Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Election Interference via Executive Order?
Based upon the items listed in this article, it sure seems like that may be the case.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-voter-registration-meeting-raises-eyebrows-on-capitol-hill-election-interference/ar-BB1lWYVr?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=9dbf35afb60a4f83a8c336adf835ff31&ei=64

Quote:House Republicans investigating the Biden administration ahead of the 2024 election are raising concerns over revelations from documents reported by the Washington Examiner about a key meeting between the White House and left-wing activists on voter registration.

GOP lawmakers are growing increasingly worried that an executive order issued by President Joe Biden in 2021, which mandated that federal agencies develop voter registration plans with "approved" outside groups, will be unlawfully weaponized this November to boost Democratic turnout. The Biden administration has framed the unprecedented operation as nonpartisan, though internal documents show the government hosted a July 2021 order planning call that appeared to serve overwhelmingly as a platform for left-wing organizations to suggest sweeping election policy changes.

"President Biden’s EO is an overreach of the executive branch’s constitutional authority and disregards the Constitution’s federalist election system," House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer (R-KY) told the Washington Examiner. "The states set the time, manner, and place of their own elections, and this EO must be looked at seriously."

House Republican Conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik (R-NY) said the internal meeting notes reveal "illegal coordination" between the Biden administration and progressive activists to plot "election interference," adding that lawmakers are investigating the 2021 executive order "to ensure our elections are free and fair." Stefanik is widely considered as in the running to be former President Donald Trump's vice presidential pick in 2024.

According to a RealClearPolitics polling average, Trump leads Biden by roughly 1 percentage point. To Republicans, who have launched investigations into Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's funding of a progressive-left group that lawmakers say helped tilt the 2020 election for Democrats, the 2021 "Bidenbucks" order is legally questionable. The order directs agencies to solicit and facilitate the approval of "nonpartisan third-party organizations and state officials to provide voter registration services on agency premises."

The order, in the minds of lawmakers and conservative legal experts, is unconstitutional and flouts numerous federal rules, including the Antideficiency Act, which bars federal agencies from spending funds beyond those approved through Congress, and the Hatch Act, a law restricting government employees from engaging in certain political activities.

The meeting notes reviewed by the Washington Examiner, which were obtained through separate records requests by the conservative Heritage Foundation's Oversight Project and Foundation for Government Accountability, show attendees from activist groups discussed topics such as registering illegal immigrants and integrating voter registration into public housing as a requirement under federal law. The Oversight Project said in a memo last week that it's clear the 2021 executive order is a partisan "attempt to influence the outcome of future elections through the use of federal resources, infrastructure, and reach."

The 2021 meeting was virtual over the platform Zoom and attended by representatives from the Executive Office of the President and the Department of Justice, among other agencies, as well as staffers from groups such as the Soros-backed Open Society Policy Center, End Citizens United, and eBay founder Pierre Omidyar’s Democracy Fund.

Stewart Whitson, an attorney who works for the Foundation for Government Accountability, said the touted proposal related to public housing is evidence of a coordinated effort between the White House and left-wing activists to target vulnerable populations determined to be likely Biden voters through the unlawful order. The housing proposal was mentioned at the 2021 meeting by Laura Williamson, a then-employee at the left-wing Demos think tank who now works for the Southern Poverty Law Center. GOP lawmakers have said Demos crafted a document in 2020 that ended up appearing “nearly identical” to the Biden order.

Like other lawmakers, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) said the meeting notes reveal a coordinated and since-secretive effort by Biden to work with progressives "to figure out a way to leverage federal resources and enhance Democrat political power."

"It's all political in nature, and it's totally wrong," Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) told the Washington Examiner.

At the 2021 Zoom meeting, a representative from the League of Women Voters urged agencies to register people to vote at citizen and naturalization ceremonies run by federal courts.

Meanwhile, one representative from the Sentencing Project, a left-wing group that supports defunding prisons, called for the use of federal resources to register inmates to vote in prisons, noting, "Felony disenfranchisement is voter suppression."

The 2021 executive order at the center of the meeting has also prompted an investigation by the GOP-led House Small Business Committee, which is looking into the Small Business Administration over its voter registration efforts.

One lawmaker on the panel, Rep. Dan Meuser (R-PA), said it's clear Biden is working hand in hand with progressives — not nonpartisan groups — "to enlist the federal government in a national voter registration operation" that is likely unlawful.

The House Small Business Committee is, in particular, "extremely concerned that the Biden administration is using the SBA as a campaign arm in the battleground state of Michigan," according to Rep. Roger Williams (R-TX), the panel's chairman.

