Zion
61.90%
13 61.90%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Either/Or (IOL)
Last year the board was pretty much split down the middle on 2 candidates JC and PS. Both kids had fine rookie seasons and I don't think either would have been the "wrong" pick. WTS, leading up to the draft I'm going to do a few either/or to see if I can split the base.

I'll list 2 candidates from similar positions/draft grades and we'll have a playoffs of sorts. We will start it off with IOL.

Who do you want at 31 between the 2:

Tyler Linderbaum

Zion Johnson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted for Johnson because I think he offers more positional flexibility than Linderbaum.
Reply/Quote
Linderbaum. Not close.
Reply/Quote
Zion Johnson immediately becomes the player who can eat the most glass. Teams started defending Burrow by trying to collapse the pocket and let the edge guys rush. The guy is very physical. The decision between the two for me centers on I’d rather have the veteran Karras at center. I’m telling you Zion Johnson will punish people and put them on the ground. The Bengals will be able to run the ball really well anywhere in the line with Zion
Reply/Quote
I've been on the Zion Johnson train since before the 2020 CFB season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
If Tyler Linderbaum is available with the 31st pick, whomever is taking that draft card up to be announced for the Bengals better be sprinting.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 08:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If Tyler Linderbaum is available with the 31st pick, whomever is taking that draft card up to be announced for the Bengals better be sprinting.

Pretty sure they do it electronically. 

Reply/Quote
Linderbaum. The video of him pinning Wirfs in high school had my curiosity, but after his Pro Day he now has my attention.

The Bengals haven’t really ever had an elite center in all the years I’ve been following the team. I’d like to try that out.

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 08:26 PM)Synric Wrote: I've been on the Zion Johnson train since before the 2020 CFB season.

I voted Johnson simply because I have him as a much safer prospect.  
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 10:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Linderbaum. The video of him pinning Wirfs in high school had my curiosity, but after his Pro Day he now has my attention.

The Bengals haven’t really ever had an elite center in all the years I’ve been following the team. I’d like to try that out.

What does it matter that he pinned Wirfs in high school wrestling?  Wirfs is a great professional football player that was also a great high school wrestler, not a great professional football player because he was a great high school wrestler.

I hate to do this, but the Bengals had a great high school wrestler playing at C years ago.  He was a Michigan state champion.  His name was Eric Giaciuc.  
Reply/Quote
Linderbaum.
Of course, I have to suspend my whole Bengals don't know how to draft OL bias.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 12:19 AM)Whatever Wrote: What does it matter that he pinned Wirfs in high school wrestling?  

Well they keep tweaking the Overtime rules. If it ever changes to pick a player to put on a singlet and report to the 50 yard line for a wrestle-off then..

WTS, a wrestling background is a plus for an interior lineman. 

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 12:19 AM)Whatever Wrote: What does it matter that he pinned Wirfs in high school wrestling?  Wirfs is a great professional football player that was also a great high school wrestler, not a great professional football player because he was a great high school wrestler.

I hate to do this, but the Bengals had a great high school wrestler playing at C years ago.  He was a Michigan state champion.  His name was Eric Giaciuc.  

Wirfs is an athletic freak, and one of the best OT’s in the NFL. So to me - it was impressive to see the younger Linderbaum dominate him so easily. If it doesn’t mean anything to you - great.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 12:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, a wrestling background is a plus for an interior lineman. 

Yep. And if you watch the video it’s pretty easy to get pumped up about Linderbaum. Kid is a dog.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 12:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well they keep tweaking the Overtime rules. If it ever changes to pick a player to put on a singlet and report to the 50 yard line for a wrestle-off then..

WTS, a wrestling background is a plus for an interior lineman. 

Could see it in the 48th XFL reboot.

I've done some research on wrestling background with NFL players after this first started being discussed and can't really see any real correlation with success.  Yes, there are plenty of players with a wrestling background who have had NFL success, although the majority I found were LB's and DL. There's way more track and field success stories, though.  There's also a bunch of NFL players that successfully transitioned into pro wrestling, but that's obviously different.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 10:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Linderbaum. The video of him pinning Wirfs in high school had my curiosity, but after his Pro Day he now has my attention.

Arm length matters too much in pass protection.  Yeah, he's a good wrestler.  So what?  He's gonna grapple and hold?  Johnson is the safer pick by far.
Reply/Quote
Zion Johnson, based on positional versatility, appearing to me to be a more complete player, AND he has 34" arm length.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 04:59 AM)Yogo Wrote: Arm length matters too much in pass protection.  Yeah, he's a good wrestler.  So what? He's gonna grapple and hold?  Johnson is the safer pick by far.

It’s just something extra that I like about him, so I mentioned it. Jeez…

It’s not like he doesn’t have fantastic tape (and now testing) to go along with it. And I don’t disagree that Zion is safer. He probably is.

I’d be happy with either one, but I’d be more excited about Linderbaum’s potential. Especially after seeing Creed Humphrey come in and dominate the league during his rookie year. If Linderbaum comes anywhere close to that, and we have Karras playing LG - our OL could be a huge strength.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 04:59 AM)Yogo Wrote: Arm length matters too much in pass protection.  Yeah, he's a good wrestler.  So what?  He's gonna grapple and hold?  Johnson is the safer pick by far.

That's it, time for a Sumo tournament including all interior OL and DL for the upcoming draft!  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 08:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's it, time for a Sumo tournament including all interior OL and DL for the upcoming draft!  Ninja

Quick - who can I dupe into betting on Shelvin…

Reply/Quote