Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edge?
What’s with the whole Edge thing? Do you like it? I get that they can rush from DE or OLB but I think that I like the primary position that they played listed instead. They could note the other stuff in the player description. Will Nickel be listed next year? Maybe it’s more of informative, I don’t know. What about a LB, S hybrid? LBS? Maybe I’m thinking too much.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:37 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: What’s with the whole Edge thing? Do you like it? I get that they can rush from DE or OLB but I think that I like the primary position that they played listed instead. They could note the other stuff in the player description. Will Nickel be listed next year? Maybe it’s more of informative, I don’t know. What about a LB, S hybrid? LBS? Maybe I’m thinking too much.

I think use the term "edge" more because of the differences between 3-4 and 4-3.

3-4 DEs are more like DTs and 4-3 DEs can be more like OLBs.
Reply/Quote
I think it's also being used because of players like Von Miller and Khalil Mack. They don't really drop back into coverage so listing them as OLB doesn't totally seem right. Calling both Nick Vigil and Von Miller OLBs is a stretch because they don't really do the same thing. This way Miller is labeled as an 'edge'.

I'm sure there is a better way to explain it, but that's how it makes sense to me.
Reply/Quote
Lots of college DEs become OLBs in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think use the term "edge" more because of the differences between 3-4 and 4-3.

3-4 DEs are more like DTs and 4-3 DEs can be more like OLBs.

The edge is meaning a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 LB, is that about right? I guess it was more fun for me reading in the description of the players on draft day. I like knowing that I guy could play safety or linebacker but I also like knowing how he was used that earned him being drafted in the first place. I get that the edge player rushes the QB but was he a 3-4 LB or a 4-3 DE in school?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:37 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: What’s with the whole Edge thing? Do you like it? I get that they can rush from DE or OLB but I think that I like the primary position that they played listed instead. They could note the other stuff in the player description. Will Nickel be listed next year? Maybe it’s more of informative, I don’t know. What about a LB, S hybrid? LBS? Maybe I’m thinking too much.

It's because few teams run a straight 4-3 or 3-4 anymore, almost everyone has some hybrid packages so it's easier to say this guy is an outside pass rusher than to pigeon hole them in a position. It's more for fans than anything because many still don't know the difference when a guy is a rush OLB or a stack OLB. 
Reply/Quote
Colleges are pretty crazy in how they line guys up on defense. They line Safeties up at LB. And CB's at LB. And LB's at DE. And DE's at DT.

It really isn't the position you are listed at on the program, it's where you line up on the field in relation to the offensive line.

NFL seems to be more traditional with how they line guys up.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:46 PM)MentalRage Wrote: I think it's also being used because of players like Von Miller and Khalil Mack. They don't really drop back into coverage so listing them as OLB doesn't totally seem right. Calling both Nick Vigil and Von Miller OLBs is a stretch because they don't really do the same thing. This way Miller is labeled as an 'edge'.

I'm sure there is a better way to explain it, but that's how it makes sense to me.

Same way i feel.

Carl Lawson is and Edge player like Von Miller.

Vigil is an Outside Linebacker.
Reply/Quote