"My colleagues and I are troubled by this alleged electioneering and allocation of taxpayer dollars to activities blatantly outside of the SBA’s jurisdiction," Williams said. "The committee will continue to use every tool at our disposal to stop these blatant political acts."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Voter registration is election interference?
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 01:34 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Voter registration is election interference?

Yes.

See the republicans don't have a ground team to do these things because so much money is going to Trump's legal defense (for one reason) so if the Democrats are being smart and registering people to vote , encouraging people to vote, spending money on getting out the vote then it MUST be election interference because anything that might make Trump lose is election interference.

It's obvious.
Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 01:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes.

See the republicans don't have a ground team to do these things because so much money is going to Trump's legal defense (for one reason) so if the Democrats are being smart and registering people to vote , encouraging people to vote, spending money on getting out the vote then it MUST be election interference because anything that might make Trump lose is election interference.

It's obvious.
Mellow

Lots of New registrations in areas with a lot of new illegal immigrants
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 02:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Lots of New registrations in areas with a lot of new illegal immigrants

Nah.  That's too obvious.

They'll probably bus them to all the really deep red areas to swing those elections. Mellow

Of course they'd be caught too.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 01:34 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Voter registration is election interference?

It is when they're only coordinating with "approved" groups from just one political party...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 04:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It is when they're only coordinating with "approved" groups from just one political party...

So now the right has a problem with more registered voters in our representative democracy? That’s kind of the whole point of a representative democracy is it not?

When a political party is scared of more people registering to vote in a democracy… It makes me think there might be a problem with that party.

In Ohio party affiliation has nothing to do with voter registration until you go to vote in a partisan primary and ask for a specific party ballot.

Freaking ridiculous the right wing disdain for democracy.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 07:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So now the right has a problem with more registered voters in our representative democracy? That’s kind of the whole point of a representative democracy is it not?

When a political party is scared of more people registering to vote in a democracy… It makes me think there might be a problem with that party.

In Ohio party affiliation has nothing to do with voter registration until you go to vote in a partisan primary and ask for a specific party ballot.

Freaking ridiculous the right wing disdain for democracy.

No need to be deliberately obtuse. There were only activist groups on behalf of the democratic party in on the Zoom meeting, thus the "approved" groups. If they are funding these efforts with money contributed by Americans from both sides of the aisle, then both sides need to share the benefit of these "registration drives".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No need to be deliberately obtuse. There were only activist groups on behalf of the democratic party in on the Zoom meeting, thus the "approved" groups. If they are funding these efforts with money contributed by Americans from both sides of the aisle, then both sides need to share the benefit of these "registration drives".

Shit pisses me off. One of the two major political parties in my country has a problem with people registering to vote. This is a democracy. How does that make any sense? To be against registering new voters? Dictator/authoritarian type vibes. And we have all seen how willing Trump voters are to go down that path.

Party affiliation has nothing to do with registering to vote.

I could be mistaken. But party affiliation has no bearing unless it is a closed primary.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 07:34 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Shit pisses me off. One of the two major political parties in my country has a problem with people registering to vote. This is a democracy. How does that make any sense? To be against registering new voters? Dictator/authoritarian type vibes. And we have all seen how willing Trump voters are to go down that path.

Party affiliation has nothing to do with registering to vote.

I could be mistaken. But party affiliation has no bearing unless it is a closed primary.

Yeah, it pisses me off, too that one of the two major political parties wants to act sneaky and underhanded in an attempt to gain an edge by using taxpayer dollars contributed by folks from both sides.  Mellow

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 07:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, it pisses me off, too that one of the two major political parties wants to act sneaky and underhanded in an attempt to gain an edge by using taxpayer dollars contributed by folks from both sides.  Mellow

So is it hypocrisy that we haven't seen the outrage from the conservatives here, where multiple state legislatures are doing all they can to interfere and block minority voting?

What's worse?  Making it more difficult for a specific portion of the voting public to vote at all, where they generally represent votes for the other team or encouraging people to register to vote regardless of their party affiliation?

Ok I'll just come out and say it......Outrage over this this is the EPITOME of hypocrisy, but red legislatures limiting voting options and voting rights is "ok".

Note:  Registered Republican here.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 08:12 PM)Stewy Wrote: Note:  Registered Republican here.

Yeah, we know. For some reason, you and your friends keep pointing that out. 
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 08:12 PM)Stewy Wrote: Note:  Registered Republican here.

I accept that as proof there is some common sense left over there.
Reply/Quote
I am curious about the context of it all. Given that the sourcing came from the Washington Examiner, a publication with a, let's say tentative grasp on the facts, I have some skepticism.

