Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Election Challenges, Protests, Conspiracy Theories, and Moral Panics
(02-03-2021, 12:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...so basically people are dumb because you say they are dumb. 

I wouldn't say higher education makes you more intelligent or is a sign of higher intelligence UNTIL this whole Qanon crap started and in my limited experience it is a lot more popular with people I know who didn't go to college than those who did.  I'm sure the college folks all believe some sort of liberal nonsense, but still.  I know people who believe Taco Bell and Pepsi are made with aborted fetuses and democrats eat babies...I didn't meet any of these people in grad school, I'll tells ya that much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 12:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...so basically people are dumb because you say they are dumb. 

No, although there's certainly going to se some subjectivity to such an assessment.  I think AOC is dumb because she gets basic facts wrong, speaks authoritatively on things she's not informed about and generally sounds like an unintelligent person when she speaks.  You don't agree, that's fine.

Also, trust me, if you met the guy I'm talking about you'd agree with me inside of ten minutes.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 12:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think AOC is dumb because she gets basic facts wrong, speaks authoritatively on things she's not informed about and generally sounds like an unintelligent person when she speaks.  

You just described every politician that has ever served. We could legit play a game where you name someone and I go find asinine things said then I name someone and you do the same. 

As I said, anyone who ever supported trickle-down economics had facts wrong, spoke authoritatively on it, and was not informed as we know beyond doubt now it does not work...yet many inside the Republican party still support it.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 12:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't think it's that she is uninformed (though she may be uniformed  Tongue ), it's that she's absolutely as much of a politician as anyone else. With her economics background, she knew it was horse shit when she went on during the spring about how the Fed could give out X amount of money in loans when we could have paid off student debt with that.

She knows how the Fed works. She knows what she said makes no sense. But she also knows the average voter doesn't know that. 

No doubt she plays politics.  That's the difference between her and someone like Greene or Trump.  They honestly don't seem to understand what they are saying while "playing" ploitics.

I know people with a degree that have no common sense.  I know people w/o degrees who are some of the smartest people I've ever interacted with.

I think Ben Carson is a brilliant surgeon but woefully uniformed about a lot of subjects he chose to speak on.

But to call someone "dumb" just because you disagree with them is lowbrow, IMHO.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: I think Ben Carson is a brilliant surgeon but woefully uniformed about a lot of subjects he chose to speak on.

You make a good point here.

Quote:But to call someone "dumb" just because you disagree with them is lowbrow, IMHO.

Good thing no one here is doing that then, eh?
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 12:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: You just described every politician that has ever served. We could legit play a game where you name someone and I go find asinine things said then I name someone and you do the same. 

As I said, anyone who ever supported trickle-down economics had facts wrong, spoke authoritatively on it, and was not informed as we know beyond doubt now it does not work...yet many inside the Republican party still support it.

All true.  However, I doubt you'll find anyone who was artificially elevated, undeservedly so, as quickly as AOC.  She has done literally nothing to earn it.  We shouldn't know how dumb she is any more than all the other dumb people in Congress.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: All true.  However, I doubt you'll find anyone who was artificially elevated, undeservedly so, as quickly as AOC.  She has done literally nothing to earn it.  We shouldn't know how dumb she is any more than all the other dumb people in Congress.

Her rise is partially because of her following, but also partially a political move by Republicans to put a face to "Ultra Left Liberalism". Honestly, it's not much different than what is happening with Taylor-Green or Boebart right now, other than maybe their pre-election histories which are disturbing.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: Her rise is partially because of her following, but also partially a political move by Republicans to put a face to "Ultra Left Liberalism".

Both of these are incorrect.  She was artificially elevated by the MSM because they liked her story and she's moderately attractive.  She didn't really become a target of the GOP until after this occurred and her batshit Green New Deal came out.  The "Deal" that was quickly redacted after people pointed out the more crazy shit in it.  The GOP then seized on an opportunity to make her the face of the Democratic Party, something Pelosi and other old hands know would be a disaster.

Quote:Honestly, it's not much different than what is happening with Taylor-Green or Boebart right now, other than maybe their pre-election histories which are disturbing.

Boebart is a better example, but without nearly the amount of impetus behind her as AOC got from the MSM.  Taylor-Green is getting attention because she's a friggen loon.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Both of these are incorrect.  She was artificially elevated by the MSM because they liked her story and she's moderately attractive.  She didn't really become a target of the GOP until after this occurred and her batshit Green New Deal came out.  The "Deal" that was quickly redacted after people pointed out the more crazy shit in it.  The GOP then seized on an opportunity to make her the face of the Democratic Party, something Pelosi and other old hands know would be a disaster.

