Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eifert returns
I'm like everyone else, waiting on the details of the deal. I like Eifert and what he brings when he plays, but he's just so hard to rely on for any significant amount of time.

He's too talented to be considered anything but the number 1 TE when healthy, but when he's inevitably lost, what's left to take his place? Once again we're back to running the Matt Lengels and Mason Schreks of the world onto the field in 2 TE sets.

The position still needs to be addressed, preferably with a strong in-line blocking prospect.

Sort of related: If there's one player in the recent history of this team I didn't realize I'd miss before he was gone, it's Reggie Kelly. Terrific blocker, always available, and plenty capable of getting you a touchdown in the red zone. I'd love to have another guy like him on the roster. Not flashy, but as dependable as they come.
Reply/Quote
Happy to see him back!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
As long as his injury risk is reflected in the contract, I like it. Uzomah has turned into quite a solid plan B if Eifert get hurt again.

Personally, I'm pulling for Eifert. He's a good dude and a great talent. A redemption story for him would be amazing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Pretty much had to do this as Uzomah isnt a starter quality.

I'll be rooting for Eifert. That said, I hope and pray that he's healthy...for his sake and for quality of life for him after.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 03:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: True about career injuries. He is like AJ, he causes match up issues so teams have to game plan for him, but like Eifert, last year AJ missed almost 50% of the games so no game planning for guys on the sidelines.

In Eifert's case, maybe he caught a break and his back issue got a much needed year to recover. Tyler has had more recovery time this time around so hopefully his fitness and strength will be best he has been in a long time.

Our offense crashed when he got hurt...and it wasnt like he was catching 10 balls. Defenses adjusted to his presence and it opened things up for othrrs.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 03:31 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm like everyone else, waiting on the details of the deal.  I like Eifert and what he brings when he plays, but he's just so hard to rely on for any significant amount of time.

He's too talented to be considered anything but the number 1 TE when healthy, but when he's inevitably lost, what's left to take his place?  Once again we're back to running the Matt Lengels and Mason Schreks of the world onto the field in 2 TE sets.  

The position still needs to be addressed, preferably with a strong in-line blocking prospect.  

Sort of related: If there's one player in the recent history of this team I didn't realize I'd miss before he was gone, it's Reggie Kelly.  Terrific blocker, always available, and plenty capable of getting you a touchdown in the red zone.  I'd love to have another guy like him on the roster.  Not flashy, but as dependable as they come.

Reggie had 5 TD's in 12 seasons (184 games). I agree on the rest, but a red zone threat he definitely was not.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 03:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pretty much had to do this as Uzomah isnt a starter quality.

I'll be rooting for Eifert. That said, I hope and pray that he's healthy...for his sake and for quality of life for him after.

I agree with most you post, but I disagree. I think he is starting quality and got better as his playing time increased. He grew in my opinion so hopefully he will keep growing in 2019.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 03:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As long as his injury risk is reflected in the contract, I like it. Uzomah has turned into quite a solid plan B if Eifert get hurt again.

Personally, I'm pulling for Eifert. He's a good dude and a great talent. A redemption story for him would be amazing.

Yes it would.  He sure has earned it.  His luck has been abysmal but there's no questioning his heart and desire.  Lesser men would have given up by now.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 04:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with most you post, but I disagree. I think he is starting quality and got better as his playing time increased. He grew in my opinion so hopefully he will keep growing in 2019.

I guess it depends on what expectations are for a te. CJ is a capable blocker and he'll get you 450 yards receiving.

You can get by with that...but it's not going to move the needle like a top 20 TE. Our offense was dynamic with Eifert. His loss was the biggest injury we had.
Reply/Quote
Lazor last season had styled his whole offense around multiple TE sets. So when the TEs got wiped out by injuries the scheme imploded. CJ is better than he was - his hands have definitely improved.
Reply/Quote
We need to have an effective plan B for when he gets injured.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Good luck with Tyler is due to happen.. two bonus with his injury last year.. 1. it is more recoverable being a break 2. He was playing fine last year with his back injury but because his season was cut short, gave him even more time of wear and tear on his back recovery
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 04:47 PM)SladeX Wrote: We need to have an effective plan B for when he gets injured.

I think we will.  Problem last year was we went through Plan B, C and D.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 04:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: Lazor last season had styled his whole offense around multiple TE sets. So when the TEs got wiped out by injuries the scheme imploded. CJ is better than he was - his hands have definitely improved.

And then Lazor didn't adjust...

Who builds an offense around a TE that misses that many games.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And then Lazor didn't adjust...

It's been stated, especially by Brian Callahan, that the Taylor/Callahan offense will certainly use a dominant TE but does not rely on having one.  That in itself will be a change for the better.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And then Lazor didn't adjust...

With all due respect, AJ missed 7 games too. Tough to build anything with a suspect OL, losing 3 of your TE's by week4 and then AJ after game #9.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 04:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I guess it depends on what expectations are for a te. CJ is a capable blocker and he'll get you 450 yards receiving.

You can get by with that...but it's not going to move the needle like a top 20 TE. Our offense was dynamic with Eifert. His loss was the biggest injury we had.

Those 439 receiving yards were enough to have him 18th in the league among TEs, despite not starting at the beginning of the season, and playing hurt at the end, and having Jeff Driskel at QB for much of that time.

CJ's not the guy people are ever going to think of when people think "great TEs", but he's no slouch. I like these guys 1-2.

Will they grab a 3rd guy somewhere, or do they like Max Schreck, Jordan Franks, or Cethan Carter (who the former coaches loved last postseason before getting hurt and can work out of the backfield) to go with one of them?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 03:01 PM)McC Wrote: I don't get the lack of appreciation for CJ.  He's shown to be very tough, reliable, with some run after catch ability and has gotten better each year.  He may not be Gronk but he is no slouch.

He hasn't gotten better each year.

2015: 4 yards (AJ Green played 16 games)
2016: 234 yards (AJ Green played 10 games)
2017: 92 yards (AJ Green played 16 games)
2018: 439 yards (AJ Green played 9 games)

His yardage each year is inverse to the number of games AJ Green played that year, meaning he's not good but when the actually good options are hurt, they just force feed him the ball a bit.

Not sure how you feel about PFF (I don't treat it like gospel, but it's a good reference) but last year they had Uzomah listed as the 42nd out of 54 qualified TEs, and gave him a 57.4 grade.

The guy is a backup TE but because Eifert is going to be hurt every year he's going to be shoehorned into being a starting TE, which is detrimental to the team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Eifert changes the game when healthy. Still wouldn't mind a top 100 pick being used on a TE( I would say should) but Eifert is a good signing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 03:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offense crashed when he got hurt...and it wasnt like he was catching 10 balls. Defenses adjusted to his presence and it opened things up for othrrs.

^That, right there is what makes this signing so important.  The guy is so dangerous, that teams have to plan around him, weather he's getting a lot of action, or just acting as a decoy.

Personally, I'm happy they were able to reach a deal.  Even though he's often injured, he's tough as nails.  Many weaker individuals would have simply retired by now, and just gave up the competitive fight.  He definitely has my respect.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote