seems to be a steal in the 2nd round with DJ Turner.

My thoughts pretty much exactly
Reply/Quote
Murphy did not look good against Packers, but neither Ossai in limited snaps. I am not overly concerned, Bengals have on of top 60 rosters in the NFL so not easy for any draft pick to be a star in year 1.

let's see if progresses before we label a late first round pick a bust.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 10:14 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Murphy did not look good against Packers, but neither Ossai in limited snaps. I am not overly concerned, Bengals have on of top 60 rosters in the NFL so not easy for any draft pick to be a star in year 1.

let's see if progresses before we label a late first round pick a bust.

We BETTER be in the top 60...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 10:14 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bengals have on of top 60 rosters in the NFL

That's rarified air. 

Reply/Quote
I think some of you are putting top 5 expectations on him. He wasn't drafted in the top 5.

Most of us have no idea what the coaching staff has him working on. If anything, they probably have him learning NEW moves, and in the mean time, he's not going to look like an immediate impact til he gets enough reps in to make that move 2nd nature.

Give the guy a chance to take his lumps and develop!
Reply/Quote
Depth chart for the Falcons game just released. He's 3rd behind Hubbard and Sample, which seems about right.

Let's hope he flashes.

Reply/Quote
This doesn't mean anything, but if you look at the bottom ~8 picks of the first round (24 to 32) over the last 10 years, you'll see names like:
Datone Jones
Taco Charlton
Payton Turner
Joe Tryon-Shoyinka
Odafe Oweh
LJ Collier

There have been a few aberrations like:
Montez Sweat and Whitney Mercilus (And TJ Watt, if you consider him a "DE") as well as a few guys that it's too early to tell like George Karlaftis and Gregory Rousseau (encouraging starts) and Jermaine Johnson (less encouraging start), but it looks like DEs that drop to the end of the first round are very iffy.

Maybe you can say the same about any position, but that list above is just...surprisingly bad. Lots of major busts in there, like Taco Charlton and Payton Turner. The names really stuck out to me.
Reply/Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't his strong suit playing the run? Maybe they envision him as Hubbard's replacement more than Hendrickson's.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I don't understand this. Murphy was always gonna be a project. He is raw with great physical tools. We are banking on him learning and improving. He was always gonna be #4 DE at best to start, behind Trey, Sam, and Ossai. He has good strength, can set the edge, and be a serviceable run defender from jump, much like Cam Sample, with whom he'll compete for snaps & kick inside sometimes.

Did anyone think he was gonna become Bruce Smith in two weeks? He is a big upside swing at a premium position that is gonna need time to develop. We just extended Hendrickson.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to be dominating, but this will be a process that will take months/years, not weeks.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 02:22 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I don't understand this. Murphy was always gonna be a project. He is raw with great physical tools. We are banking on him learning and improving. He was always gonna be #4 DE at best to start, behind Trey, Sam, and Ossai. He has good strength, can set the edge, and be a serviceable run defender from jump, much like Cam Sample, with whom he'll compete for snaps & kick inside sometimes.

Did anyone think he was gonna become Bruce Smith in two weeks? He is a big upside swing at a premium position that is gonna need time to develop. We just extended Hendrickson.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to be dominating, but this will be a process that will take months/years, not weeks.

He is just 21 years old.

Still needs time to grow into his Prime body size and strength.

Way, way too early to panic.  

Right now he seems to be staying engaged with the Offensive Tackle and may just need to develop some moves to dis-engage/avoid blocks.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 02:35 PM)depthchart Wrote: He is just 21 years old.

Still needs time to grow into his Prime body size and strength.

Way, way too early to panic.  

Right now he seems to be staying engaged with the Offensive Tackle and may just need to develop some moves to dis-engage/avoid blocks.

Right. What I saw that I did like was he was always trailing on plays, ones across the field from him a few times. He's got the hustle part for sure. He just needs some tools in the toolbox.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 09:54 AM)jj22 Wrote: We didn't have a shot at Pitt's, but Nolan Smith we did if we wanted pass rusher, and he is shining this camp with the Eagles. 

Smith is an OLB type. He does not fit our scheme. He weighs like 240. 
Reply/Quote