Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Mock (Draftek)
1. OLB JAYLON SMITH, NOTRE DAME

The best LB in the country. No way he'd fall to us if he hadn't injured his knee. This guy is obviously worth the wait if he falls to us.

2. WR TYLER BOYD, PITTSBURGH

This might be a Draftek gift pick. I seriously doubt he falls this far, but if he does it would be an amazing pick. He broke all of Larry Fitzgerald's records at Pitt, AND he returns punts. Had Jaylon not fallen to us in Round 1, I'd have been tempted to take this kid that early because he's that good.

3. C NICK MARTIN, NOTRE DAME

Arguably the best center in the draft, and we could really use an upgrade from Bodine.

4. DT CHRIS JONES, MISSISSIPPI ST

Pretty raw talent, but has an amazingly quick first step. He had 44 tackles and 7 for losses his final year in college. I'm hoping Burley can develop him.

5. CB ZACK SANCHEZ, OKLAHOMA

Another raw talent, but has alot of intangibles that make him a ball hawk. Led the Big 12 and was 4th in the nation in INTs.

6. S JORDAN LOMAX, IOWA

Said to remind some of Bob Sanders.

7. OLB CURT MAGGITT, TENNESSEE

Here's another one that looks too good to fall this far, but if he does I think he'd look damn good in stripes. Listed as an OLB, but at 6'3" and 256 lbs I think he could be great at MIKE.

UDFA
S KENNY ILOKA
TCU

George's brother. Amazing athlete. Suffered an injury that will knock him down to UDFA.

UDFA
DT KYLE PEKO
OREGON STATE

Domata's cousin. Let's keep it a family atmosphere.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like it. I really like Boyd too, but I can definitely see him being there in the 2nd. His combine numbers aren't going to wow teams.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'd be ok with this draft Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
"golf clap"

I like this draft.  Even though I don't agree with your thoughts on Jordan Lomax.  He is nothing like what Bob Sanders was in college.  But, I always say, we need more Hawkeyes around these parts.  LOL!   DingDing
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I thought kenny iloka stayed in school
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 07:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I thought kenny iloka stayed in school

I looked and didn't see any news on that. But I don't know. From what tape I saw, he looks faster than George. And he might even be taller. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 04:00 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: "golf clap"

I like this draft.  Even though I don't agree with your thoughts on Jordan Lomax.  He is nothing like what Bob Sanders was in college.  But, I always say, we need more Hawkeyes around these parts.  LOL!   DingDing

Lomax looks like quite a hitter. I think the Sanders comments came from that, plus his size. He's only 5'10". The guy certainly is a quality person. I think I remember that he's an academic all american. 
Reply/Quote
Bob Sanders had no regard for his bodily safety.  He was the hardest hitting safety I've seen since Ronnie Lott.  There would be a 3 yards and a cloud of dust pile up at the line of scrimmage and then all you would see is a black flash coming up from the secondary and the whole pile of humanity would fall down because of the flash.  The ball stopped moving forward.  That was a Bob Sanders kind of hit.  He did that multiple times in a game.  Punt and kick off's were especially fun to watch with Bob out there.  There's a reason why he was my favorite Hawkeye of all time.  Go YouTube his greatest hits. 

I've watched a lot of Hawkeye football these past couple of years and Lomax, don't get me wrong....he's a very good player, but he's no Bob Sanders.  He's much more 'technical' out there. Has a nose for the ball
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I like it.

Jaylon Smith would be huge, although the injury does concern me with our bad luck and history of mishandling injuries (maybe just more of a history of an inadequate training staff and facilities). It wasn't supposed to have a lasting effect, but we'll know more in March and April.

Boyd could be nice but we need him to polish his game a bit to become more of a fine-tuned possession receiver. He never really struck me as a guy that would be a #2, reliable, possession guy, but he's a good receiver.

Not sure if Martin could move the center of the line like I'd like and, after so many years with it as a weakness, I'd kind of like to see us go DT/NT earlier.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 05:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not sure if Martin could move the center of the line like I'd like and, after so many years with it as a weakness, I'd kind of like to see us go DT/NT earlier.

Thanks. After reading more about the kid out of Missouri, I share your concern about Martin. We need a mauler who can plow holes for Hill and Gio. 
Reply/Quote