In looking over the EO in question, I don't see any issues with it, really: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/03/07/executive-order-on-promoting-access-to-voting/

So I would like to know more about the context behind this news article.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Board members lose credibility with each cry of No Democracy as they cheer on an attempt to keep Trump off the ballot and put him in jail. Democrats think independents are just plain stupid and won't notice the 3rd world country crap going after Trump.

They have most of the eggs in the let's get Trump basket. But it appears the idiots like Bragg and Garland have turned the basket upside down.

Less than 6 months to see if Democrats can convince voters who can't afford groceries and ret watching illegal immigrants get free housing and groceries.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Interesting how the meaning of "election interference" has expanded and diluted since 

Trump considered seizing voting machines in swing states, then instead

sent 7 slates of false electors and a mob to the Capitol to change a valid election outcome. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 11:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Board members lose credibility with each cry of No Democracy as they cheer on an attempt to keep Trump off the ballot and put him in jail. Democrats think independents are just plain stupid and won't notice the 3rd world country crap going after Trump.

They have most of the eggs in the let's get Trump basket. But it appears the idiots like Bragg and Garland have turned the basket upside down.

Less than 6 months to see if Democrats can convince voters who can't afford groceries and ret watching illegal immigrants get free housing and groceries.

And Republicans think Independents are stupid and will ignore Trump’s criminality just like they do. So we’re at an impasse

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 01:21 AM)pally Wrote: And Republicans think Independents are stupid and will ignore Trump’s criminality just like they do.  So we’re at an impasse

In defense of Republicans, 2016 is proof that Independents can be pretty ***** stupid.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
Smoke beginning to accumulate, subpoena issued in the matter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbusiness/biden-administration-receives-subpoena-over-inappropriate-swing-state-voter-registration-push/ar-BB1lZDnL?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=fd2016ca58ba45429c0ab95de6c75eb5&ei=17

Quote:On Tuesday, the House Committee on Small Business subpoenaed the Small Business Administration, claiming that the Biden administration was possibly violating the Constitution by funneling resources to register voters in the swing state of Michigan.

SBA chief of staff Arthur Plews and his special adviser, Tyler Robinson, were subpoenaed after they reportedly didn't show up at scheduled transcribed interviews with the committee and didn't turn over documents related to a program allegedly "diverting its resources away from assisting Main Street so it can register Democrat voters." This is the first time the agency has been subpoenaed by the committee, per Fox News.

In March, the SBA and the Michigan Department of State announced a joint effort to "promote civic engagement and voter registration in Michigan," which will last through Jan. 1, 2036. This coordinated effort came from a 2021 executive order from Biden prompting federal agencies to push for greater access to voting.
According to a press release, SBA Administrator Isabel Casillas Guzman said the collaboration "will help connect Michiganders to vital voter registration information from the State of Michigan so that more small business owners can exercise their right to vote."

As part of the Biden administration's effort, the Michigan Department of State would "create a unique URL for the SBA to use to drive online visitors to register to vote." Meanwhile, the SBA’s Michigan field office would permit state government officials to coordinate in-person voter registration during the agency’s business outreach events.

Biden's business regulations are ‘killing' small business: Rep. Roger Williams
However, Republicans raised concerns that the move was a ploy by President Joe Biden to use a government agency to register voters in a highly competitive swing state.

"The committee has given these two individuals the opportunity to speak with us voluntarily without taking these actions, but this appears to be the only way to get them to comply with our oversight responsibilities,” House Small Business Committee Chairman Roger Willams (R-TX) told the outlet. "The SBA's sole mission is to help Main Street thrive and grow, and they have repeatedly strayed from that mission to pursue outside political objectives. It's unfortunate that we have arrived at this point, but this Committee is determined to get answers on behalf of the American people."

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

"The SBA’s MOU with the Michigan Department of State is improper, inappropriate, and perhaps, unconstitutional," Williams said last month.

The House Small Business Committee found that 22 out of 25 of these outreach events took place in counties with the highest population of the Democratic National Committee's target demographics, and 11 of 15 Michigan counties showing the largest growth in voter registration over the past year were ranked highest in young voters and black voters.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I really do think that the biggest problem right now is that Congressional approval ratings are abysmal and there is a large portion of the country that does not see Congress as an entity functioning in good faith. I mean, the spread on the approval polling average, the SPREAD, is over 50 percentage points meaning there are over 50% more people in the country that disapprove of what Congress is doing than approve of it. We should not at all be surprised at this sort of thing right now.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote