Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Easy Solution To School Shootings?
(06-08-2022, 12:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: And yet I destroy both of you in every attempt you ever make to bash my threads.

Sure you do, buddy.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 12:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't put effort into Brad threads.
And yet I just realized that you've responded to this thread, what, 7 or 8 times with doing research? 

Sounds like you've put a decent amount of effort into this thread!

I love when people try and bash me and just go down in flames!
(06-08-2022, 12:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Sure you do, buddy.

See above!

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
This one only took 3 pages to reach its inevitable end.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 01:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: And yet I just realized that you've responded to this thread, what, 7 or 8 times with doing research? 

Sounds like you've put a decent amount of effort into this thread!

I love when people try and bash me and just go down in flames!

See above!

Hilarious

Nah, research is when I use government sites and academic journals to support my positions. I literally just used the first thing I found on Google for this thread. That shows you the difference in my effort in this thread compared to, say, the the other thread with my discussion with Hollo. I understand that what I did, a quick Google search as opposed to just regurgitating nonsense, is what you would consider "research," but I don't. It's less than a minute of effort. As for me posting several times in here, it's just boredom. Just like me bothering to reply to this one. I'm on a lunch break and have nothing better to do.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 01:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:  I'm on a lunch break and have nothing better to do.

Whatcha Eatin?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 02:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Whatcha Eatin?

Nothing. I'm not feeling great, so I don't have an appetite at the moment.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 02:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Nothing. I'm not feeling great, so I don't have an appetite at the moment.

And the page in my BengalsBoard cookbook shall stay blank yet another day. LOL

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 12:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: And yet I destroy both of you in every attempt you ever make to bash my threads.

Actually, you don't because the vast majority of your ideas only work in a person's head. They're rarely applicable in real life without a major cost and outrageous logistics. 

Not bashing. Ideas are good, but they're only as good as they're able to be implemented.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 04:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why should I have to pay to protect children that aren't mine? I already have to pay to support the public school system as a whole without any benefit from it, why should I have to pay more?

Don't mistake me for someone who thinks we should be spending that kind of cash over there. I am on Ukraine's side, but I am not in favor of us taking part in any way. Call me a non-interventionist in that way. I do find it funny, though, that conservative talking points are all about fiscal responsibility until it is something they want, then it's "They could find a way to pay for it."

This is the best sentence in this entire thread.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 04:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, that's not really how this works. If you put people in schools with guns there is always a chance of an accidental discharge. Most schools will never have an active shooter but by virtue of having armed guards in them all will have a potential of an accidental discharge, potential unsecured firearm, and so on. There will be a substantial increase in their insurance for such a measure unless they give these armed guards some sort of immunity which would be pretty reckless.

This actually recently happened in Parkland.

I imagine stories like this will continue to occur, especially if we start arming teachers or putting in more SORs/veterans with guns.
Reply/Quote

You make comments like this a lot in these threads and, honestly, I find them very fascinating. Your threads are basically the only threads that still get rated using the 5 star system that the message board entails and the vast majority of your threads have a 1 or 2 star rating.

To the casual observer, that would indicate that the originator of those threads, in this case you, is the one getting destroyed. 

If someone being destroyed is a matter of public opinion, and the public opinion is that the originator of the thread is doing low quality work, how could that person be convinced they are the ones doing the destroying?

I think it's because you don't seem to judge who is "being destroyed" based on public opinion, or facts, or the agreed upon reality of a situation but, rather, your own personal feelings about your exchanges with people.

Which is obviously going to be biased towards yourself. After all, you are the person who wrote your original post, so it makes sense that you would agree with your own take rather than others'. And very few people would ever admit that they're "being destroyed."

Despite all of our disagreements, Brad, I do generally find you to be an extremely interesting person. I don't think this forum would be the same without you.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 01:44 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: There's almost 400,000 unemployed veterans in the United States, so hire them to stand at school entrances with guns, even if just concealed pistols at middle schools, and you solve the school shootings problem, because it's not going to go away on its own.

This would also give veterans a sense of purpose because a lot of veterans are depressed and have troubles fitting back into normal society.

There would obviously need to be testing to make sure that they don't have PTSD that might flare up around groups of loud kids, but this seems like a no-brainer IMCO.

Why hasn't this been done? What am I not seeing?

Hire them with what money?
Money that could be used instead to fund school supplies and other things for the school?
Are people willing for these armed guards to get added to the payroll if it means increasing taxes?

It's probably a better idea than arming teachers though. There are many teachers who don't want to carry a firearm (at least at school).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 02:18 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Never said anything about Frequency, just that it happens in other developed countries as well, and thank you for making my point.

Surely the frequency points to a rather significant problem when it's so incredibly slanted; would you not agree?

To state that something merely occurs in other countries, without taking frequency into account, is to be purposely disingenuous or willfully ignorant about the disproportionate nature of said occurrences.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 07:42 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Surely the frequency points to a rather significant problem when it's so incredibly slanted; would you not agree?

To state that something merely occurs in other countries, without taking frequency into account, is to be purposely disingenuous or willfully ignorant about the disproportionate nature of said occurrences.

The United States accounts for ~66% of the mass shootings in the world.
https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/10-countries-with-the-most-mass-shootings-in-the-world-666161/10/

The second-highest percentage in the world? Germany at 6%
Quote:Germany has banned automated and semi-automated firearms in 2008 and has now become one of the strictest countries concerning the law for firearms. And because of the good reason, for being among the top countries with the most mass shootings in the world. Since this law was brought upon, the rate of mass murders in Germany fell off rapidly.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 04:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why should I have to pay to protect children that aren't mine? I already have to pay to support the public school system as a whole without any benefit from it, why should I have to pay more?

Don't mistake me for someone who thinks we should be spending that kind of cash over there. I am on Ukraine's side, but I am not in favor of us taking part in any way. Call me a non-interventionist in that way. I do find it funny, though, that conservative talking points are all about fiscal responsibility until it is something they want, then it's "They could find a way to pay for it."

The best part is when you ask how that's going to get paid for.
"Well, just pull money from other things that our tax money is going toward!"
Oh really?
Well, the top 3 things tax money goes toward are military, social security, and medicare.
Are you going to reduce funding for the military? I doubt many conservatives would want that. Many think it needs more funding.
Are you going to reduce social security? Many elderly are heavily reliant on SS. Reducing that would really hurt them.
Are you going to reduce medicare? Many elderly also rely on this, and it already doesn't provide great coverage. Other insurance options are too expensive if you're not working.
I would know about these last two - my father heavily relies on SS and Medicare. Reducing those benefits would be devastating for him.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote