Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eifert returns
(03-16-2019, 02:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The problem with continuing to bring Eifert back is that it prevents the Bengals from actually searching for a reliable #1 TE.

I don't often agree with Mr Leap, but he is correct here.

Eifert is not even real.

He is like a rumor.

A vague dream. An undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There’s more of gravy than of grave about him
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Shocking stat: He's had over 445 receiving yards exactly ONCE in his 6 year career.

He's caught over 39 passes exactly ONCE too.

That’s so sad. At least the guy has made bank!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't often agree with Mr Leap, but he is correct here.

Eifert is not even real.

He is like a rumor.

A vague dream.  An undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There’s more of gravy than of grave about him

I remember last fall thinking how great it would be to see the offense with him for a full season.  It was all humming right along.  I actually believed it could happen when he lasted through the first 3 games.

Then, BAM!  Right back to being lost for the season in 1 play.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:52 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: That’s so sad. At least the guy has made bank!

I am glad to bring him back on a hopefully team-friendly deal. I would love to get Hockenson but it sure looks like LB in the first. One of the Devins and it looks like White will be gone so I think Devin Bush is the pick and I’m good with that.
Reply/Quote
Eifert showed to me he was over the back injury last season. It was a freak accident that took him out, one that could have happened to anyone. I'm genuinely excited to see him out there again and will be rooting for him to finally have a full season again.

I get why people are cautious about the signing, but he's just one of my favorites and I hope it works out.

The deal pretty much has to be similar to the one he got last year, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't often agree with Mr Leap, but he is correct here.

Eifert is not even real.

He is like a rumor.

A vague dream.  An undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There’s more of gravy than of grave about him

[Image: 102-the-usual-suspects-quotes.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 05:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He hasn't gotten better each year.

2015: 4 yards (AJ Green played 16 games)
2016: 234 yards (AJ Green played 10 games)
2017: 92 yards (AJ Green played 16 games)
2018: 439 yards (AJ Green played 9 games)

His yardage each year is inverse to the number of games AJ Green played that year, meaning he's not good but when the actually good options are hurt, they just force feed him the ball a bit.

Not sure how you feel about PFF (I don't treat it like gospel, but it's a good reference) but last year they had Uzomah listed as the 42nd out of 54 qualified TEs, and gave him a 57.4 grade.

The guy is a backup TE but because Eifert is going to be hurt every year he's going to be shoehorned into being a starting TE, which is detrimental to the team.

His production seems more tied to Eifert's health than AJ Green's. In 2017, we played Kroft over Uzomah when Eifert got hurt. That's why Uzi's numbers were so down that year. Of course, a pretty severe ankle injury in training camp that kept him out of preseason games and (IIRC) the first 2-3 weeks probably didn't help. Nor did a week 5 knee injury.

(03-16-2019, 10:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Shocking stat: He's had over 445 receiving yards exactly ONCE in his 6 year career.

He's caught over 39 passes exactly ONCE too.

He shared the field with Gresh as a rookie, which ate into his production. Other than that, he's only played one season even close to 16 games (13 games in 2015). So it's not really surprising he hasn't posted great numbers. He's had a grand total of 2 (somewhat) healthy seasons and had to split TE targets with Gresh in one of them.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:26 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: 102-the-usual-suspects-quotes.gif]

I suppose Kevin Spacey would know...  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: His production seems more tied to Eifert's health than AJ Green's. In 2017, we played Kroft over Uzomah when Eifert got hurt. That's why Uzi's numbers were so down that year. Of course, a pretty severe ankle injury in training camp that kept him out of preseason games and (IIRC) the first 2-3 weeks probably didn't help. Nor did a week 5 knee injury.

He shared the field with Gresh as a rookie, which ate into his production. Other than that, he's only played one season even close to 16 games (13 games in 2015). So it's not really surprising he hasn't posted great numbers. He's had a grand total of 2 (somewhat) healthy seasons and had to split TE targets with Gresh in one of them.

