Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Election Interference via Executive Order?
(05-08-2024, 10:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I really do think that the biggest problem right now is that Congressional approval ratings are abysmal and there is a large portion of the country that does not see Congress as an entity functioning in good faith. I mean, the spread on the approval polling average, the SPREAD, is over 50 percentage points meaning there are over 50% more people in the country that disapprove of what Congress is doing than approve of it. We should not at all be surprised at this sort of thing right now.

That statistic isn't really that surprising. According to the 538 (thanks for turning me onto that site), neither of our presidential candidates is close to having a positive approval/opinion number. As of yesterday, 56.8% of Americans disapprove of Joe Biden and 53.2% have a negative opinion of DJT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 11:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That statistic isn't really that surprising. According to the 538 (thanks for turning me onto that site), neither of our presidential candidates is close to having a positive approval/opinion number. As of yesterday, 56.8% of Americans disapprove of Joe Biden and 53.2% have a negative opinion of DJT.

Yeah, but the spread is not even close. The spread for Biden is like 17.7% whereas the spread for Congress is 50.5%. I really think the dysfunction in the House made it worse, and the whole situation with the Biden investigations being a lot of bluster as well. I am actually surprised to see that even SCOTUS has a wider spread than either Biden or Trump with a spread of 20.1% disapproval.

I will be honest, if it wasn't for such a partisan divide this would be a ripe opportunity for a revolution. I just don't see a coalition happening around the idea with such a deep distrust of the other side. Both sides look at the other as the blame rather than looking towards the elite pulling the levers. It's almost like it is somehow designed that way.

Hmm

At lodge on Monday, before we actually opened because no politics are to be discussed in the lodge room itself, we were talking about all of this and the virtues of former presidents. We talked about how we would prefer people with principles they stand up for, even if we don't agree with them, over the lot we seem to get these days.

And to be fair, I see Biden as doing so more than Trump, but I still see some faults in him with that regard.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote