Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education Comparisons
(03-13-2016, 06:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The issue of paying for your own child's schooling has been brought up here before. It costs a lot more than what the average person is paying in taxes towards education. That's why taxes exist. We all share the cost of essential services provided by the government, even if we do not use them.

If you required everyone to privately fund their child's education, our country would regress. Most localities fund education with property taxes and many low income individuals do not pay property taxes as they tend to rent. This would be an additional expense that they would be facing every year based on the number of children they have. The average cost for private schools is nearly $8,000 a kid.

Would there be cheaper options? Sure, but how good would those options be? As it currently stands, the average private school isn't all that different from public school. What will a $2,000 a year school look like?

If you like the idea of millions of kids just not getting an education, hey, good for you. I don't look forward to the inevitable rise in unemployment and crime, nor the costs associated with either.

I agree with you to a point. I think Nately mentioned one time in jest but it was actually on point . There would just be budget alternatives for small budgets. Like fast food is for restaurants. Some will cook at home, some will eat McDonald's and some will have fine dining. The same will be for education which will force families to prioritize education which isn't a bad thing especially since they will most likely be more engaged with their child's education and lessons. Which we both know is a serious issue and usually the problem when kids fail.
(03-13-2016, 06:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If you like the idea of millions of kids just not getting an education, hey, good for you. I don't look forward to the inevitable rise in unemployment and crime, nor the costs associated with either.

Even if you are heartless and don't mind paying for more crime and poverty you should care if you ever plan on making a living in the United States.  Businesses need an educated work force.  

And businesses need a large enough middle class to buy enough goods and services to keep them in profit.

The ENTIRE COUNTRY benefits from better education for all children.  There can obviously be a debate about how to accomplish the best results, but no one who understand the economic impact of education would argue that we should "not care" about the people who can not afford an education for their kids.

I have a real problem punishing children for the sins of their parents.  I don't think kids of poor parents should be punished or held back because their parents had problems.