Yep. People tend to act like he's a HOF caliber guy. Who knows? The stats are way far from HOF. After 6 years it's hard to say.

He plays so infrequently, that there's a lot of speculation as to how good he is. Like a legend kind of.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. People tend to act like he's a HOF caliber guy. Who knows? The stats are way far from HOF. After 6 years it's hard to say.

He plays so infrequently, that there's a lot of speculation as to how good he is. Like a legend kind of.

People are mostly going off of his 2015 season, when he was on pace for 757 yards and 16 TD's. You can also just look at the offense when he's out there and see the difference. The guy is/was a transcendent talent. A HOF talent? Hard to say. But I've been watching the NFL for 30 years and when a player has the mythical "it", you can kinda just tell. Eifert had "it". 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:03 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I am glad to bring him back on a hopefully team-friendly deal. I would love to get Hockenson but it sure looks like LB in the first. One of the Devins and it looks like White will be gone so I think Devin Bush is the pick and I’m good with that.

I’m glad that he’s getting one more chance. They almost have to go LB.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:38 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People are mostly going off of his 2015 season, when he was on pace for 757 yards and 16 TD's. You can also just look at the offense when he's out there and see the difference. The guy is/was a transcendent talent. A HOF talent? Hard to say. But I've been watching the NFL for 30 years and when a player has the mythical "it", you can kinda just tell. Eifert had "it". 

The thing is, I remember watching that team wishing they'd make him a focal point of the offense more. There were a lot of games where he was only targeted 3 or 4 times. I felt like they could've done more with him.
Reply/Quote

Eifert is not even real.

He is like a rumor.

But, the ghost of Christmas past was real. Scrooge was just talking trash to hide the fact that he was afraid. Being Ironic.
Where's the irony in your post?
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Eifert is not even real.

He is like a rumor.

Bah humbug. 

I'm happy for the signing. Tiny Tyler can play with his crutch if he needs to 
Reply/Quote
Comeback POY!!
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Glad to see it. Eifert is an absolute game changer when he is on the field. As well, he wants to be here and he has a passion for the game. I have never seen someone work so hard to rehab himself to be ready to be back on the field. Many would have given up by now but this young man is absolutely driven. His injuries have not been anything you can train to prevent they unfortunately have been game related accidents.

Glad to see you back Tyler and hopefully this is your season to overcome the injury bug! Thanks for your passion for the game young man.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 02:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The problem with continuing to bring Eifert back is that it prevents the Bengals from actually searching for a reliable #1 TE.

No it doesn't, it doesn't stop them from doing anything. I'm quite sure the coaches and front office are fully aware of Tyler's history, and also have access to his current medicals. They can still search for a reliable #1 TE, and if one falls to us, take them. They just have to find someone as good or better than Eifert when he's on the field. Good luck with that. Welcome back Tyler.... hope you have a great season!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 01:09 AM)NKURyan Wrote: The thing is, I remember watching that team wishing they'd make him a focal point of the offense more. There were a lot of games where he was only targeted 3 or 4 times. I felt like they could've done more with him.

Agreed. Even at his peak, you just got the feeling that he was capable of even more. Unfortunately - for the number of great receivers we had in 2015 - we didn't pass enough. We had one of the most efficient pass games in the NFL and one of the worst rush attacks, yet we finished 26th in pass attempts and 7th in rush attempts.

Limited passing attempts + multiple good targets (Green, Jones, Sanu, Eifert) = some of them were under-utilized. Maybe all of them.

This was a theme of the Marvin Lewis era. Not being able to run the ball well, but almost always being a slightly more run-focused team. It hurt the offense.
Reply/Quote
It seems like he's a professional rehabber. Has any player ever been paid more to rehab than Eifert?  I hope he has at least one injury free season, but it's looking less and less likely.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
its refreshing to.see guys actually want to play for the Bengals.
wasnt that long ago guys could not wait to get out of Cincy.
how quickly we forget our past.
nobody felt worse than Eifert when he got his ankle snapped.
Reply/Quote