I have to disagree. She hadn't even been seated in Congress, let along put forth the Green New Deal, before the GOP started on her. She hadn't even won her election before Fox was targeting her hardcore. The first time I heard of her was due to memes during her initial campaign made from Fox News images.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have to disagree. She hadn't even been seated in Congress, let along put forth the Green New Deal, before the GOP started on her. She hadn't even won her election before Fox was targeting her hardcore. The first time I heard of her was due to memes during her initial campaign made from Fox News images.

I suppose we have a different definition of what being targeted is then.  She was elevated to god tier by the MSM the minute she won the Dem primary.  The GOP did go after her not long after that, but nothing like they did after the Green New Deal.  I suppose we're arguing semantics here, but they didn't really try and paint her as the face of the Democratic Party until after that train wreck rollout.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I suppose we have a different definition of what being targeted is then.  She was elevated to god tier by the MSM the minute she won the Dem primary.  The GOP did go after her not long after that, but nothing like they did after the Green New Deal.  I suppose we're arguing semantics here, but they didn't really try and paint her as the face of the Democratic Party until after that train wreck rollout.

I remember the meme about, I think it was our good friend Tucker but it could've been someone else on there, listing all of these "horrible" things AOC was for and ti being during the primary in 2018. Fox News isn't running a segment on their primetime shows about just any ol' potential freshman Congressional candidate (she wasn't even the Dem candidate at this point). I was volunteering with the Dems for that election cycle and this was the first I had heard about her and it was after that where other Dems in my area started learning about her and glomming on. Fox News created that beast.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 03:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I remember the meme about, I think it was our good friend Tucker but it could've been someone else on there, listing all of these "horrible" things AOC was for and ti being during the primary in 2018. Fox News isn't running a segment on their primetime shows about just any ol' potential freshman Congressional candidate (she wasn't even the Dem candidate at this point). I was volunteering with the Dems for that election cycle and this was the first I had heard about her and it was after that where other Dems in my area started learning about her and glomming on. Fox News created that beast.

I think we disagree on the timeline here.  The first I ever heard of her was when she won the primary and the MSM anointed her.  I do recall Fox going after her then, but it was definitely after the MSM made such a big deal about her.  
Reply/Quote
Mellow

[Image: EtUWH4RXEAMAH6K?format=png&name=small]

[Image: EtUWIycWgAEnyCk?format=png&name=small]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 03:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think we disagree on the timeline here.  The first I ever heard of her was when she won the primary and the MSM anointed her.  I do recall Fox going after her then, but it was definitely after the MSM made such a big deal about her.  

After looking up the articles, it does seem the Fox News piece was in July and her primary was in June. I thought that was during the primary because that was the first I'd ever heard of her.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 03:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think we disagree on the timeline here.  The first I ever heard of her was when she won the primary and the MSM anointed her.  I do recall Fox going after her then, but it was definitely after the MSM made such a big deal about her.  

We all have things that we notice, but I feel like I first noticed her because the right-wing media being the party of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" was having a big laugh at her because she used to be a bartender.  
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We all have things that we notice, but I feel like I first noticed her because the right-wing media being the party of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" was having a big laugh at her because she used to be a bartender.  

Honestly, I had forgotten about her for a while, then there was the whole situation with the Speakership. Then there was her dancing.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, I had forgotten about her for a while, then there was the whole situation with the Speakership. Then there was her dancing.

Was it better than this?

[Image: tenor.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We all have things that we notice, but I feel like I first noticed her because the right-wing media being the party of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" was having a big laugh at her because she used to be a bartender.  

Very true.  I remember the anchors on MSNBC and CNN absolutely gushing over her the day after the primary.  

(02-03-2021, 05:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, I had forgotten about her for a while, then there was the whole situation with the Speakership. Then there was her dancing.

Ugh, that whole dancing thing was pure cringe from all angles.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 05:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Very true.  I remember the anchors on MSNBC and CNN absolutely gushing over her the day after the primary.  

Liberals gonna gush over a minority woman with a relatable background getting into the millionaires club. Picture republicans getting an assault rifle that has gained enough sentience to fear Christian God elected and you have an idea of the elation it would cause.
Reply/Quote

That one made me like her a little bit more.  Someone released a video of her dancing in college to, make her out to be less than serious I guess?  And she responds by posting another video of her dancing.  Pretty savvy.
Reply/Quote