Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy vs Hard Training Camp
I'll try to diversify the discussions.

So we know that ZT went lighter on camp this year emphasizing rest. We see the results this season.

Do you favor easy or hard training camps? Do you think that one of the other lessens chances of injuries during the season? Do you think one or the other prepares a team better? Do you think that age/quality of a roster should impact this?

Note: I'm deliberately trying to keep this general to spark discussions.
Reply/Quote
They seem in better shape than Marvin's guys, but they way they can't open and push holes.... I don't know about strength training.
Reply/Quote
I wonder about injuries too. Seems we've had a decent bit too.

The whole premise of an easy camp is to avoid injuries.

Do we actually know how Jonah got hurt?
Reply/Quote
I've always subscribed to the theory that " you play the way you practice".
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Depends on the team. Many years ago training camp was brutal because the players did not work out all year round. The waited for training camp to get in shape.

If the players come into camp in top shape then there is no need to beat them up with a brutal camp. All that does is wear them down. But if the show up soft or sloppy then run their asses off.

By the time a player is in the NFL you are not going to make him any tougher by having him pound heads during training camp. If a guy is tough enough to make the NFL he is not going to get mentally soft over the offseason.

In college the offseason workouts are when coaches toughen up players. They push the players to the point of breaking without having to worry about them having dead legs come game day.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Depends on the team.  Many years ago training camp was brutal because the players did not work out all year round.  The waited for training camp to get in shape.

If the players come into camp in top shape then there is no need to beat them up with a brutal camp.  All that does is wear them down.  But if the show up soft or sloppy then run their asses off.

By the time a player is in the NFL you are not going to make him any tougher by having him pound heads during training camp.  If a guy is tough enough to make the NFL he is not going to get mentally soft over the offseason.

In college the offseason workouts are when coaches toughen up players.  They push the players to the point of breaking without having to worry about them having dead legs come game day.

And that's the other side of it. It does depend on the team.

And there are different skills. Perhaps less conditioning and more learning of the offense and defense?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 11:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that's the other side of it. It does depend on the team.

And there are different skills. Perhaps less conditioning and more learning of the offense and defense?

I agree with you and Fred here. These guys stay in shape pretty much all year around, I should say most guys. It's pretty much universal now days, nobody does 2 a days anymore or Oklahoma drill and that's on all levels. 
Reply/Quote
I’m in favor of a really hard training on the conditioning side. My goal would be to have the fittest team in the league. No players being gassed or hands on their hips the entire game. I can see taking it a bit easier on the high impact portions of training camp, outside of tackling drills on dummies.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 01:54 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m in favor of a really hard training on the conditioning side. My goal would be to have the fittest team in the league. No players being gassed or hands on their hips the entire game. I can see taking it a bit easier on the high impact portions of training camp, outside of tackling drills on dummies.

I agree that conditioning is very important, but if you push a team too hard during training camp you just start the season with dead legs.

In college coaches have control over them all year round and the offseason workouts are pukefests where they work on conditioning.  NFL teams can't do that.

What I would do is set a conditioning goal for each player.  Something like their time in a mile run.  The guys who can't meet that mark at the start of training camp have to run every morning at 6:00 AM until they do.  That is what my college coach did.

Football is a very complicated team game.  Training camp practices should be dedicated to working on things players can't do on their own or without coaches.  Things like individual technique and team/unit drills.   
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree that conditioning is very important, but if you push a team too hard during training camp you just start the season with dead legs.

In college coaches have control over them all year round and the offseason workouts are pukefests where they work on conditioning.  NFL teams can't do that.

What I would do is set a conditioning goal for each player.  Something like their time in a mile run.  The guys who can't meet that mark at the start of training camp have to run every morning at 6:00 AM until they do.  That is what my college coach did.

Football is a very complicated team game.  Training camp practices should be dedicated to working on things players can't do on their own or without coaches.  Things like individual technique and team/unit drills.   

Team conditioning builds chemistry/camaraderie. Not sure a mile time is a good indicator, though. I might time something like suicides. A more high explosion, multiple short bursts stamina drill.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 03:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Team conditioning builds chemistry/camaraderie. 

Yes it does.  You can't slack off when you are working out as a team, and having teammates cheer you on can pick you up.
Reply/Quote
Hard practices always build relationships. Unfortunately, going easy does nothing for you. It might change in the pros, but I highly doubt it. You have to go in, every single day, thinking the guy across from you is working 2-3 times harder than you. That goes the same way with watching film, lifting weights, running, etc. It's a mindset and a mentality. If you go into camp, practice, worried about 'health' then you're in the wrong sport and worrying about the wrong things. It's a loser mentality.

I'm all for giving vets rest days. I actually welcome it but as a whole, I think you set a dangerous precedent with 'light' camps.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 10:36 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: They seem in better shape than Marvin's guys, but they way they can't open and push holes.... I don't know about strength training.

In an earlier post,folks were talking about our HC being way over his head,and that is probably true in a lot of sitituations,however,Dalton has the ability and permission to change the play when he sees fit and he is excellent in that dept.What is so troubling is his O-line cannot hold up and that makes him look super bad and blows the play up.When he has time,he is good.
Reply/Quote